[Script] Snapshot Mode

Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Forum rules
Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

DO NOT START a new thread unless it is about a new idea. Keep discussion of existing tools within the main thread for that tool.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Re: [Script] Snapshot Mode

Postby PesachZ » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:45 pm

This is a new feature waze recently developed, who knows maybe it will get better still, this is a huge improvement though over past options. They hadn't planned the release yet so you never know if there was more planned for the feature that we have yet to see.

Sent from Android using Tapatalk
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby CoolCanuck » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:01 pm

vince1612 wrote:I see, then that's awesome, thanks ;)

Do they keep just one copy ? It would be great to be able to go back in time a few updates back.

Sadly yes :(. Oh well :)
CoolCanuck
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby Olestas » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:40 am

OMG, I have no words...
Olestas
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby vince1612 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:04 am

I see, then that's awesome, thanks ;)

Do they keep just one copy ? It would be great to be able to go back in time a few updates back.
vince1612
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby PesachZ » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:44 am

vince1612 wrote:very interesting and useful indeed! Thank you ;)

How does the script know how an area looked before though? I can imagine it would be easy to visually remove recently created segments by comparing the tiles updates date and their latest edits, but for segments that have been deleted, how would it know there was something before?

Do you store a snapshot of the entire WME map somewhere with each new update?

Feeling like I didn't understand the script correctly maybe.. unless this is looking in the past simply by converting how the livemap looks onto WME before an update?

I guess I'm a bit confused :oops: sorry

This is a built in feature in WME. WME is storing the copy, not the script. The script is very simple, all the script does is unhide the title switch for the feature. The feature itself is built by Waze, but normally is hidden from regular editors.

Sent from Android using Tapatalk
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby vince1612 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:28 am

very interesting and useful indeed! Thank you ;)

How does the script know how an area looked before though? I can imagine it would be easy to visually remove recently created segments by comparing the tiles updates date and their latest edits, but for segments that have been deleted, how would it know there was something before?

Do you store a snapshot of the entire WME map somewhere with each new update?

Feeling like I didn't understand the script correctly maybe.. unless this is looking in the past simply by converting how the livemap looks onto WME before an update?

I guess I'm a bit confused :oops: sorry
vince1612
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby ottonomy » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:59 am

Thank you, CoolCanuck! This is going to be an amazing recovery and diagnosis tool, among other things. I keep thinking of different uses. One which just occurred to me: When mentoring a new editor, I often want to refer back to how something was before an edit, to explain why it's better one way or the other. This will allow me to do repetitive A/B comparisons even if I've forgotten to get a screenshot of something, or the person I'm teaching saves something before it was completely ready. Or if another editor comes along to join the discussion after changes have been made, and wants to see how it was... I could keep going, but suffice it to say, this is awesome!
ottonomy
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby PesachZ » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:13 am

[ img ]
Regular WME view

Below the same spot in snapshot mode
[ img ]

You can see how this can be immensely helpful
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

[Script] Snapshot Mode

Postby CoolCanuck » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:30 am

Hi all,

I would like to share something I came across. This script will show a link titled "Enable Snapshot Mode" in the top left corner beside the country selection menu on the editor page.

I'm not certain what Snapshot mode does, but it looks like it allows you to view what the map looks like in-client/before the next map tile update. For segments, not places. This tool could be used to help revert vandalism, or to recover from a bad edit (etc).

Waze staff says this is OK-to-share. (Thanks for the communication, PesachZ!)

Any feedback/comments are appreciated :)

Important: You MUST have your WME top bar enabled (where it says Live map, your username, country etc).

There are currently two versions available:
Bookmarklet Page - do not drag this, click for page to add bookmark. Bookmarklet is a toggle. There will be no option in the top right added, it's just an on/off button itself.
Userscript (Grease/Tampermonkey)

PesachZ's description:
Code: Select all
Allows you to preview a section of the map showing it in the state it was when the tiles were last built. This allows you to see how WME looked at the time of the last tile build, and hides any edits made after that point. The code when used puts a link in the top right of WME to "Enter Snapshot Mode", and when used, it reloads the roads as they were at the time of the last tile build. I'm attaching two screenshots to demonstrate (showing an interchange which was edited significantly since the last build but the UR has traces from the old configuration).
It is a tool that could be very helpful when diagnosing routing and user reported issues especially in areas where the map has since been updated. It could even be used to repair damage to the map if we catch it before the tile build by giving us a reference to how it was before.
Last edited by CoolCanuck on Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:25 pm, edited 8 times in total.
CoolCanuck
Beta tester
Beta tester

Previous

Return to Addons, Extensions, and Scripts