Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Forum rules
Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

DO NOT START a new thread unless it is about a new idea. Keep discussion of existing tools within the main thread for that tool.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

[Wiki] Changes on the Scripts wiki page

Post by deeploz
Hello Developer's community !

I want to inform you that, as a part of the Wazeopedia project, we are about to modify slightly the Wiki structure about the Scripts/Extensions/Pluggins.

Therefore:

1/ The current page title (Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools) will be renamed "Scripts" to provide a shorter name and an easier way to manage the following changes

2/ This "Scripts" page will be organized as a hub page, divided in several sections (as today : Map Editor presentation enhancements, Map Editing, Map validation and routing,...) listing all existing Scripts (or extensions or plugins) with a very short description, in order to provide the users with an overview of all items.

3/ Then, we'll create a subpage for each script detailing the existing info for each of them. These subpage will have a common layout (<-- this is a first draft. feel free to propose improvement), very simple, to help people to find quickly the right info, at a glance. So it will look like the following structure:

Scripts
|
|---Scripts/WME Color Highlighs (WMECH)
|
|---Scripts/WME Highlighter City
|
|---Scripts/UR Overview Plus (URO+)
|
|

4/ Despite the fact that this Scripts page will be part of the Global Pages (thus supposed to be managed through the Global Pages Change Control Process), each author (or group of authors) will be entitled to modify the subpage of his own script without going through this approval process.

The structure change will be handled within about 48 hours and any previously existing link will be updated accordingly (with the relevant redirections to avoid external links to point into the void).

If you have any remarks, feel free to post here.
deeploz
Emeritus Local Champ
Emeritus Local Champ

POSTER_ID:1822038

Send a message

Post by bummerdude69
PesachZ wrote:I finally have a working draft in my user space.
Would we want download links that might change, rather than pointing to the forum post for the link? I'm split on this, so more for discussion then a complaint/ suggestion.
bummerdude69
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by deeploz
Not yet, but quite soon. PesachZ takes this revamping opportunity to develop some technical templates, which delay a bit the release I had in mind initially. But this is on tracks. You'll be kept notived.
deeploz
Emeritus Local Champ
Emeritus Local Champ
Send a message

Post by deeploz
Your link above is pointing to this thread :D
I guess you wanted to link to your actual user page.
deeploz
Emeritus Local Champ
Emeritus Local Champ
Send a message

Post by deeploz
Hello seb-d59

Of course you can. That's precisely the main purpose of this wiki page.
But before appending them in the relevant section (according to the type of features improved by them) you shall propose this addition to the Wiki Masters for review and approval (to be sure your scripts are stable, and improve effectively the map editing activities, without violating any rules stated by the Staff)

You"ll have to first write a script description and features list in your own userspace (e.g. "User:Seb-d59/Search in PM") for each script, then you are welcome to post a request on the Wiki Updates and Discussions forum. Just create a topic named "[Update] Scripts" and write your request by proposing the addition of your 2 scripts, mentioning the section in which you may want to append them, and providing a link to the two wiki pages you would have created to describe them.
deeploz
Emeritus Local Champ
Emeritus Local Champ
Send a message

Post by deeploz
I do not have the time to go deeper in the troubleshooting but it may look like a cache issue

Because, when I edit the "Map Editing" section of this Script page (https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/index.php?ti ... &section=3) and, without changing anything in the wikicode, when I just hit the "Show Preview" button at the bottom, I get a preview which is displaying correctly your Magic Wand description.

I'll back in a couple of hours and, if not solved, will go further
deeploz
Emeritus Local Champ
Emeritus Local Champ
Send a message

Post by GizmoGuy411
This is an excellent change. Much enhanced appearance, and helps with the overview as well.

(Yes, this was a very short escape from my temporary Waze hiatus. Please do not expect it often.)
GizmoGuy411
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

U.S. based Global Champ Emeritus
U.S. Local Champ
U.S. Country Manager
U.S. Great Lakes ARC: IL, IN, MI, OH, WI
(and past GLR RC)
AM: NW OH, NE IN, SE MI
Wiki Profile
Verizon: Google Pixel XL3 & iPad "3"

Post by kentsmith9
This page looks great. Nice work. I really like the condensed feeling and flow of the scripts page with the new expand/collapse templates.

