External Links Copyright Discussion

Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Moderator: Unholy

Forum rules
Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

DO NOT START a new thread unless it is about a new idea. Keep discussion of existing tools within the main thread for that tool.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Re: [Script] WME Toolbox (>1.4.2.8)

Postby qwaletee » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:43 am

It seems to me that someone at Waze jumped to conclusions. Having a link to someone else's map, especially via third party tools, in no way creates additional liability on Waze's part, nor does removing such links reduce liability. If Waze is found to have infringing data, they're screwed. If not, they aren't.

Waze can try to put up a legal defense, I suppose, that they did everything possible to discourage users from copying, and this adds to it. But it will be a sideshow to the only real question: is their data infringing or not infringing?

The same thing could have bee accomplished by asking that the button pop up a message before opening the other map window: This link is provided for you convenience in viewing another provider's map information. You acknowledge that you are not permitted to use copyrighted information from another source in editing the Waze map. ACKNOWLEDGE / CANCEL o <- check to not show this message for 30 days.

Most of us make all sorts of non-infringing use of other maps. We submit rpeorts to Google. We view signs on Streetview. Yes, you can get Streetview images on WME, but they'r enot as good -- the Window is smaller, and you can't go back to a previous version of the image if the current version is blurred. There are also some sources whose data is freely available that could be linked but now never will, apparently. (Shhh, in the US, we can even view signs in Bing or Nokia's maps for US edits without infringing. YMMV in other countries.)

I hear the pain of users like (I think) SuperDave, who just won't be bothered to submit changes to GMM, or won't be bothered to verify signage beyond what WME provides. I don't think everyone will personally quit those activities, but they may have to have a more motivated moment to do so, which means the quality of editing will sometimes suffer.

It is what it is, and each editor may do as he or she pleases with this result. No need to get upset about it. Frustrated? Yes. Upset? No.

TL;DR: There isn't really a legal reason to have done this. If you are frustrated by it, and it gets in the way of your editing, feel free to stop using other maps in conjunction with your Waze editing. But don't let it get to you, this is not your real life.
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)

Postby KB_Steveo » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:25 am

Permalink:
https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lon=-88.15287&lat=44.31779&layers=901&zoom=6

go to GM, GMM, Bing, etc.
Search for: 44.31779,-88.15287 not hard, just remember to put latitude first.
ImageImageImage
WI State Manager
NE Wisconsin Area Manager (Green Bay / Appleton / Sturgeon Bay)
Wisconsin mapping resources curator
KB_Steveo
State Manager
State Manager

Postby InactiveUser » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:58 am

Here's a bookmarklet to launch Google Map Maker using the current WME coordinates. Simply add as a bookmark in your browser.

== doctorkb removed bookmarklet -- violates spirit of Waze Staff request ==
Last edited by doctorkb on Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed bookmarklet that encouraged third-party map use
InactiveUser

Postby kentsmith9 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:08 am

Waze has a legal obligation to do what it can to reasonably prevent users from using copyrighted sources to create their maps. This is one step. The Google lawyers are part of the Waze infrastructure and they are directly involved with anything legal related to Waze. They are doing everything they can to protect their liability whether we like it or not.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby tonestertm » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:55 am

Just a small bit of perspective: until a little over a year ago (time flies!), these buttons didn't even exist. We did just fine before that. Did they save time? Undoubtedly. Can we edit without them? Unquestionably. Five years' prior experience proved that.

Edit: typo

Edit again: Yes, some of the capability (OSM, LiveMap) was in Addons before it was in Toolbox, but to my recollection, Bing, Google, Mapmaker came later.
Last edited by tonestertm on Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
US Country Manager
The best editors Read the Wiki and read it often. Learn the proper way to handle URs. Don't draw another Place until you read this!
tonestertm
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

RIP

Postby AdreNalinGuY » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:02 am

kentsmith9, You did not update it yet.

KB_Steveo, I love your optimism. It is not the end of the world but it can be the end of editing for some people.

SuperDave1426, I have used the other tools too but come on, the permalinks were worth gold. Without them ToolBox is not ToolBox but some kind of validator. Really frustrating.

khaytsus, Taco909, You guys feel my pain.

CastroBR, Right, if they are truing to hide their stuff then put it under lock. Any one can access it then why can't we? Just because TB had a easier way to do that???

qwaletee, I would like to see someone disputing your comment. I personally feel like Waze is just truing to make our life harder. They don't pay us but they do make money on our work. They could at least make it easier to figure our the issues and fix the maps. I personally don't trust Waze when it comes navigating. I use it from time to time and I run in ditches so many times with it. I like editing and I always believed that one day Waze will become a really cool GPS. I hoped it will get improved and the issues fixed. Day after day I loose the hope.
Last edited by kentsmith9 on Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited for unnecessary content
AdreNalinGuY
-----------------------------------
Jesus Christ is the Lord!
-----------------------------------
IPhone 6 plus
IOS Beta Tester.

AdreNalinGuY

Re: RIP

Postby kentsmith9 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:39 am

AdreNalinGuY wrote:kentsmith9, You did not update it yet.

Update what? Toolbox? Sure did.

Frankly I don't think I ever used those links. My point is the toolbox is doing a great job for many people. Your big red text seems a little overkill for something that was removed for legal reasons.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:14 am

qwaletee wrote:If Waze is found to have infringing data, they're screwed. If not, they aren't.

But it will be a sideshow to the only real question: is their data infringing or not infringing?

No. This is not how copyright works - at least in the US (and the US doesn't have much other protections for data). You have to have copying to have copyright infringement. So you can have the exact same data, but if you independently created it then it is not copyright infringement, while if it was copied from someone else then it can be copyright infringement. What matters is how the data is created, not just whether it turns out to be same as what someone else created. So if waze can say they discouraged things that would promote copying, that is a defense.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0, Waze 3.9.9.907
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

The GoGoogle Bookmarklet is a workaround

Postby BenMimix » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:41 pm

Hello,

I am trying to overcome the death of the Google map toolbox link, so I started to code a small javascript 'bookmarklet' ...

<Edited by author>

Regards,

Ben.
Last edited by BenMimix on Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
=================================
ImageImageImageImage
BenMimix
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby ctpoole » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:52 pm

Couldn't we at least have the link to Livemap back since it is part of Waze? That was the button I used the most anyway. That and Google Map Editor since I was constantly having to fix things that were broken in Google so that Waze routing worked.
Area Manager: Metropolitan Austin, TX
ImageImage
ctpoole
State Manager
State Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Addons, Extensions, and Scripts