[Script] WME Toolbox (1.8.17)

Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein, JustinS83, Glodenox

Forum rules
Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

DO NOT START a new thread unless it is about a new idea. Keep discussion of existing tools within the main thread for that tool.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Re: [Script] WME Toolbox (1.8.16)

Postby linguasaltitante » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:46 pm

Good afternoon.

Don’t know if someone already suggested this … but why not, when we click on “Suppress unneeded junctions” button, the script also run the “Suppress unneeded geometry” code on same segments!?

It’s very frequent, once a junction deleted, the need to rectify the geometry.

It would be a kind of “two in one” thing :)

Kind regards
linguasaltitante

Postby james890526 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:47 pm

It may be good, but not all merged junctions require a geometry cleanup. Makes sense?
Best regards,
Zhong Zhen (james890526)

[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]

Waze Malaysia [ img ] [ img ]
james890526
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby Kartografer » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:25 pm

If the suppression of unnecessary geometry points is enabled in your country, you could run it immediately after the broom. I have never used it, since it is restricted in the USA due to a history of abuse and little benefit otherwise.
[ img ]
Galaxy S9 running Pie on Mint
SM Ohio, AM New Mexico, South Dakota
Wazeopedia projects
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
-John 8:32
Kartografer
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby linguasaltitante » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:33 pm

Good afternoon.

james890526 wrote:It may be good, but not all merged junctions require a geometry cleanup. Makes sense?

It's a fact that not always a geometry cleanup is necessary, but run both of the functions in simultaneous would not be a problem: if there is no geometry to clean the script will do nothing ... and the contrary is also true (and helpful ;) , reason why I made such suggestion)

Kartografer wrote:If the suppression of unnecessary geometry points is enabled in your country, you could run it immediately after the broom. I have never used it, since it is restricted in the USA due to a history of abuse and little benefit otherwise.

I'm a Portuguese editor, and it's true that we can suppress unnecessary points in Portugal ... and what I make is exactly that: I click on both buttons ... but why not just one click (in this case in the broom button) and make both actions at once? Again, at least for me, most of the time suppressing unnecessary points implies a geometry cleanup.

Just an idea ... but not a very important one ... I know :) ;) .

Kind regards
linguasaltitante

Postby JustinS83 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:42 pm

linguasaltitante wrote:Good afternoon.

james890526 wrote:It may be good, but not all merged junctions require a geometry cleanup. Makes sense?

It's a fact that not always a geometry cleanup is necessary, but run both of the functions in simultaneous would not be a problem: if there is no geometry to clean the script will do nothing ... and the contrary is also true (and helpful ;) , reason why I made such suggestion)

Kartografer wrote:If the suppression of unnecessary geometry points is enabled in your country, you could run it immediately after the broom. I have never used it, since it is restricted in the USA due to a history of abuse and little benefit otherwise.

I'm a Portuguese editor, and it's true that we can suppress unnecessary points in Portugal ... and what I make is exactly that: I click on both buttons ... but why not just one click (in this case in the broom button) and make both actions at once? Again, at least for me, most of the time suppressing unnecessary points implies a geometry cleanup.

Just an idea ... but not a very important one ... I know :) ;) .

Kind regards

They should not automatically be run in conjunction with each other because the segment simplifying would affect more than just the geometry handle created by the removed junction node - it simplifies the entire segment which may or may not be wanted.
Script Writing Community Coordinator
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
JustinS83
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby iainhouse » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:52 pm

Then the answer is to only simplify geometry automatically if the segment was not simplifiable before removing a junction and is simplifiable after. That way, no other geometry would be affected.

I agree that it's a very minor benefit - just a click-saver - but it would be nice if it could be done automatically.
[ img ][ img ][ img ]
UK AdminsUK WikiWaze FAQWMEFU Script :ugeek:
I want to go to a commune in Vermont and deal with no unit of time shorter than a season
iainhouse
Country Manager
Country Manager

Location: on the road from London to insanity, with Waze HQ in the driving seat

Postby linguasaltitante » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:21 pm

iainhouse wrote:Then the answer is to only simplify geometry automatically if the segment was not simplifiable before removing a junction and is simplifiable after. That way, no other geometry would be affected.

I agree that it's a very minor benefit - just a click-saver - but it would be nice if it could be done automatically.

Sorry my bad English :( ... that probably affected how I transmitted the idea :? ... but you got it. It's exactly that ;)
linguasaltitante

Postby JustinS83 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:15 pm

iainhouse wrote:Then the answer is to only simplify geometry automatically if the segment was not simplifiable before removing a junction and is simplifiable after. That way, no other geometry would be affected.

Or just remove the geometry handle at the location of the junction node. That's certainly possible.
JustinS83
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sketch » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:23 pm

JustinS83 wrote:

Or just remove the geometry handle at the location of the junction node. That's certainly possible.

...only if it would be simplifiable after. Either you're saying essentially the same thing as Iain or you're recommending that former-node geometry handles be removed no matter what even if they're like 100° intersections! To work properly, it needs to be analyzed post-merge one way or the other.
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • tier one • new orleans
2017 chevrolet ss sedan 6mt • slipstream blue metallic
[ img ] [ img ]
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby JustinS83 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:32 pm

sketch wrote:
JustinS83 wrote:

...only if it would be simplifiable after. Either you're saying essentially the same thing as Iain or you're recommending that former-node geometry handles be removed no matter what even if they're like 100° intersections! To work properly, it needs to be analyzed post-merge one way or the other.

Not suggesting exactly the same thing - I am not suggesting simplifying the entire segment, I am saying remove the new geometry handle created by deleting the junction node ~only~. You could test if the segment is simplifiable before removing this node if you so desired, but I don't see much value - I don't know anyone that routinely creates a geometry handle by attaching/deleting a fake segment in order to get the geometry handle instead of just grabbing it from the middle of the segment and adjusting to the correct location. I've done it maybe 3 times on obnoxiously long segments where I didn't want to pan to find the middle, but even then I was just being lazy and not zooming out.
JustinS83
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Addons, Extensions, and Scripts