[Script] WME Street View Availability (0.7.1)

Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein, JustinS83, Glodenox

Forum rules
Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

DO NOT START a new thread unless it is about a new idea. Keep discussion of existing tools within the main thread for that tool.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

[Script] WME Street View Availability (0.7.1)

Postby Glodenox » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:14 pm

WME userscript that shows where you can expect to find Street View imagery. The information provided is quite basic, but this is all that is readily available to show.
Additionally, this script shows the month on which this Street View imagery was acquired.

How to use
[ img ]

Whenever you drag the Street View marker in the map editor, blue lines indicating where Street View imagery is available will appear.

If you wish to modify how transparent the lines are, you can use this bookmarklet with version 0.3 to change your preference (default: 100% visible):
Code: Select all
javascript:localStorage.WME_StreetViewAvailability=JSON.stringify({opacity:prompt('Give a percentage between 0 and 100',100)/100});W.map.getLayersByName('Street View')[0].setOpacity(JSON.parse(localStorage.WME_StreetViewAvailability).opacity);

Installation instructions
> TL;DR: install as most other WME userscripts from Greasy Fork: INSTALL USERSCRIPT

Userscripts are snippets of code that are executed after the loading of certain webpages. This script does this after the loading of the Waze Map Editor. In order to run userscripts in your browser, you are adviced to use Firefox or Google Chrome.

You will need to install an add-on that manages userscripts for this to work. There's TamperMonkey for Firefox and Chrome.

These add-ons will be visible in the browser with an additional button that is visible to the right of the address bar. Through this button it will be possible to maintain any userscripts you install.

For WME Street View Availability, you should be able to install the script at Greasy Fork. There will be a big green install button which you will have to press to install the script.
When installing userscripts always pay attention to the site(s) on which the script runs. This script only runs on Waze.com, so other sites will not be affected in any way.

After installing a userscript, you will be able to find it working on the site(s) specified. Do note that if you had the page open before installing the userscript, you will first need to refresh the page.

TamperMonkey will occasionally check for new versions of these scripts. You will get a notification when a new version has been found and installed.

Feedback and suggestions
Any issues found can be reported in this forum or directly on the GitHub project page.
Last edited by Glodenox on Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:18 pm, edited 19 times in total.
Script Writing Community Coordinator
[ img ][ img ]
Glodenox
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re: [Script] WME Street View Availability [0.1]

Postby vince1612 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:14 am

This is awesome! Thank you!!!!!!! :D :D :D
[ img ]
Wiki & Forum: Wiki CH (D) (FR) | Forum CH (D) (FR) (I)
1+1=3 - The result of bringing talents together goes beyond simply adding them up.
vince1612
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Olestas » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:13 am

Wow.. just works :D
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]

GC: Latvia
Coordinator: Latvia
Country manager (Full coverage): Latvia/Lithuania/Belarus/Russia/Ukraine
Olestas
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby Toalettborste » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:17 pm

Great script!
Toalettborste
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby Glodenox » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:21 pm

Thanks! I've been trying to think of things I could do to improve it further, but the code is very concise right now and I don't think any additional features are really necessary.

I could make sure the layer is placed exactly on top of the roads layer, but I can't say I've encountered any issues with that myself so far. The loading of the script could produce less noise in the console, but that's not really an issue, I'd say. The only thing I've noticed myself is that the availability layer disappears once you pan the map so the street view marker moves out of sight. But fixing those kinds of things will take me longer than what it's worth.
[ img ][ img ]
Glodenox
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby tonestertm » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:24 am

This is just great, thanks for coming up with it!

Is there any chance the relative age of the available SV could be reflected in the lines? Maybe thickness or transparency, or color, or....? This could make looking for the most recent imagery in a given location apparent before dropping the lens.
[ img ]
ARC for SW Region, USA
US Local Champ, US Country Manager
The best editors Read the Wiki and read it often. Learn the proper way to handle URs. Don't draw another Place until you read this!
tonestertm
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Re: [Script] WME Street View Availability [0.2]

Postby Glodenox » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:15 am

Sadly enough I don't receive that sort of information from that service. All I get are images like this one containing those lines. I can't infer any additional information from that, I'm afraid. I've been trying to adjust the style, but none of those attempts succeeded.

Note: I've just released version 0.2 of the script. There are no functional changes in this release.
I've added a script icon and instead of getting all the images from the same server at Google, the script now randomly chooses one of the four servers available to distribute the requests.
[ img ][ img ]
Glodenox
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby TheLastTaterTot » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:54 am

Glodenox wrote:I've been trying to adjust the style, but none of those attempts succeeded.

Thank you for trying! As a personal preference, it would be great if the opacity could be reduced even just slightly, but it's fine as-is too.
R5 | RI SM | CA, MA & NY AM | Mentor
TheLastTaterTot
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby Glodenox » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:46 am

The opacity is something I can change. I'm personally happy with the opacity, but if you want to, you can experiment with this yourself with this bookmarklet:
javascript:Waze.map.getLayersByName('Street View')[0].setOpacity(prompt('Give a value between 0 and 100', 100) / 100);

It'll allow you to enter a value between 0 and 100 (percent) to change the opacity of the layer. I don't think anything under 80% is desirable though.
Last edited by Glodenox on Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
[ img ][ img ]
Glodenox
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re: [Script] WME Street View Availability [0.3]

Postby Glodenox » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:32 pm

I've just released version 0.3. This version makes it possible to set the opacity of the lines to any value you want and stores it over sessions. As I think not too many people will be using this option, I just created a simple bookmarklet for this instead of adding it to the settings menu:
javascript:localStorage.WME_StreetViewAvailability=JSON.stringify({opacity:prompt('Give a percentage between 0 and 100',100)/100});Waze.map.getLayersByName('Street View')[0].setOpacity(JSON.parse(localStorage.WME_StreetViewAvailability).opacity);
Last edited by Glodenox on Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
[ img ][ img ]
Glodenox
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Next

Return to Addons, Extensions, and Scripts