[Script] WME HN Tool

Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein, Glodenox, JustinS83

Forum rules
Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

DO NOT START a new thread unless it is about a new idea. Keep discussion of existing tools within the main thread for that tool.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Re: [Script] WME HN Tool

Postby abc1357 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:17 am

I like it because it shows who the editor was who nudged the HN. I don't think that's possible on native WME.
-- abc1357 --
California State Manager

[ img ] [ img ] [ img ] [ img ][ img ]
abc1357
State Manager
State Manager

Postby abc1357 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:20 am

Ok. Then, in the last week or so, all the HNs I fixed were unnudged...I couldn't tell then...
-- abc1357 --
California State Manager

abc1357
State Manager
State Manager

Postby abc1357 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:23 pm

Agree with Russ. Thanks Justin!
-- abc1357 --
California State Manager

abc1357
State Manager
State Manager

Postby ajcadoo » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:47 am

I guess not. So this script doesnt work, correct?
ajcadoo
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3

Postby ajcadoo » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:08 pm

JustinS83 wrote:I have little desire to invest time in bringing the feature back (I think I mentioned this previously) as it promotes mass editing with little to no attention to any detail.

The auto-nudge feature allowed a user to nudge dozens of HNs at once but not correctly place a single one to the correct location as specified in the wiki.

The auto-nudge feature does not correctly place the marker, and more importantly, does not correctly place the stop point.

Both of these being correct is important - one for routing, and the other for future developments.

I think it boils down to benefiting the majority of Wazers. Often times as editors, we need to make choices as to what will benefit the largest percentage of users. This feature (in my opinion) is absolutely crucial for navigating onto the correct road. Sure, the stop point may not be exactly at the driveway, but the alternative is to have a stop point on a completely different road.

For instances with straight roads, the necessity for this feature is critical. In LA, we have a lot of alleys and auto-nudging entire blocks of straight road is immensely tedious. A quick nudge of these HNs would solve the issue.

Finally, I'm not sure how frequently editors are auto-nudging curved roads. Is that prevalent? I think mid and senior level editors aren't auto-nudging curved roads due to the repercussions you have explained.

More thorough consideration should be made before discontinuing the feature. You could also uplock the feature to Level 2/3 editors only to ensure proper use of the tool is being made. But I'd love to hear what others have to say.
ajcadoo
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3

Postby ajcadoo » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:09 am

Fair enough assessment. I am just frustrated about having to nudge when it should have been programmed correctly in the first place. Was there a reason HQ programmed Waze to navigate un-nudged HNs to the closest road segment? I find it immensely unintuitive.
ajcadoo
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3

Postby ajcadoo » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:53 pm

I know how it happens, I just don't understand why the Waze dev team coded the Routing Server to navigate to the nearest road segment instead of to the road with the ROAD NAME associated with the address.
ajcadoo
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:43 pm

Finally, thank goodness! Just what the doctor ordered.

Requests:
  1. Make the coloring slightly lighter.
  2. Make the coloring appear even at zoom levels where it isn't possible to edit. Faster identification over a wider area.

I'd love to be able to have a push button to nudge all HNs currently loaded.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:29 pm

SAR85 wrote:Thank you for the suggestions. The "nudge all" idea was brought up before and would be easy to implement but there was some concern about the potential for abuse (mass editing of numbers without confirming they are in fact correct).

I can understand this. However:
  1. You don't get additional points for more than one HN move
  2. The HN location will be the same as where the import placed it, so it would be the same as Google
  3. The stop point will now be on the named street and not on some random alley or street behind the address, which is the cause of so much bad routing to addresses.

KC-Guardrail wrote:While a button to nudge all visible HNs would be nice, I think it would make for sloppy editing. I don't see many HNs that don't require at least a little repositioning to align them with the building structure.

I would argue that despite being possibly misaligned by a bit, but for so many addresses which USPS/Google has located behind closer to an alley or other roadway, just a small nudge will fix those instantly.

KC-Guardrail wrote:Yes, but the ones I deal with are, many times, nowhere near the front of the house. They need to be somewhat close.

Not with House Numbers. Once you nudge a Waze HN any distance at all, the stop point will always be the attached road. If you get routed elsewhere, then the search result you used in the app was not a Waze HN.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:21 pm

KC-Guardrail wrote:True, but in rural settings, HNs can be off by as much as 1/4 mile. Not much help when waze says you're here and there isn't a house in sight. I guess it's my perfectionism that has me putting the stop point as close to the driveway or house front as possible. ;)

Oh yeah, I get this too. I'm surrounded by rural in my home area. For a lot of rural, where long driveways are the norm, and often shared driveways, HNs shouldn't be used at all anyway because they leave you at the street in the dark on a driveway with 5 houses located "somewhere" down the lane...

This functionality certainly has the ability to be abused, I agree. However, abuse is usually performed because of the payback in edits and points, which leads to level increase and ability to more widely edit objects locked at higher levels. Because of where the HN tool even becomes active in the HN interface, you are locked to a single selected group of same-named segments already, and a subset of what is actually loaded in the editor at the moment, too. You can maybe update 8 normal city-block length segments, or possibly 10-15 smaller segments. Even more depending on the segment sizes. However, an abusers time would be much better spent just updating some other aspect of the segments in the main interface. It's quite a waste of time to the general abuser to take the time to enter the HN interface and then mass nudge, save, close, select a different street, etc. etc.

With the HN tool, being a coded extension without source code available, it could be set to allow a "mass nudge" for editors at level 3 and higher or something like that.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Next

Return to Addons, Extensions, and Scripts