Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Forum rules
Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

DO NOT START a new thread unless it is about a new idea. Keep discussion of existing tools within the main thread for that tool.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

External Links Copyright Discussion

Post by Olestas
:(
But why google?? And Waze livemap? At least put livemap back... it was very useful.
Olestas
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

POSTER_ID:1565302

Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
Waze has a legal obligation to do what it can to reasonably prevent users from using copyrighted sources to create their maps. This is one step. The Google lawyers are part of the Waze infrastructure and they are directly involved with anything legal related to Waze. They are doing everything they can to protect their liability whether we like it or not.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
AdreNalinGuY wrote:kentsmith9, You did not update it yet.
Update what? Toolbox? Sure did.

Frankly I don't think I ever used those links. My point is the toolbox is doing a great job for many people. Your big red text seems a little overkill for something that was removed for legal reasons.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
AdreNalinGuY wrote:kentsmith9, There is not much difference between ToolBox now and validator, plus it may be still helpfull for you cause country managers have a lot more tools in toolbox than Rank 3 editors like me.
You are correct that for some of us the tool provides other highly useful functions.
AdreNalinGuY wrote:CBenson, this is clearly not because of copyright. The removal of the live map link doesn't make no sense. There is something else in between but we will never know what. They treat us like minorities, we don't have to know much. Do your job and shut up. At least this is how I feel.
The links to other mapping tools was in a gray copyright area that Waze/Google is not willing to risk given the size of the company. The Live Map link was not. I have not yet spoken to Oyyo on that particular link removal, but my assumption is that can likely be added back in. Note that Oyyo is very busy with real life (like many of us) and may have just removed them all not thinking that Live Map is a Waze tool without copyright restriction considerations.

Maybe we just need to ask him to add it back and not blow up over it. ;)

I have spoken to Waze staff over my 2.5 years of editing. I have been to Israel and spent a few days with their management and editors. I know for a fact that they greatly appreciate all the work and effort of the editing community. I realize some actions may feel as though they don't, but sometimes it is a combination of circumstances that leads to a result that may not make sense to us outsiders.

Don't forget that every one of us has 100% control of whether we are doing any work inside of the Waze maps. If you are too frustrated, just don't log in anymore. Save yourself an ulcer. :mrgreen:
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by khaytsus
SuperDave1426 wrote:
AdreNalinGuY wrote:
Today ToolBox has been killed.

R.I.P.

It will be missed.

Um... Really? You don't use Toolbox for any other function than the now-removed links to other maps? Nothing? At all?

If so, you've been seriously under-using it. :-)
I think his point is, like me, 98% of the clicks in Toolbox was to open stuff in Google Maps to validate something or another. If someone is going to wholesale copy stuff, they'll do it with or without a link, it just makes day to day editing more painful.
khaytsus
Send a message
USA Country Manager
Central Kentucky Area Manager
AT&T LG G2 (AOKP 4.4.4)
Nexus 7 2013 (Cm 13.1)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/334 ... ze-500.gif

Post by khaytsus
SuperDave1426 wrote:I agree completely with what HavanaDay said in an earlier posting - GMM is a PITA to work with on a good day (no, he didn't say that part - that's all me). Without the link button to take me where I'm at in Waze, when I get a "bad address" UR now, I'm just going to tell them that I'm sorry for their inconvenience and that the address location data is in Google Maps, and suggest to them that they use GMM themselves to try and suggest the change to Google, and then close the UR.

But I still find Toolbox useful, if not quite as handy in some regards.
Exactly. This. I'm not going to submit any more updates to Google Maps if this is the thanks we get (making it harder to edit). It's already a frustrating enough experience (GMM is an abortion and updates often go ignored or reverted) so since it's "important" we not be able to even link to Google, I won't submit any more updates to Google Maps.

EDIT: Just to clarify in case it's not clear, I'm not blaming Oyyo at all here.
khaytsus
Send a message
USA Country Manager
Central Kentucky Area Manager
AT&T LG G2 (AOKP 4.4.4)
Nexus 7 2013 (Cm 13.1)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/334 ... ze-500.gif

Post by KuniaKid
Looks to me like Waze is gathering data for a legal argument.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=105736

At any rate, for those of use that used the link to submit errors/corrections to Google, this looks promising.
KuniaKid
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by Leorenaud
OyyoDams wrote:

Code: Select all

Update: References to external maps removed (asked by Waze staff)
Why remove all the references to external maps?????
This was the most useful functionality of the toolbox!!!
Leorenaud
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by lopaolo69
I don't understand why Waze have legal reasons on a not Waze app...

Can be legal have a gun at home but is always not legal use it to hit someone...

Paolo
lopaolo69
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by Olestas
Pizuz wrote: You can click the Livemap link in the top menu bar which brings you to the current location on the livemap.
Thanks, did not know this :roll:

But still, waze uses satellites, addresses and places from google maps and mapmaker. Why are these not allowed?
Olestas
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message