Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Forum rules
Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

DO NOT START a new thread unless it is about a new idea. Keep discussion of existing tools within the main thread for that tool.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Getting started with scripting for WME

Post by iainhouse
There's nothing in the way of classes specifically for WME. If you search the Wiki for "scripts" you will find a list of scripts plus a link to some basic starter information.

The best way to get started is simply to examine some of the scripts that already exist. Apart from a couple of the most powerful scripts which have protections to hide the code, the source code for all the scripts is easily available. Have a look through some and see what they are doing and how.

The other advice I would give is "dive in". :D Create a basic framework script that does maybe nothing more than create a tab in the LH pane. Then experiment to see what you can do. For my own script development, I use a decent text-editor and edit the script directly in the Chrome addons folder. That lets me make changes and see what happens immediately on refresh - but I do have to be careful about keeping backup copies in case I make a mess of it. :lol:
iainhouse
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Answers: 1
Answers: 1

POSTER_ID:9133856

Send a message
https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... c4/AGC.pnghttps://sign.waze.tools/s2000.pnghttps://sign.waze.tools/c6.png
My scripts: WME FixUI WME Presets :ugeek:
I want to go to a commune in Vermont and deal with no unit of time shorter than a season

Post by JustinS83
Mapman,

Awesome to see someone else take an interest in scripting!

As Ian mentioned, the best way to get started is by looking at some of the scripts that you use every day - you already know what they do, so read through and try and figure out how they do it. Start with the more simple scripts that do not have a ton of features just so it is a bit easier to follow.

Myself and another scripter/editor, MapoMatic, have started working on a base library for scripters called WazeWrap. If you are starting out scripting you may find it useful - makes some things easier, like creating a tab in the left pane or assigning keyboard shortcuts to actions, and hopefully helps simplify the code a little.

I use WazeWrap in several of my scripts - you can check those out if you want some ideas how it is used. There is also the scripts channel in the Waze USA Slack if you have specific questions.
JustinS83
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message