[Script] WME Fix UI v2.35 -- 2019-08-19

Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein, JustinS83, Glodenox

Forum rules
Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

DO NOT START a new thread unless it is about a new idea. Keep discussion of existing tools within the main thread for that tool.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Re: [Script] WME Fix UI v0.5

Postby t0cableguy » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:50 pm

iainhouse wrote:
t0cableguy wrote:I think you are crowding the top of the left pane a little at the top. panel swap and the beta/prod toggle for Keep My Layers are overlapping things when they shouldn't.

It's a fair comment, but try this little experiment: resize your screen to 1320x768 and have a look at the side panel. You'll find it's now full from top to bottom.

Since that is the goal I don't see a problem unless I can't use the buttons. The WMEKML switch resides in the left pane when you are looking at the tabs in the info pane. Sometimes it gets covered if the right items load up and completely fill the first line of tabs. It's a persistent switch so I can just turn off wmefu and switch it, and turn it back on.

I also believe the highlighting on the street name is counter productive. It does bring your attention that it is there, but it also makes it harder to read.
On a cheap display the yellow and black don't contrast well.
I'm no longer editing. Please don't contact me with things regarding Waze, unless you want the info on how to take over the SE URcomments list. Then email or send me a message on GHO at gmail.com t0cableguy@
t0cableguy

Re: [Script] WME Fix UI v0.6

Postby iainhouse » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:54 pm

t0cableguy wrote:I also believe the highlighting on the street name is counter productive. It does bring your attention that it is there, but it also makes it harder to read.

Personally, I find the nature of the clickable street name without highlighting to be poor style. It means that there is completely undistinguished white space that is part of the clickable link - particularly if the street names have only just spilled onto a second line.

I also found the street name hard to pick out if it looked just like other text. In fact, I kept opening "closures" instead - because it was the closest visually-identifiable action button to the street name I should have been clicking. :lol:

However, I certainly take onboard your comments about lack of contrast on cheap displays. I did consider changing the text colour. How about this?
streethighlight.jpg
(6.06 KiB) Downloaded 1000 times

That's a paler highlight, text colour changed to black and slightly bigger & bolder font.

[EDIT] Before you decide whether you like that, scroll so that it's near the top of the screen. Another feature of LCDs is a tendency for colour reproduction to depend on viewing angle. When I reviewed the post, the highlight looked too pale. Scrolling it to the top returned it to looking like it did in the editor. :geek:
[ img ][ img ][ img ]
UK AdminsUK WikiWaze FAQWMEFU Script :ugeek:
I want to go to a commune in Vermont and deal with no unit of time shorter than a season
iainhouse
Country Manager
Country Manager

Location: on the road from London to insanity, with Waze HQ in the driving seat

Postby iainhouse » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:12 pm

sh-oded wrote:Thanks for all improvents till now.
There's a new bug in 0.6 for RTL (Hebew) display: The upper icons are not left justifed - a white gap appears. See in the attached images:
FU0.6En.jpg

FU0.6HE.jpg

Bum! If my exposure to hebrew was more frequent that Pesach, Chanukah and funerals, I might remember to consider RTL more often. :(

I can immediately guess what the problem is. Because the WME interface contains very few elements with unique IDs, I have to fiddle with the CSS for classes of elements. It's actually quite difficult to remove a style from a class - so most elements of my script either set values to reduced, or to what they are "normally". In this case, there is a value I'm setting to "standard" for the side panel that is only standard for LTR languages.

As before, if I have to, I'll encode a RTL check to disable the side panel narrowing module. But only if I can't make it work with RTL. :)
[ img ][ img ][ img ]
I want to go to a commune in Vermont and deal with no unit of time shorter than a season
iainhouse
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby t0cableguy » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:42 pm

I'll say i like it better than the blue on the bright yellow. I have never understood the need for companies to mess with properly contrasting colors on a screen text.
I'm no longer editing. Please don't contact me with things regarding Waze, unless you want the info on how to take over the SE URcomments list. Then email or send me a message on GHO at gmail.com t0cableguy@
t0cableguy

Postby ottonomy » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:17 am

First, Iainhouse, I must just say THANK YOU, especially for just rescuing the zoom bar!

t0cableguy wrote:I also believe the highlighting on the street name is counter productive. It does bring your attention that it is there, but it also makes it harder to read.

