[Script] WME Toolbox (1.8.18)

Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein, Glodenox, JustinS83

Forum rules
Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

DO NOT START a new thread unless it is about a new idea. Keep discussion of existing tools within the main thread for that tool.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Re: [Script] WME Toolbox (1.8.15)

Postby sketch » Wed May 22, 2019 2:58 pm

Wow!

[ img ]

Of course, by this post, I've ruined it. Sorry!
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • tier one • new orleans
2017 chevrolet ss sedan 6mt • slipstream blue metallic
[ img ] [ img ]
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Nyl3s » Wed May 22, 2019 8:29 pm

Anyone also having waze ads appearing in their minimap? And is there anything known I can do about it?
[ img ] [ img ]
Nyl3s
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby JustinS83 » Wed May 22, 2019 8:34 pm

Nyl3s wrote:Anyone also having waze ads appearing in their minimap? And is there anything known I can do about it?
[ img ] [ img ]

Yes, but it'll cost you $1.99/month to remove the ads :lol:
Script Writing Community Coordinator
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
JustinS83
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby IMDashti » Wed May 22, 2019 10:44 pm

turbomkt wrote:Here's why Waze can get confused - regardless of whether turn restrictions are set or they are one way segments, Waze can choose either segment to route across if it's a two segment loop. I have seen this first hand and will never leave a two segment loop - Waze routed the wrong way on a one way segment.

What do you mean by "regardless"? How can Waze take a segment where a turn arrow is disabled?!!

You say "Waze can choose either segment", but how?!! If turn is enabled for one direction to only one segment, how can Waze route through another segment?!!

jm6087 wrote:In addition to my previous point, we have to remember that Waze goes from node to node, not segments. Using your example:

You have the WB segment (ID 365705604) with Node A 287525221 and Node B 287452950
You have the EB segment (ID 365705605) with Node A 287452950 and Node B 287525221

Since Waze goes node to node, If I have heading WB and I reach Node 287525221 and the app is trying to get me to Node 287452950, how does it know which segment to take? It is my understanding that it is not actually looking at which direction a one-way segment is going, it only knows that you can go from Node 287525221 to Node 287452950. It is possible that it will take you down the wrong one-way segment to complete your trip.
In reality, by having the 2 segment loop with one-way segments, you are creating 2 two-way segments by mistake.

I was okay with you until you asked "how does it know which segment to take?" After that, your answer seems very confusing in regard to the situation presented. If it got to Node 287525221, there's only one way to get to Node 287452950, how can Waze get confused?! How is it possible that it will take me to the wrong one-way segment if there's only one-way to go?!! In other words, I see one option for Waze to route me from Node 287525221 to Node 287452950, which is through the WB one-segment. What is the other routing option for Waze that will make it confused?!

And when you say "you are creating 2 two-way segments by mistake", I don't get it!! Excuse me for not understanding, but please explain how is that?!!

vince1612 wrote:I'm more than familiar with it, thus why I gave you my first response. It also says that "every loop must be made up of three or more segments" and to "correct two-segment loops".

Despite me quoting the guidance about loops, but I did that because the guidance is talking about 2-segment loops created using two-way segments. In this case, I understand why Waze would be confused. But the situation we are talking about is different. It is not a 2-two-way-segment loop. It is a 2-one-way-segment loop with turn arrows disabled for turning back at both ends. This should not cause a confusion to Waze. Just taking one case of loops and generalizing it (as Toolbox does) is not accurate.

I hope to get specifics about how can Waze get confused in the particular situation I presented. An don't say "because it is a 2-segment loop" because when segment direction and turn arrows are put in consideration, there's no loop. Show me the loop!!
IMDashti
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby iainhouse » Wed May 22, 2019 11:00 pm

Waze can get confused because the client does not know if the segments are one way, or if the turns are disabled.

The route given by the routing server to the client is a list of nodes. If part of that route includes 2 consecutive nodes that have more than one segment connecting them, there is no way to be sure (from our point of view) which segment will be chosen. Turn arrows are irrelevant - the client doesn't do the routing (as long as the network connection is up), the routing server does. The client does what it's told and doesn't double-check to see if the route it is given is valid. After all, by definition, the server will be more up-to-date than cached client map data.

This can lead to the client directing the user along the "wrong" segment. It can even lead to the audible instructions saying to take one route, whilst the display on-screen shows the other route. This has been reported by users.

It can also, if the client makes a report, lead to a UR in which the route follows one course whilst the instructions displayed for the route are for the other course.

It's really not worth a lot of argument. ;) 2-segment loops have demonstrably caused problems in the past. Toolbox highlights them for that reason. Adding an extra node certainly does no harm whatsoever. If you really don't want to add an extra node, then don't. Sooner or later, someone else using Toolbox will come along and do so.
[ img ][ img ][ img ]
UK AdminsUK WikiWaze FAQWMEFU Script :ugeek:
I want to go to a commune in Vermont and deal with no unit of time shorter than a season
iainhouse
Country Manager
Country Manager

Location: on the road from London to insanity, with Waze HQ in the driving seat

Postby jm6087 » Wed May 22, 2019 11:20 pm

IMDashti wrote:
jm6087 wrote:In addition to my previous point, we have to remember that Waze goes from node to node, not segments. Using your example:

You have the WB segment (ID 365705604) with Node A 287525221 and Node B 287452950
You have the EB segment (ID 365705605) with Node A 287452950 and Node B 287525221

Since Waze goes node to node, If I have heading WB and I reach Node 287525221 and the app is trying to get me to Node 287452950, how does it know which segment to take? It is my understanding that it is not actually looking at which direction a one-way segment is going, it only knows that you can go from Node 287525221 to Node 287452950. It is possible that it will take you down the wrong one-way segment to complete your trip.
In reality, by having the 2 segment loop with one-way segments, you are creating 2 two-way segments by mistake.

