[Script] WME US Government Boundaries

Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein, Glodenox, JustinS83

Forum rules
Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

DO NOT START a new thread unless it is about a new idea. Keep discussion of existing tools within the main thread for that tool.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Re: [Script] WME US Government Boundaries

Postby MapOMatic » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:08 am

Release v2018.12.30.002
Added a new time zones layer. Please note that the boundaries are very rough approximations. Also, they may not display properly (or at all) at zoom levels above 5. Something to do with a limitation of OpenLayers and how long the line segments are.
[ img ] [ img ]

AM Central KY | CM USA
MapOMatic
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby dfortney » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:10 pm

Thanks MapOMatic for the awesome ability to pull in USPS routes!

I'm seeing some instances where it is pulling in alternate cities rather than the default / recommended city. Here's an example in Menlo Park, CA - zip 94025. The script is pulling back West Menlo Park, which is evidently an allowed alternate name, but it is not the common name, and it's also not the recommended name using the USPS Zip Code locator searching for an address (I used 1185 Noel Dr, 94025 for my testing)

https://www.waze.com/en-US/editor/?env= ... ts=6008874
[ img ] [ img ] [ img ] [ img ] [ img ] [ img ][ img ]
Rank 5 | US Country Manager | North Carolina State Manager | SAT Multi-state Manager | Northern California AM
dfortney
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby MapOMatic » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:56 pm

dfortney wrote:Thanks MapOMatic for the awesome ability to pull in USPS routes!

I'm seeing some instances where it is pulling in alternate cities rather than the default / recommended city. Here's an example in Menlo Park, CA - zip 94025. The script is pulling back West Menlo Park, which is evidently an allowed alternate name, but it is not the common name, and it's also not the recommended name using the USPS Zip Code locator searching for an address (I used 1185 Noel Dr, 94025 for my testing)

https://www.waze.com/en-US/editor/?env= ... ts=6008874

Hmmm, that's odd. Have you seen more instances of that? I'd like to see if there's any pattern. Unfortunately that's the only city name provided in the data so I'm not sure what I could do to fix it. I don't know why they'd list West Menlo Park, unless it has something to do with the facility being located in West Menlo Park (or it's just a mistake). Both Atherton and West Menlo Park routes list "MENLO PARK" as the facility name.
[ img ] [ img ]

AM Central KY | CM USA
MapOMatic
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby dfortney » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:43 pm

The "West Menlo Park" section of Menlo Park is in a different area of town, but the zip code 94025 is used for both. It must just be a mistake.

Here's another address giving an incorrect result: 25501 Chapin Rd, Los Altos Hills, CA
The script is using Los Altos instead of Los Altos Hills.
Rank 5 | US Country Manager | North Carolina State Manager | SAT Multi-state Manager | Northern California AM
dfortney
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby MapOMatic » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:02 am

dfortney wrote:Here's another address giving an incorrect result: 25501 Chapin Rd, Los Altos Hills, CA
The script is using Los Altos instead of Los Altos Hills.

That one is at least returning the "recommended" city for 94022. I believe that's a good example where local editor knowledge would have to prevail (unfortunately).
[ img ] [ img ]

AM Central KY | CM USA
MapOMatic
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby dfortney » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:25 am

If you use the USPS Zip Code by Address search, and put the address in without city / state, and add the zip code, the search comes back with the "correct" city, at least in the two examples above (Menlo Park instead of West Menlo Park, and Los Altos Hills instead of Los Altos).
dfortney
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby MapOMatic » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:48 pm

Understood. I just meant that if you go to the search for city by ZIP code lookup, the recommended city is Los Altos (but Los Altos Hills is also recognized). I can't explain why it's returning West Menlo Park as the recommended city.

I think this is good evidence that we shouldn't blindly trust this tool. Still need to do some research when things don't seem to make sense.
[ img ] [ img ]

AM Central KY | CM USA
MapOMatic
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby dfortney » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:14 pm

I’m getting Los Altos Hills when using the USPS Zip Code search. I entered the address and zip (25501 Chapin Rd, 94022) without a city name (or state). But regardless, clearly USPS has inconsistent data in he zip code search vs. the source you are pulling from, and edge cases will require local knowledge or additional verification.
dfortney
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby MapOMatic » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:32 pm

Sorry, I probably wasn't clear. I was referring to the search results from this page:
https://tools.usps.com/zip-code-lookup. ... ybyzipcode
2019-01-02_15h20_28.png
(12.97 KiB) Downloaded 117 times

People seem to be finding cases of inconsistent data fairly regularly, unfortunately. I was really hoping this would be more reliable and allow us to update city names with some confidence. But it's looking more and more like it should be treated with a healthy dose of skepticism. I've been finding it very helpful in (most) rural areas of KY I've been looking at, but I've also found a couple head-scratching scenarios. I guess, as seems to be the case with most large collections of data like this, YMMV.
[ img ] [ img ]

AM Central KY | CM USA
MapOMatic
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby juliansean » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:27 pm

Loving the time zones! Thank you.

Sean
Sean Julian
SM: TX, LA, MS, AR, OK
AM: SE FL, Boston, MA, Brooklyn, NY, Bronx, NY, Manhattan, NY, Queens, NY, E CA, SW KS

[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
juliansean
State Manager
State Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Addons, Extensions, and Scripts