After looking at the new layout I had the following thoughts:

1. The first section on Browser requirements takes the form of the individual scripts because it uses the same expand template format. Personally I think it would look less confusing to either not collapse that section (my recommendation), or use a different format for the collapsed box.

2. The Browser requirements section heading is the first section on the page, but it is included in the expand box, where all the other first level section headings are outside the expand box. IMO it looks inconsistent. I would suggest considering following the recommendation in point 1 above, or remove the first level header from the box and put a second level header inside.

3. The info box on adding a new script has a very limited audience and would only apply to someone in edit more trying to add a script. Currently there is comment text at the top of the page describing what to do, so this info box seems unnecessary and confusing to the general audience.

4. The collapsed boxes feel a little too compressed and run together. Have we considered putting a white space break between the boxes to give a single line gap between each box?

5. When the individual scripts use section headers they display in the TOC and create some level of confusion for users who click those lower levels and end up in a collapsed section that does not match. I don't think we need the TOC to display the section headers in the individual tools, so I propose we use {{TOC limit|3}}.

6. Each section header is inconsistent with respect to use of initial caps and sentence caps. I propose we use all initial caps for consistency.

7. I see there is a template in each box indicating the content is transcluded from a nugget source. I recognize it provides a quick link for editors to pass to other editors the link to the subpage. The current description does not say that. Can we consider changing the text for this use to be something like "Quicklink to section subpage" or similar to be more clear why we have the link? I am not proposing changing the text for the default nugget link itself, although we may want to review that separately.

I understand what that means to a wiki editor, but why are we displaying that to the user? Is this part of some larger project to use that indicator on all pages with nuggets?
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
Thanks for the great responses.
PesachZ wrote:
kentsmith9 wrote:This page looks great. Nice work. I really like the condensed feeling and flow of the scripts page with the new expand/collapse templates.

After looking at the new layout I had the following thoughts:

1. The first section on Browser requirements takes the form of the individual scripts because it uses the same expand template format. Personally I think it would look less confusing to either not collapse that section (my recommendation), or use a different format for the collapsed box.
I made the outline orange, indicating this is more of setup instructions.
Good compromise.
PesachZ wrote:
kentsmith9 wrote:2. The Browser requirements section heading is the first section on the page, but it is included in the expand box, where all the other first level section headings are outside the expand box. IMO it looks inconsistent. I would suggest considering following the recommendation in point 1 above, or remove the first level header from the box and put a second level header inside.
I moved the top level header above the box, and created a new level header inside, then adjested the rest to H4.
Perfect.
PesachZ wrote:
kentsmith9 wrote:3. The info box on adding a new script has a very limited audience and would only apply to someone in edit more trying to add a script. Currently there is comment text at the top of the page describing what to do, so this info box seems unnecessary and confusing to the general audience.
The decision was made at the ehest of the wiki masters and moderators group after discussion to include this information here. The box is geared at scrip authors, who are not necessarily proficient wiki editors, and may not know where to find this info in the wiki-text.
This entire page is handled slightly differently from the rest of the wiki in deference to the script authors. As I'll explain below on some of your other points, there are several items on this page which are only the way they are to make it easier on the script authors, or to honor their wishes.
I am fine if the consensus was to include it here. What about where it is in the flow? The majority of readers don't need to see it. Would it make sense to create a section at the end down by "Developing scripts" called "Adding a script to this page" and putting it in a collapse box? It seems strange looking like it is part of the "Browser requirements" section. If the idea was to have it at the top, then how about the same proposed heading and a collapsed box?
PesachZ wrote:
kentsmith9 wrote:4. The collapsed boxes feel a little too compressed and run together. Have we considered putting a white space break between the boxes to give a single line gap between each box?
Here is a test with a white space between each script in the first section. Do you think it looks better?, I liked the existing design, it kind of reminds me of flipping through a hanging file drawer, then opening the one I need when I see the right tab.
I really like having the separation in your example, but I'd be fine with a smaller gap. What about incorporating a smaller white space gap at the end of the template? Then you just need to have editors remove all gaps from the basepage code to get consistent formatting?
PesachZ wrote:
kentsmith9 wrote:5. When the individual scripts use section headers they display in the TOC and create some level of confusion for users who click those lower levels and end up in a collapsed section that does not match. I don't think we need the TOC to display the section headers in the individual tools, so I propose we use {{TOC limit|3}}.
I'm not sure I follow here, where is the confusion. If they click a subsection, and are taken to header of that section instead if to that spot in the section?
I'm not sure how confusing that would be to a user. But I dont mind restricting the TOC. Basically the only scripts this will effect are Toolbox, and URComments (with the coming update).
I personally think the TOC on this page should only drill down to the script titles. Helps further simplify a somewhat complex page that you have already greatly improved. Yes I believe the confusion is you don't get to where the TOC said. Therefore I think it would be better to hide the level you cannot immediately see.
PesachZ wrote:
kentsmith9 wrote:6. Each section header is inconsistent with respect to use of initial caps and sentence caps. I propose we use all initial caps for consistency.
This is one of those items left alone in deference to the script authors. They wrote the script, they own it, and should be able to dictate its name. Many of the authors feel how it is displayed affects how people will refer to it in communication, and want to control the 'brand recognition' so-to-speak. As this is their work, we allow them to choose the title. Take a script like URComments for example, using the first letter rule would make it be named Urcomments, which isn't what the author wants.
Understood and accepted.
PesachZ wrote:
kentsmith9 wrote:7. I see there is a template in each box indicating the content is transcluded from a nugget source. I recognize it provides a quick link for editors to pass to other editors the link to the subpage. The current description does not say that. Can we consider changing the text for this use to be something like "Quicklink to section subpage" or similar to be more clear why we have the link? I am not proposing changing the text for the default nugget link itself, although we may want to review that separately.

I understand what that means to a wiki editor, but why are we displaying that to the user? Is this part of some larger project to use that indicator on all pages with nuggets?
This link again only appears for nuggets used for scripts, not when the template is used on other pages. It was put here again to simplify things for script authors who are novice wiki writers. The mouseover on the link icon does say "link to nugget subpage". I'm trying to keep it subtle and not too obtrusive. Can you suggest where else you'd like to see this text?

The template describing the nugget is designed to give another clue to script authors, but the link to the subpage will not be displayed on other pages, except for these script pages.
I like that this look and feel is only on this script page for the benefit of the script authors on this page. Can we also ensure the script users who likely know even less about Wiki operation don't get further confused? I don't think I saw in your answer the reason we cannot change that current message to "Quicklink to section subpage." Maybe that is what you meant by "not being too obtrusive." In this case as a user or script author, I have no idea why I see a message that "this content is transcluded from a nugget source."

Also can we put it in a right-aligned box and wrap the text around it so it is more likely to be skipped if you don't know why its there? Or do we think the script authors won't understand that?

I appreciate that we are trying to make it easier for the script authors and I think you have done an awesome job with the script template. Maybe we need one more section that is a pictorial of an example section and how to use it?

New Thought
After clicking the TOC entry for a section, the screen is located with the heading at the top of the page and the [Collapse] entry is half covered by the top of the screen. I presume it is because the template has the collapse code before the header, but maybe there is a way to put the collapse text in a box and push it down a half line so it is closer in line with the header. That way it is not half covered by the top of the screen. If you want I can play around with some code to see if I can build a solution and present it to you.

Again, great work on this page and all these templates.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
Here is my test page and section with the shifted link.

https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/User:Kentsmi ... Highlights

Changes made to {{Expand}} (I copied to ExpandTest)

https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/index.php?ti ... did=121297

I'll look at the Expand positioning over the next few days.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message