I was okay with you until you asked "how does it know which segment to take?" After that, your answer seems very confusing in regard to the situation presented. If it got to Node 287525221, there's only one way to get to Node 287452950, how can Waze get confused?! How is it possible that it will take me to the wrong one-way segment if there's only one-way to go?!! In other words, I see one option for Waze to route me from Node 287525221 to Node 287452950, which is through the WB one-segment. What is the other routing option for Waze that will make it confused?!

And when you say "you are creating 2 two-way segments by mistake", I don't get it!! Excuse me for not understanding, but please explain how is that?!!

For my attempted explanation:

As I stated, it is my understanding that Waze is not actually looking at the fact that the segment is set as one-way, it is only looking at the junction nodes. A two-way segment will allow you to travel from Node 1 to Node 2 or from Node 2 to Node 1. A one-way segment is technically only programmed that you can go from Node 1 to Node 2 and not Node 2 to Node 1.
So again, your one-way WB is only able to travel from Node 1 to Node 2. Your one-way EB is only able to travel from Node 2 to Node 1. Waze is using the Node ID's to determine direction of travel and not the Segment direction.
If you are traveling WB you must start at Node 1 and go to Node 2. If you remove from your thinking about the one-way mapping and just think about the junction nodes, which segment will you be given to go from Node 1 to Node 2. There are 2 possible ways to get from Node 1 to Node 2.

The biggest thing is to remember that converting a segment to one-way is a visual thing for editing not a routing thing. In the background, the app is saying you can only travel from Node 1 to Node 2 and not from Node 2 to Node 1. If 2 different segment contain both of the same Node IDs, the app won't know which segment to take and will have to guess.
jm6087
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby vince1612 » Thu May 23, 2019 6:19 am

IMDashti wrote:If turn is enabled for one direction to only one segment, how can Waze route through another segment?!!
when segment direction and turn arrows are put in consideration, there's no loop. Show me the loop!!

You must have missed it, but I already said this in my first reply:
vince1612 wrote:That is a 2-segments loop, loops should never be less than 3 segments (minimum). Red/green arrows or the segments' directions don't matter. The editor who contacted you is right.

Now you've seen others confirm it above and give more details. Several of us have also witnessed the routing problems it can cause, even when it's setup like you've done it. So if you prefer to think that we're all delusional or imply that we are collectively lying to you, you're free to do what you want and ignore what everyone is telling you.
[ img ]
Wiki & Forum: Wiki CH (D) (FR) | Forum CH (D) (FR) (I)
1+1=3 - The result of bringing talents together goes beyond simply adding them up.
vince1612
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby IMDashti » Thu May 23, 2019 7:12 am

iainhouse wrote:Waze can get confused because the client does not know if the segments are one way, or if the turns are disabled.

The route given by the routing server to the client is a list of nodes. If part of that route includes 2 consecutive nodes that have more than one segment connecting them, there is no way to be sure (from our point of view) which segment will be chosen. Turn arrows are irrelevant - the client doesn't do the routing (as long as the network connection is up), the routing server does. The client does what it's told and doesn't double-check to see if the route it is given is valid. After all, by definition, the server will be more up-to-date than cached client map data.

This can lead to the client directing the user along the "wrong" segment. It can even lead to the audible instructions saying to take one route, whilst the display on-screen shows the other route. This has been reported by users.

It can also, if the client makes a report, lead to a UR in which the route follows one course whilst the instructions displayed for the route are for the other course.

It's really not worth a lot of argument. ;) 2-segment loops have demonstrably caused problems in the past. Toolbox highlights them for that reason. Adding an extra node certainly does no harm whatsoever. If you really don't want to add an extra node, then don't. Sooner or later, someone else using Toolbox will come along and do so.

Now I see the problem!! It is a matter of how the routing server communicating the route to the app. It communicates only a series of nodes regardless of the nature of segments linking these nodes. In other words, the app is blind about some details of segments it is displaying. It just finds any segment going to the next node.

I think this should be formulated in a clearer way in the guidance about loops.

However, I wonder if developers can suggest a better way to communicate the route information to the app to avoid such problem. Yes, it might add few extra data to the route information received, but it will solve this editing problem forever.
IMDashti
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby BellHouse » Fri May 24, 2019 2:33 pm

ditchi56 wrote:Toolbox not appearing at all on current WME Beta :(

Not too worried about the Beta itself, but presumably whatever new Beta feature is messing it up may appear in main WME.

Confirmed. Will be fixed in the next release (for both beta and prod WME).

The drawback is that we will have to drop Toolbox' option to show point places at zoom level 3+, because the object allowing to configure this was removed from WME (beta).
[ img ][ img ][ img ]
Global Champ / DACH Champ / CM Germany
BellHouse
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby moosool » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:18 am

In the situation below when clicking 'auto fix reverse connections', Toolbox changes the road type of the roundabout to parking lot road. :o

[ img ][ img ]
moosool
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Addons, Extensions, and Scripts