[Script] Street Vector Layer

Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Forum rules
Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

DO NOT START a new thread unless it is about a new idea. Keep discussion of existing tools within the main thread for that tool.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Re: [Script] Street Vector Layer

Postby SeveriorumPatrem » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:05 am

Two requests for editors using devices with limitations on screen resolution (or limitations on visual acuity who choose to use lower resolution so they can see what they're doing):

1. Can we find a different place to put the link to open the settings control panel, or find an alternate way to open it? With lower screen resolution, even without this script in play, in some locales the imagery copyright notices already run into and through the scale bar and lat/long, and the link to open the settings is pushed into unreachable space. Current workaround is to move the active editor view to someplace known to have a shorter strong of copyright notices.

Picture1.jpg
(13.55 KiB) Downloaded 136 times

2. Can the settings window open a little higher on the screen, or can the settings window be movable? On this device, when it opens, the bottom edge gets pushed off the bottom of the screen.

Picture2.jpg
(30.66 KiB) Downloaded 135 times

Thanks for your consideration!
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
The Grumpy Dad
AM, Clark/Cowlitz/Skamania Counties WA US -- LAM, Nebraska US
Beta Leader - Android

The more I learn, the more I discover how much I don't know.
SeveriorumPatrem
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Glodenox » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:23 am

I'm not certain how the first remark is relevant for Street Vector Layer?

Ideally the copyright notice should just be hidden underneath the controls on the right.

For this to happen now, the object with CSS class olControlAttribution must have the CSS property value "right" increased whenever a script author adds a control there. By default the code assumes that the controls to the right of the attribution text will not take up more space than 250 pixels, but that is already too low from the start as that should be 300 pixels. I'll create a bug report about that in the beta forum. Ideally Waze should use the flex layout there to get a consistent layout in all screen sizes, which would also have the advantage that script authors can safely add controls there without having to do anything special.

attribution-ellipsis.jpg
(13.06 KiB) Downloaded 127 times
Global Champ - Script Writing Community Coordinator
[ img ][ img ]
Glodenox
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby SeveriorumPatrem » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:03 pm

Thanks, this reveals the limitations of my understanding of coding and design, I understand now that this shouldn't occur if the base setup from Waze didn't suffer from (another) design oversight.

That said, design flaws in WME are ubiquitous, and have everything to do with why we have and depend upon so many scripts. I don't have high hopes that Waze will soon (or necessarily ever) fix the copyright notice formatting to the ideal state, so the problem for some will remain. It is for that reason that I made the request. If some aspects of a script are inaccessible due to poor native design by Waze (in this case the link to open Street Vector Layer settings), isn't it the nature of script writers to work around and overcome those flaws, instead of waiting for Waze to fix something to its ideal state?
The Grumpy Dad
Beta Leader - Android

SeveriorumPatrem
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby SeveriorumPatrem » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:27 am

Upon additional rumination, maybe this is a fix request that should be directed to FixUI.... if there is a way to resolve the copyright string issue with a script.....

EDIT: And so I went over there to post about it and see that Glodenox already did. :D 8-)

Change request for Street Vector Layer summarily withdrawn.
The Grumpy Dad
Beta Leader - Android

SeveriorumPatrem
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby bedo2991 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:01 am

Anyway I will try to make the Settings panel draggable when I have some spare time :)
Francesco
Italian Global Champ
New: Street Vector Layer (SVL)
"Slack volant, forum manent"
bedo2991
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby G_W1Z » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:57 pm

I just started using this script and love it! Thank you for your hard work on this!

When I am running this script and toggle it off via the check box in the layer drop-down, it seems that the roads do not seem to display, as if WME is trying to load them. When I refresh, Street Vector Layer turns back on (as it should).

I am running an i7 laptop and internet that gets around 300 mbs download, so I'm not sure that my resources are struggling to download the street layers/tiles. Any suggestions?
G_W1Z
Pennsylvania (USA) LAM
Waze etiquette | Pennsylvania Editing
A Phoenix out of the ashes...
iPhone XS | Apple Car Play
[ img ][ img ][ img ]
G_W1Z
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby bedo2991 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:45 pm

G_W1Z wrote:When I am running this script and toggle it off via the check box in the layer drop-down, it seems that the roads do not seem to display, as if WME is trying to load them. When I refresh, Street Vector Layer turns back on (as it should).

I am running an i7 laptop and internet that gets around 300 mbs download, so I'm not sure that my resources are struggling to download the street layers/tiles. Any suggestions?

When you disable the layer the standard layer does not get enabled back automatically, maybe you just wanted to have a look at the imagery. Did you enable the "Roads" layer back on?
Francesco
Italian Global Champ
New: Street Vector Layer (SVL)
"Slack volant, forum manent"
bedo2991
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby G_W1Z » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:46 pm

bedo2991 wrote:When you disable the layer the standard layer does not get enabled back automatically, maybe you just wanted to have a look at the imagery. Did you enable the "Roads" layer back on?

After toggling off the Street Vector Layer, I can go and toggle off the Roads layer then toggle it back on and the Roads layer shows normally. Works for me. Thanks!
G_W1Z
Pennsylvania (USA) LAM
Waze etiquette | Pennsylvania Editing
A Phoenix out of the ashes...
iPhone XS | Apple Car Play
[ img ][ img ][ img ]
G_W1Z
Area Manager
Area Manager

Previous

Return to Addons, Extensions, and Scripts