[Script] Snapshot Mode

Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Forum rules
Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

DO NOT START a new thread unless it is about a new idea. Keep discussion of existing tools within the main thread for that tool.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Re: [Script] Snapshot Mode

Postby kizeus » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:46 pm

thank you very much already installed and running
Carlos villarreal
Ingeniero mecánico

[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ][ img ]
kizeus
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby WilfredsCat » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:59 am

kizeus wrote:thank you very much already installed and running

How does it work now? Still can't see the Button.
[ img ][ img ]
CM Germany | BM Baden-Württemberg | AM Müritz | App Beta Leader

Waze Baden-Württemberg: Twitter | Facebook
WilfredsCat
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby iainhouse » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:26 am

It appears as a clickable link "Snapshot Mode" at the top of the side panel, just below the Waze logo.

But, as stated above, the snapshot mode itself is not working. The script will enable/disable it, but the only effect is the appearance at the top of the map area of a banner saying "Snapshot mode - editing is disabled Return to edit mode".

This is a staff-only mode to which told we could use. Now, presumably, they have locked it down so that it only has an effect if you really are staff.
[ img ][ img ][ img ]
UK AdminsUK WikiWaze FAQWMEFU Script :ugeek:
I want to go to a commune in Vermont and deal with no unit of time shorter than a season
iainhouse
Country Manager
Country Manager

Location: on the road from London to insanity, with Waze HQ in the driving seat

Postby vince1612 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:36 pm

Staff announced today in the WME beta forums that snapshot mode woud be available again but it was only requested for ranks 4, 5 and 6.
[ img ]
Wiki & Forum: Wiki CH (D) (FR) | Forum CH (D) (FR) (I)
1+1=3 - The result of bringing talents together goes beyond simply adding them up.
vince1612
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CoolCanuck » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:57 pm

vince1612 wrote:Staff announced today in the WME beta forums that snapshot mode woud be available again but it was only requested for ranks 4, 5 and 6.

I am almost certain I can work around that restriction for L1-3's. There's absolutely no reason why they should not have access, assuming snapshot mode is just for viewing the live version of edits - I never got a proper explanation as to what snapshot mode is. Thanks for your patience.
[ img ][ img ]
iPhone 6s (iOS 11.1)

[ img ]
CoolCanuck
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby RussPA » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:50 pm

CoolCanuck wrote:I am almost certain I can work around that restriction for L1-3's. There's absolutely no reason why they should not have access, assuming snapshot mode is just for viewing the live version of edits

If you can, PLEASE do. I found it a very valuable tool for fixing errors, and it would be nice to have back, for us non-L4+ editors.
Samsung Galaxy S5, Android 6.0.1
[ img ] [ img ] [ img ] [ img ] [ img ] [ img ]
USA CM/NOR MSM
WME Beta Deputy Community Coordinator
RussPA
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby voludu2 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:55 am

I agree with RussPA. It is a very valuable diagnostic tool for editors of all ranks.

If you can see what map the app and livemap are using and how that compares to the map we are currently editing, you can sometimes make a lot more sense of little map problems that are caused by some issue that may already have been fixed or partially fixed.

Or - if you've spotted some ill-considered changes made since the last time update, it can help to be able to see the previously-working version in order to more quickly put things right again.

Can anybody think of any reason why it would cause a problem to allow all editors to see snapshot mode? Perhaps, after everyone is comfortable with this feature, it will be possible to extend it to all editors.

[ img ]
USA Northeast Region Discord Chat
State Manager - Pennsylvania
Country Manager - USA and Thailand
Wiki Master, Global Mentor
utilitas, simplicitas, retentionis
voludu2
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5

Postby aBshield » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:59 pm

Besides my personal stake in losing access to the feature, I really can't think of a single reason why access for all would be a dangerous prospect for Waze. I would echo the same reasons that have been brought up already.

I found this feature incredible useful when...
  • ...coming on the scene where partial fixes had been attempted and the current editor requesting help has got them-self into a jam.
  • ...helping myself out of a jam.
  • ...determining if all the latest changes have been incorporated into the map. If I'm testing a certain setup, this was also useful to ensure alt names etc (that do not show up on Livemap) are incorporated before proceeding with test.
  • ...determining if URs or other issues are the result of a delayed tile updates.
I'm aware that one can just check the tile update status dates for some of these, but it's not always that simple. Changes in WME are not logged by time of day, so often it's necessary to wait and ensure there's at least one full calendar day difference between the current tile update status and the "last modified" attribute. There's also time zone changes to consider etc. and you really couldn't beat a quick click of snapshot mode telling you instantly what the last tile update has on record, all right in WME.
aBshield
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Postby PesachZ » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:02 pm

The only thing we don't know is what other privileges or features come with snapshot mode. Therefore without knowing the full ramifications of having the mode enabled, we can not know why they intend to restrict to L4+

Sent from Android using Tapatalk
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]NY[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
Formal Mentoring, Wiki
Useful Wiki pages
URs & etiquette | WME | Editing Manual | Quick-Start Guide | Best Map Editing Practices | Junctions
State specific Wiki | Forum
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby tonytx05 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:34 pm

Restrictions are usually intended to prevent damage to the map. Since you can't edit anything in snapshot mode, you inherently can't cause any map damage so I don't see any reason to restrict it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Area Manager: Andrews | Brazos County | Houston

[ img ][ img ]

If you edit in Texas, please make sure you read the following:
USA South Central Region Info | Best Practices | Edits to Avoid
tonytx05
Beta tester
Beta tester

PreviousNext

Return to Addons, Extensions, and Scripts