Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.
Post by SuperDave1426
BellHouse wrote:When it was decided to remove the unconfirmed highlight at dead-end nodes it was requested by some high-rank editors (like me ;)) to keep the highlight for diagnostic purposes, to monitor how or if Waze is changing anything at dead-end nodes (in the object model, for instance). So to my knowledge is was never the purpose to check the red/green status of u-turns, simply because it doesn't do this, and never did.
Right, I get that. It's just that to me, if the purpose is to see if a U-Turn is enabled at an end node (even though we can't/shouldn't disable them), it seems that it would be a lot more useful to have it show a U-Turn marker (I've never seen a "soft" U-Turn, anywhere...). Using the "unconfirmed turn" marker is just really counter-intuitive.

I can agree in principal of high-levels maybe wanting to see that stuff, but use the right marker! :D If I'd seen a U-Turn marker showing up at the end again, I'd have figured that Waze had finally gotten around to doing it, and my posting here would have been a request for an option to turn off end-point U-Turn markers (since having the markers at a junction can still be handy, even for those who don't want a sea of U-Turn markers at every end point), and not "Why am I suddenly seeing a bunch of end-point unconfirmed turn markers?"
The more we discuss this issue, the more I feel we should simply dump the purple question marks, as they are reason for many misunderstandings.
Might not be a bad idea, over all. Since those aren't anything that we should be doing anything with, it might be best to not place the temptation there... :D
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by t0cableguy
Yay thank you for the quick fix! Iwas just getting used to all the permalink goodies! Thanks for all the work you guys put into this script!
t0cableguy
Send a message
I'm no longer editing. Please don't contact me with things regarding Waze, unless you want the info on how to take over the SE URcomments list. Then email or send me a message on GHO at gmail.com t0cableguy@

Post by taco909
doctorkb wrote:There's inconclusive evidence for both sides. You don't have to rebuild the roundabout (i.e., that's up to you, the editor), but it *may* represent a problem.
The main thing that bugs me about it is that since it is completely rebuilding, WME then puts the updating editor's name on as the creator. That doesn't bother me for a roundabout on a street that is unquestionably justified, but we have a lot of little ones in parking lots that perhaps should not be mapped, but they are, and when deleted, someone comes along and rebuilds them after a few weeks.

One of my favorite features though, is the ability to convert a roundabout into a round road.
Very handy for "lollipops" where the loop is justified by the diameter of the park in the center, and for those "interesting" bits of architecture where round parking lots circle a building.
I do wish we weren't limited to 100m... I had one a few weeks ago that was around 130m and had to build it manually.
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
Likewise, Select entire road will either tell you if you have a common name, or will stop the selection where it changes.
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
SkiDooGuy wrote:Would it be possible to either create an option or disable the geo node simplifier from affecting Freeways? I always get wary when I see it hit a freeway.

Sometimes a lot of nodes are placed on purpose, and even if they aren't this tool grabs everything in view. So if a freeway is just poking in a certain part of the window you can get it on accident.
I haven't used this... it is a mass-edit tool? That is dangerous even away from freeways as sometimes wayfinding segments are a very careful balance. I was under the impression this tool was along the lines of "1" (which is a great tool!)
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
doctorkb wrote:
Taco909 wrote:I haven't used this... it is a mass-edit tool? That is dangerous even away from freeways as sometimes wayfinding segments are a very careful balance. I was under the impression this tool was along the lines of "1" (which is a great tool!)
I think your "dangerous" comment is unwarranted.

It removes geometry nodes that don't affect the trajectory of the road. That means that the wayfinding segments wouldn't be affected (unless you used several geonodes to make a curve that was overly smooth -- it may remove some of the intermediate nodes, but nothing that affects the routing instructions.

That said, this is actually safer that the "1" tool -- it only deletes unnecessary geonodes, rather than geonodes that you either don't see, or you don't think are necessary. The "1" tool is more likely to cause problems for the wayfinding segments you're concerned with, etc.
Perhaps the term was too strong, and I did not realize this was available only to L5 and *M.
Concerns respectfully withdrawn.
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
PesachZ wrote:
doctorkb wrote:Rdnnk- can you try clicking on the node that is in the lollipop and then pressing "q"? That should fix it...
I just made one of these loops, confirmed it was throwing errors, then fixed it pressing Q. It worked.
I think "Q" will fix a true lollipop made from a single segment (A at the base, B self-connects on the "stick") but I think it pukes on a self-connected loop where node A and B do not exist as separate entities, such as if someone were to attempt to create a roundabout at the end of a single segment... we have A-B for the "stick" but the "candy" has only a blue dot (IE, where you can not simply pull the "B" node away from the loop.)

I honestly don't understand why WME is not patched to prevent these from being formed in the first place, just as you cannot form a roundabout in an open area with no attached segments.
They could simply patch it so that a node can not connect to a segment that does not yet have an ID assigned (which happens at the time the termination node is formed if I understand that correctly) to a segment that is already attached to that node, or to a node that is attached to a segment that is already attached (directly) to the node.
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
PesachZ wrote:WME already prevents you from making these kinds of things, they can only be made after the fact by deleting the extra nodes on the loop.
Good.
That explains why I've been finding lollipops with no connectivity on the B node, but rarely find the problematic ones.
You can tell I haven't tried to make one ;)
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
sketch wrote:It's still 15m here as of a few weeks ago.
Not reliably.

I've been running some testing to pin down the actual limits when turn geometry is taken into account on shorter segments, but on an unrelated editing issue I discovered two nearby intersections, both 13m, one would consistently route a u-turn off of Livemap and the other would not. The only difference between the two that I recall at the moment was the turn angle (and they were all very close to 90, within 3 or 4 degrees).
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
doctorkb wrote:New: Fancy Permalinks integrated - see new permalink area in lower right for update/unlock request links, etc.
This is funny... I JUST installed that script yesterday :lol:

Do you have a single complete list of the scripts that have been incorporated so we can go through and delete our original scripts to avoid conflicts on future revisions?

So far, I'm aware of Fancy Perma and JNF. Any others?
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich