Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Discontinuing the Closure Spreadsheets

Post by mbino16
Hi everybody,

With the rollout of the new Events Editor, we'll be discontinuing the Closure Spreadsheets on July 25.

For long term closures (or a regularly repeating closures), please create them as Real Time Closure (RTC).
For shorter construction closures, please create an event with category "Construction" and associate the closures to the event.

Please feel free to reach out with any questions.

Thanks!
Maiyan and The Localization (Closures) Team
mbino16

POSTER_ID:17039464

Send a message

Post by GizmoGuy411
mbino16 wrote:Hi everybody,

With the rollout of the new Events Editor, we'll be discontinuing the Closure Spreadsheets on July 25.

For long term closures (or a regularly repeating closures), please create them as Real Time Closure (RTC).
For shorter construction closures, please create an event with category "Construction" and associate the closures to the event.

Thanks!
Could you elaborate on why you advised us to create a Construction Event for short term closures but not for long term ones? This seems convoluted. Before I give out advice to editors in my region and get questions, I felt I should ask for clarification.

Thanks.
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. based Global Champ Emeritus
U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
U.S. Great Lakes ARC: IL, IN, MI, OH, WI
(and past GLR RC)
AM: NW OH, NE IN, SE MI
Wiki Profile
Verizon: Google Pixel XL3 & iPad "3"

Post by HavanaDay
So I just took a spin on using this after your post here and have a few questions.

1) Can we work on extending the 24 character limit for Event Names?

2) Are you wanting us to put all Construction Closures like Bridge Repairs (Big in the region I edit) through the events editor? If this is the case do we no longer consider this to be a Mega Traffic Event type deal just a plan old event calendar?

3) If 2 is a yes, due to the character limitation, there will be no way for an editor to distinguish (at least not what I saw in my particular editor) between the different construction closures that have no city listed. Even if a city is listed, I could see a scenario of still having to hunt and peck your way around multiple (in my instance) Bridge Replacement closures.

4) Lastly, Is the idea to put every type road closure into the event editor. Like I said I have one here I did as a test hit submit. Checked on the mte page and see it there along with a multitude of other ones. Should I be hitting the submit button to send it to Waze?
HavanaDay
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by hmarian
Hello Maiyan.
This is very frustrating that Waze making this kind of decision without consulting with the community leaders.
RTC has the limitation of 180 days closure and no longer than 365 days into the future, which may cover the majority of scenarios yet sometime we have closures that are longer than 180 days or we need to set them more than 365 days into the future and for some of them we have used the closure sheets.
Additional benefit of the closure sheets was setting recurring closures for certain days of the week. Some community members came up with some very useful scripts to help us set those and avoid the use of closure sheets, yet it is probably better if WME supports this at some point of time. I will appreciate knowing if this is planned.
I'm wondering if the limitations on RTC, in particular the 365 days, will be lifted as well after July 25?
hmarian
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message

Device: Samsung Galaxy S20+
Waze Version: 4.90.90.901
Country Manager: Canada
Area Manager: Greater Toronto Area, Buffalo (NY), Binyamina (Israel)
Android/WME Beta Tester
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Editing Manual | Editing Best Practice | @Waze_Canada

Post by hmarian
Thank you Maiyan. I'm all for letting us do it all. Just give us the tools. I'm looking forward to see the solutions you are working on being added to WME.
hmarian
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message

Device: Samsung Galaxy S20+
Waze Version: 4.90.90.901
Country Manager: Canada
Area Manager: Greater Toronto Area, Buffalo (NY), Binyamina (Israel)
Android/WME Beta Tester
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Editing Manual | Editing Best Practice | @Waze_Canada

Post by mbino16
Hi Hagay,
We understand this is not the ideal situation, but we are trying to develop product solutions to support the issues you addressed. The communities can continue using the spreadsheets for their own tracking uses if it helps them (as Canada does)

As a first stage, we are trying to make the process more efficient (while developing solutions to the problems you mentioned). This starts by moving as many actions as possible directly to the WME. We really appreciate the communities efforts and are working on ways to help you within the product.

Thanks,
Maiyan
mbino16
Send a message

Post by mbino16
GizmoGuy411 wrote:
mbino16 wrote:Hi everybody,

Thanks!
Could you elaborate on why you advised us to create a Construction Event for short term closures but not for long term ones? This seems convoluted. Before I give out advice to editors in my region and get questions, I felt I should ask for clarification.

Thanks.
Hi GizmoGuy411,
Thank you for being so thorough. Your feedback helps us improve our tools. The product team has now removed the time limit on construction events, so any construction (regardless of time...a change from my original message), can be created through the new events tool.

t0cableguy wrote:Have we solved the issue of inputting repeating nightly closures. You guys have not given us the ability to set a closure to repeat nightly, we have to manually input those closures individually. The only efficient option for those is to use a restriction. That is mostly what we use the waze closure sheet for in the USA at this time.
Hi t0cableguy,
We are working on it. I know its not ideal, but as a first stage we need to move as many actions directly to the WME and away from spreadsheets.

Thank you both for the feedback and questions!
-Maiyan
mbino16
Send a message

Post by t0cableguy
Have we solved the issue of inputting repeating nightly closures. You guys have not given us the ability to set a closure to repeat nightly, we have to manually input those closures individually. The only efficient option for those is to use a restriction. That is mostly what we use the waze closure sheet for in the USA at this time.
t0cableguy
Send a message
I'm no longer editing. Please don't contact me with things regarding Waze, unless you want the info on how to take over the SE URcomments list. Then email or send me a message on GHO at gmail.com t0cableguy@