Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Forum rules
Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

DO NOT START a new thread unless it is about a new idea. Keep discussion of existing tools within the main thread for that tool.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

[Script] WME Geometries - v1.7 (June 2021)

Post by
Prompted by this request for city boundaries, and inspired by now defunct WME GPS Track View...

WME Geometries can load a geometry file and overlay it directly in the Waze Map Editor. Simply go to the Areas tab on the left, and scroll down to the new controls that have been added.
The data format is detected automatically using the file extension, and the following formats are supported: GeoJSON, GML, WKT, KML, and GPX; and coordinate systems ESPG 3857, 4269 and 4326. If you have a (free to use) ArcGIS or ESRI Shapefile, then this can be converted into one of these text formats.

If you're having trouble with your geometry data, then please get in touch with me and I'll see if I can help.

It is possible to load very large geometry files, of order 10 Mb, and the editor still performs moderately well. Files that closer to 100 Mb will probably make the editor struggle when panning/zooming. This can be mitigated by 'simplifying' the original geometry before converting it to a supported format.

Labels will be shown for files with less than 50 features, if an appropriately named attribute can be found: name, Name, NAME or NAME0. Displaying labels for larger numbers of features really kills performance due to how OpenLayers handles them.

Development background: the functionality to parse geometries files is built in to OpenLayers, and so it does the majority of the processing. The ability to handle KML and GPX was tricky, as Waze seem to be using a crippled version of the library that was missing those two. I eventually figured out how to patch the missing functions in.

Possible future work:
  • Dedicated parsing for Waze GPS files
  • Finer control of options and layers

POSTER_ID:1445148

Send a message

Post by Inactive user -1697532064-
This looks awesome, but I can't get it to work on Firefox 45. If I am reading things correctly, it should put new controls in the areas tab. Is that right?
Inactive user -1697532064-
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
-John 8:32

DauserShenkt wrote:
nidnarb wrote:Thanks to this awesome script i was able to map all the national forest and national parks in my state. And I've even imported county roads to the map. I haven't been able to figure out is to import GiS address from parcels.

Only one thing, it possible to make the script remember the last imports so when you refresh you dont have to go and grab the file again??

thanks again!
3rd party sources (ie - where you would extract the GIS) are not to be used. Open Data/CC arguments have no relevance as Waze still has not given permission for 3rd party sources.
I'm no expert here, but in the United States, works by the federal government, such as maps of national parks created by the US Census Bureau (I am assuming nidnarb imported TIGER data), are in the public domain and are not subject to copyright in the USA. This is different from Creative Commons licensing, in which the owner retains copyright and allows free usage, and it's fairly unique. After all, our basemap comes from Census data.
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio

DauserShenkt wrote:Regardless of copyright status, source, Creative Commons , Open Data...what ever it is.. You can not use 3rd party sources for data.
That's not what your wiki quote says. Your quote only refers to external information under copyright.
Usage of any external copyrighted source of information, in order to add information to the Waze database or maps, is not allowed.
As I said, US Forest Service or Census maps are not under copyright in the United States. That's why we have used this information for years. This is from https://www.usa.gov/government-works
A government work is generally not subject to copyright in the United States and there is generally no copyright restriction on reproduction, derivative works, distribution, performance, or display of a government work.
CC and open data sources are under copyright, and I agree that they cannot be used, but that's not what we're talking about.
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio

I appreciate the concern, and I enjoyed reading the discussion on sources that you were involved in on the Australia forum viewtopic.php?f=56&t=195213. However, copyright is the central issue in this discussion, and the links that glomp provided only talk about the use of copyrighted information, even in statements from Waze staff. I know that most governments, such as Australia, other countries and some US states, copyright their work. The US federal government really is unique in not doing this in the USA. In my job I read hundreds of journal articles daily, and the only time copyright is explicitly given up in articles is when they are the work of US government agents.
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio

Post by AndyLaode
n4dog wrote:Script is no longer working as of this morning
experience the same thing when i want to see boundaries
AndyLaode
Send a message
andylaode (andylaode@outlook.com)
okay, mate, see you on the road and on the map too, cheers

Post by arthurfsv
deanonzl wrote:Hi Tim,
Not loading here, error in console is "WME Geometries: OpenLayers version mismatch"
Also not loading here too :(
arthurfsv
Emeritus Local Champ
Emeritus Local Champ
Send a message
Arthur Fernando
AM - Belo Horizonte (Região oeste, centro e centro-sul)

É iniciante nas edições? Confira estes links básicos: manual, guia e práticas.

Quer melhorar a organização dos Places? Veja esta proposta

Post by boonie-oet-gelaen
Waaw, thanks for that quick fix! I can load GPX again. Much appreciated.
boonie-oet-gelaen
Send a message

Post by cnor_il
Hi
How can I imoprt or load My gpx file to the editor?

Why don't I see such an option?
cnor_il
Send a message
Attachments
קנור - מתנדב בקהילת עורכי המפה
Cnor - A volunteer in the Israeli community of Waze map editors
https://s.waze.tools/c5s.pngהודעה ראשונה בפורום הנחיות להוספת מקום כללים לפתיחת בקשות עדכון בפורום עדכון מפה

Post by cnor_il
Thanks
I will try to reinstall
cnor_il
Send a message
קנור - מתנדב בקהילת עורכי המפה
Cnor - A volunteer in the Israeli community of Waze map editors
https://s.waze.tools/c5s.pngהודעה ראשונה בפורום הנחיות להוספת מקום כללים לפתיחת בקשות עדכון בפורום עדכון מפה