[Script] WMEMagic

Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Forum rules
Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

DO NOT START a new thread unless it is about a new idea. Keep discussion of existing tools within the main thread for that tool.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Re: [Script] WMEMagic

Postby dbcm » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:12 pm

subs5 wrote:
dbcm wrote:To all states?
Is there any wiki page with that explanation so Magic can point the editor?

Yes,

Here is the USA Road Types Wazeopedia page.

Banner on the top.

Like this?
Screenshot 2018-06-16 at 18.10.48.jpg
(128.89 KiB) Downloaded 203 times
It's so Magic™ | WURM WURM ⭕️!!!
dbcm
Localizers
Localizers

Postby dbcm » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:35 am

I agree with you, in Portugal it's the same. On the Magic side, since we want most of the landmarks named and want the plugin enabled, the best balance is to add a string as alternative name that Magic will accept as "yes, we want this landmark without a name" and not highlight it.

What do you think?
dbcm
Localizers
Localizers

Postby dbcm » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:33 pm

skubko wrote:When there is a walking trail connected to some road, WME Magic classifies such road segment as "Simplifiable segment", what I believe is not correct... There are many examples around, but if you want, you can check this one.

Fixed. I'm avoiding Virtual Nodes for now.

Version 1.1.1 adds HL for alleys (only enabled in the states)
dbcm
Localizers
Localizers

Postby hbiede » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:41 am

I agree with sketch. I often find the map is too monochromatic, mapping even somewhat insignificant lakes and parks adds a nice aesthetic to the screen
hbiede

Postby jm6087 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:36 am

hbiede wrote:I agree with sketch. I often find the map is too monochromatic, mapping even somewhat insignificant lakes and parks adds a nice aesthetic to the screen

I don't disagree that mapping lakes, trees and parks is not a bad idea. I do think that mapping a group of a dozen or so trees is a bit to much but that is just my opinion. I have no issues if a state/country/region wants to map every grouping of trees and small bodies of water, if that is the route they want to do. If they are mapped then they don't need to flag Magic since most likely they will just be a group of trees and not a named forest.

I know that sketch has added many canals in LA and I think they look good and do help the map.
jm6087
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby SeveriorumPatrem » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:44 pm

jm6087 wrote:
rschalie wrote:Another thing, more content: A lot of notifications on missing names are referring to bits of water or lines of trees. All those bits of water (ponds, ditches) and trees simply don't have names, so would it be possible to relax this requirement a bit?

There are that many ponds, ditches and trees mapped in WME? That seems a bit overboard IMO.

IMO unless it is a major landmark or somehow has a meaningful impact on navigation or situational awareness, and especially considering they aren't named and thus can't be found as a destination, that stuff shouldn't be mapped in the first place, just adds server/client/rendering load and brings no value. I like how Magic highlights these random unhelpful features without names. Click click click. Goodbye, unnamed thing.
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
The Grumpy Dad
L4 AM -- Clark/Cowlitz/Skamania Counties WA US -- York/Seward/Lancaster Counties NE US
Beta Leader - Android

The more I learn, the more I discover how much I don't know.
SeveriorumPatrem
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby SeveriorumPatrem » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:10 pm

sketch wrote:
SeveriorumPatrem wrote:IMO unless it is a major landmark or somehow has a meaningful impact on navigation or situational awareness, and especially considering they aren't named and thus can't be found as a destination, that stuff shouldn't be mapped in the first place, just adds server/client/rendering load and brings no value. I like how Magic highlights these random unhelpful features without names. Click click click. Goodbye, unnamed thing.

First, I do not agree with this mindset. Plenty of unnamed or un-usefully-named bodies of water which are helpful to map for situational awareness. We have a number of drainage canals that run in medians in my area which have names like "Canal no. 3" which are not signed, not useful, and not known to the general public. Nevertheless, the map looks empty without them.

I don't think we are actually far apart on this issue. You'll note the first half of my opening sentence:

SeveriorumPatrem wrote:IMO unless it is a major landmark or somehow has a meaningful impact on navigation or situational awareness...
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
The Grumpy Dad
L4 AM -- Clark/Cowlitz/Skamania Counties WA US -- York/Seward/Lancaster Counties NE US
Beta Leader - Android

The more I learn, the more I discover how much I don't know.
SeveriorumPatrem
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby sketch » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:05 pm

SeveriorumPatrem wrote:
jm6087 wrote:
rschalie wrote:Another thing, more content: A lot of notifications on missing names are referring to bits of water or lines of trees. All those bits of water (ponds, ditches) and trees simply don't have names, so would it be possible to relax this requirement a bit?

There are that many ponds, ditches and trees mapped in WME? That seems a bit overboard IMO.

IMO unless it is a major landmark or somehow has a meaningful impact on navigation or situational awareness, and especially considering they aren't named and thus can't be found as a destination, that stuff shouldn't be mapped in the first place, just adds server/client/rendering load and brings no value. I like how Magic highlights these random unhelpful features without names. Click click click. Goodbye, unnamed thing.

First, I do not agree with this mindset. Plenty of unnamed or un-usefully-named bodies of water which are helpful to map for situational awareness. We have a number of drainage canals that run in medians in my area which have names like "Canal no. 3" which are not signed, not useful, and not known to the general public. Nevertheless, the map looks empty without them.

And please note that policies for mapping natural features are not the same around the world. Many areas in Europe have very visually rich maps which include, for example, forested areas — and, if I'm being honest, I wish we did more of this in the States.

https://www.waze.com/livemap?zoom=13&la ... n=12.27705
[ img ]
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • usa country manager • new orleans
2017 chevrolet ss sedan 6mt • slipstream blue metallic
[ img ] [ img ]
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby skubko » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:10 pm

When there is a walking trail connected to some road, WME Magic classifies such road segment as "Simplifiable segment", what I believe is not correct... There are many examples around, but if you want, you can check this one.
skubko
Country Manager
Country Manager

Return to Addons, Extensions, and Scripts