[Script] WME Tab Manager (v1.4.0)

Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein, JustinS83, Glodenox

Forum rules
Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

DO NOT START a new thread unless it is about a new idea. Keep discussion of existing tools within the main thread for that tool.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

[Script] WME Tab Manager (v1.4.0)

Postby Glodenox » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:50 am

[ img ]

This userscript augments the Waze Map Editor by providing additional settings concerning the tabs. For example, this script preserves the order of the tabs and reopens the tab you had open the last time you used the WME.

Current features

• Reopen the tab you had open the last time you used the WME
  • Replace the tab title with an icon of your choosing
  • Hide tabs that you don't need
  • Recolour the text and background of tabs
  • Adjust the width and height of the tabs
  • Preserve the order of the tabs over sessions
  • Reorder the tabs in any way you like
Installation instructions

> TL;DR: install as most other WME userscripts from its Greasy Fork page

Userscripts are snippets of code that are executed after the loading of certain webpages. This script does this after the loading of the Waze Map Editor. In order to run userscripts in your browser, you are adviced to use Firefox or Google Chrome.

You will need to install an add-on that manages userscripts for this to work. There's TamperMonkey for Firefox and Chrome.

These add-ons will be visible in the browser with an additional button that is visible to the right of the address bar. Through this button it will be possible to maintain any userscripts you install.

For WME Tab Manager, you should be able to install the script at Greasy Fork. There will be a big green install button which you will have to press to install the script.
When installing userscripts always pay attention to the site(s) on which the script runs. This script only runs on Waze.com, so other sites will not be affected in any way.

After installing a userscript, you will be able to find it working on the site(s) specified. Do note that if you had the page open before installing the userscript, you will first need to refresh the page.

TamperMonkey will occasionally check for new versions of these scripts. You will get a notification when a new version has been found and installed.

How to use

[ img ]

The script adds additional options to the preferences tab. These options allow you to enable or disable the script's features:

• 'Tab width & Tab height': adjust the width and height of all tabs so they take up less/more space than before.
  • 'Preserve opened tab over sessions': have the script reopen the tab you had selected during the last time you used the WME.
  • 'Preserve tab order over sessions': have the script rearrange the tabs to preserve the previous order when loading the WME. New tabs are added to the back. When selecting this option, an additional menu appears that allows you to manage the tabs further in detail.
[ img ]

When the tab order is preserved over sessions it also becomes possible to hide tabs or replace the tab name with an icon.

[ img ]

Feedback and suggestions

I maintain a list of 'issues' I may want to work on at the GitHub project page. If you are experienced with GitHub, feel free to post it there, otherwise I'll gladly discuss things in here.
Last edited by Glodenox on Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:46 pm, edited 18 times in total.
Script Writing Community Coordinator
[ img ][ img ]
Glodenox
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re: [Script] WME Tab Preferences

Postby Glodenox » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:55 am

The next couple of features I'll be working on are:
  • Hiding a tab
  • Changing the name of a tab
Any other ideas on how the tabs can be improved are most certainly welcome!
I'm currently thinking of how I can make it easier to move the tabs around and how to make many tabs take up less space.
[ img ][ img ]
Glodenox
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby vince1612 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:07 pm

[ img ]

Thanks a lot !

Will the renaming also let us choose an icon, like in your suggestion here ?
[ img ]
Wiki & Forum: Wiki CH (D) (FR) | Forum CH (D) (FR) (I)
1+1=3 - The result of bringing talents together goes beyond simply adding them up.
vince1612
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Glodenox » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:12 pm

vince1612 wrote:Will the renaming also let us choose an icon, like in your suggestion here ?

I'm currently thinking of allowing people to enter some text or an icon as a replacement. I still have to figure out a nice way of getting and presenting all these icons, but that shouldn't be too hard :)
[ img ][ img ]
Glodenox
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby tonytx05 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:39 pm

Woohoo!
Area Manager: Andrews | Brazos County | Houston

[ img ][ img ]

If you edit in Texas, please make sure you read the following:
USA South Central Region Info | Best Practices | Edits to Avoid
tonytx05
Beta tester
Beta tester

Re: [Script] WME Tab Preferences [v1.0]

Postby Glodenox » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:45 pm

It took me a week or two more than expected, but version 1.0 has been released!

This release makes the userscript a lot more interesting as it is now possible to:
  • Adjust the width and height of the tabs
  • Hide tabs you don't need
  • Replace the tab text completely with an icon

[ img ]

[ img ]

I'm aware of the several icons that are invalid in the list, a lot of these missing icons are currently only available in the beta version of the WME or will only be available in the next version of the symbol font used in Waze (FontAwesome).

Next up I'll be working on another script, so apart from any bugfixes I most likely won't be adding any new features soon.
[ img ][ img ]
Glodenox
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby vince1612 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:05 pm

Thank you :D

I can't see the settings in my settings tab.. I only have the native WME settings, hardhats and validator in there. :?

Both in beta and prod.
[ img ]
1+1=3 - The result of bringing talents together goes beyond simply adding them up.
vince1612
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Glodenox » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:20 am

I should've tested it on Chrome as well... Apparently Chrome doesn't support the let statement yet in JavaScript, causing it to fail. Il'l have to try to find a way around that.
[ img ][ img ]
Glodenox
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re: [Script] WME Tab Preferences [v1.0.2]

Postby Glodenox » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:49 am

Turned out that the fix was quite easy: when I enabled strict mode for JavaScript, let is supported in Chrome. It would have been a bit more complex to do that piece of code with var, so I'm happy there was that option. (v1.0.1)
Next to that, I've also noticed that the reset buttons next to the tab size sliders didn't fully work as Google Chrome didn't allow for an InputEvent to be constructed (even though it's the only correct event to trigger for range inputs). Luckily I found an even simpler solution to the code I was trying to fix. (v1.0.2)
[ img ][ img ]
Glodenox
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re: [Script] WME Tab Preferences [v1.0.2]

Postby vince1612 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:37 am

\o/ I see it now !

Renaming tabs etc is working very well and looks very cool.

It seems to be conflicting with UROverview Plus (URO+) and WME Maximized, because I couldn't get the width and height settings to work properly with those scripts on. When I had them off it worked perfectly though :)
[ img ]
vince1612
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Next

Return to Addons, Extensions, and Scripts