- Magic wand tool - the very same thing as in Photoshop: point on a pixel on the map, click and the tool will create a landmark covering whole area of the same color (see example GIF here)
- Clone landmark (see GIF example here). With this simple tool plus rotate and resize feature (below) you can create dozens of houses in a minute! Press Ctrl (Cmd) + C to Clone.
- Orthogonalize landmark corners - same tool as many of you have seen before in OpenStreetMaps iD editor, will make "almost" straight corners of the selected landmark perfectly straight thus making a beautiful landmarks in mobile clients See example here. Press Ctrl (Cmd) + X to Orthogonalize selected landmark.
You can set "Enable Highlight" option ON to highlight those landmarks that need to be orthogonalized.
- Rotate and resize landmarks option
WME MagicWand has been tested in Chrome and Firefox.
This is the early version, please report any bug you'll encounter and I'll try to fix it ASAP UsageAdvanced editing toolsClone landmark
Select a landmark you want to clone and press "Clone landmark" button on the left hand menu or use Ctrl (Cmd) + C shortcut. The landmark will be cloned with a same venue type but otherwise empty.Orthogonalize landmark
Select a landmark and press "Orthogonalize" button on the left hand menu or use Ctrl (Cmd) + X shortcut. This algorithm will try to make "about" straight corners really strait to avoid ugly look in Waze client.Simplify landmark
Remove excessive points in landmark geometry. Can be tuned by changing "Simplificate landmark" parameter in Magic Wand options tab.Options for Rotation and Resize
- Open the MagicWand tab in the left menu;
- Check or uncheck boxes to enable or disable Rotate and Resize functionality;
- Select landmark;
- ROTATE: drag the additional landmark's vertice to rotate it;
- RESIZE: drag the additional landmark's vertice to resize. Please note that when RESIZE option is enabled you cannot modify individual vertices.Right angles helper
- Hold SHIFT while editing a feature to display a helper circle that will help you to draw right angles.Magic Wand tool
- Open the MagicWand tab in the left menu;
- Choose the type of the supposed landmark (can be changed later);
- Toggle MAGIC WAND button: red means ACTIVE state;
- Click somewhere in the area you'd like to be converted to landmark based on the color (best work with farmland, water, building and forests);
- Wait a bit (the actual time depend on your computer) for landmark to be created;
- Edit the created landmark to fine tune the area.Note
Error "Cannot create landmark, need at least 3 points to create polygon" means that the script was unable to find enough pixels of the similar colour where you clicked to build a concave hull. Please, try some other point nearby. Also, it happens that the server stops responding for tiles request for some reason, so try to refresh the page. What does all that options mean?
Color match algorithm - WME MagicWand can use two different algorithms to detect similar pixels on the tiles: based on color "distance" and based on "human-eye similarity". Choose the best suitable option for you but please keep in mind that when changing algorithm you will need to play with Tolerance option too as both algorithms uses it differently.
Tolerance option basically changes sensitivity of the algorithm, what pixels would be supposed to have "similar" color. Large values will select all pixels -- that is not what you want
Landmark simplification - as map tiles contains tons of pixels of different color finding appropriate polygon to contain all of "similar" pixels is a difficult computational problem. Current implementation uses one of convex hull algorithms to do it. The problem is that it creates many points on the curves and corners and thus you can use simplification parameter to remove unnecessary points automatically.Notes
* Please wait when map tiles will be fully loaded after moving or zooming to make plugin work properly.
* As far as I understand we can make the script more accurate if it will compare not individual pixels but certain groups, say 5x5 or 10x10. Need an advice about it though.
I'm really open for any suggestions and comments Installation
- Download script using Install button in the right top corner;
- Open Options -> Tools -> Extensions page;
- Drag & Drop downloaded file to Extensions page.Version history
- NEW: New option to draw a helper circle to draw right angels while holding SHIFT key.
- NEW: Highly experimental support of Magic Wand on custom layers via Map Overlays browser extension (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... babdkfbbia
- FIX: Fixed Rotate and Resize options
- NEW: Finally, I've managed to implement a correct concave hull algorithm, which means that now complex landmarks will be correctly covered! Thanks, AndriiHeonia, for the lib!
- FIX: Plugin was broken after the Editor updates
- NEW: Highlight mode: set a Enable Highlight checkbox ON to highlight landmarks to be Orthogonalized.
- Compatibility with newer Editor version
- Minor fixes (thanks skirda!)
- NEW (requested by Griev0us): Landmark simplification using OpenLayers build-in simplify method for polygons. You can tune the algorithm by setting "Simplify landmark" parameter on MagicWand settings tab.
- NEW: Auto-select created landmark after clone operation
- FIX: compatibility issues with new Editor version fixed
- NEW (Requested by AlanOfTheBerg): Resize and Rotate checkboxes moved to "Selected Landmark" tab
- NEW: Introduced "Angle threshold" option to allow user to make Orthogonalize method more or less aggressive
- FIX (Reported by davielde): "undefined" options in Landmark removed
- CHANGE (Requested by sketch): "CLICK TO START MAGIC WAND" changed to "CLICK TO STOP MAGIC WAND" while it was active
- NEW: Options will be saved between session
- NEW: Hotkeys: Press Ctrl (Cmd) + C to Clone or Ctrl (Cmd) + X to Orthogonalize selected landmark
- NEW: Orthogonalize functionality for landmarks: now you can easily make a perfect straight angles on your landmarks
- Updated to support Venues and Places update
- NEW: Advanced Editing options for landmarks rotation and resize
- NEW: added sampling box setting
- CHANGED: a bit better UI
- FIX: Stability fixes
- FIX: Firefox performance hugely improved
- Stability fixes
- Initial release
Last edited by wasd42
on Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:20 pm, edited 8 times in total.