I also find it more difficult to read the road name with the bright yellow highlight behind it. I was going to suggest offering a checkbox for the highlight.

iainhouse wrote:Personally, I find the nature of the clickable street name without highlighting to be poor style. It means that there is completely undistinguished white space that is part of the clickable link - particularly if the street names have only just spilled onto a second line.

I also found the street name hard to pick out if it looked just like other text. In fact, I kept opening "closures" instead - because it was the closest visually-identifiable action button to the street name I should have been clicking. :lol:

However, I certainly take onboard your comments about lack of contrast on cheap displays. I did consider changing the text colour. How about this?

That's a paler highlight, text colour changed to black and slightly bigger & bolder font.

[EDIT] Before you decide whether you like that, scroll so that it's near the top of the screen. Another feature of LCDs is a tendency for colour reproduction to depend on viewing angle. When I reviewed the post, the highlight looked too pale. Scrolling it to the top returned it to looking like it did in the editor. :geek:

I think the lighter highlight and black text are a vast improvement in readability!

How hard would it be to bold the text for the road name itself, but leave the City/State/Country info in a standard face? It's always bothered me how that tends to run together. When viewing a ramp name, I'm sometimes fooled into thinking that there's a control city at the end, when in fact, it's just the city property of the segment.
Country Manager & Global Champ - United States
Regional Coordinator - Southwest USA
Area Manager - Southern California
ottonomy
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby iainhouse » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:36 pm

sh-oded wrote:Thanks for all improvents till now.
There's a new bug in 0.6 for RTL (Hebew) display: The upper icons are not left justifed - a white gap appears.

I've identified this problem. It will be fixed in the next update. :mrgreen:
[ img ][ img ][ img ]
iainhouse
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby iainhouse » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:45 pm

ottonomy wrote:How hard would it be to bold the text for the road name itself, but leave the City/State/Country info in a standard face?

Short answer - moderately hard, but a great suggestion. :)

The real problem is that the way this script currently works is by doing settings during map loading and then stopping. My intention is not to do anything to slow down the editor. The street/city/state information is simply a block of text inside a div element. That block of text doesn't exist until a segment is selected (so I can't change it in advance) and there is nothing to differentiate one part of the text from another so I can apply different styles.

That's not to say it's impossible. The container for the text always exists and I could theoretically have the event of the contents changing trigger a routine that pulls out the text, applies some highlighting markup based on the appearance of commas and then pushes that marked-up text back into the container.

I don't think I'm going to get into that now but, once the development pace slows down a little bit (say 1 release a week :lol: ), feel free to ask me again. :)
[ img ][ img ][ img ]
iainhouse
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby iainhouse » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:37 pm

t0cableguy wrote:The WMEKML switch resides in the left pane when you are looking at the tabs in the info pane. Sometimes it gets covered if the right items load up and completely fill the first line of tabs. It's a persistent switch so I can just turn off wmefu and switch it, and turn it back on.

I've installed KML and had a look. I presume the button you are referring to is the Beta/Prod toggle switch? If so, then I've moved it up for the next version. :mrgreen:

As for the WME Panel Swap button: it turns out there are two of them - one for each display mode in the LH panel. And, of course, I was only moving one of them. :lol: That's also fixed for the next version.
shifted buttons.jpg
(7.61 KiB) Downloaded 840 times
[ img ][ img ][ img ]
iainhouse
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:57 pm

I like the map space is usable immediately after save completes. If you could look into getting the zoom controls area visible at the same time, that'd be super.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby herrchin » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:04 am

iainhouse, you're killing it, if that isn't obvious from everyone chiming in with more tweak requests :)

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
USA Country Manager / UT and IA SM
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
herrchin
Country Manager
Country Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Addons, Extensions, and Scripts