[Script] WME Image Overlays (1.2.0)

Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Forum rules
Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

DO NOT START a new thread unless it is about a new idea. Keep discussion of existing tools within the main thread for that tool.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

[Script] WME Image Overlays (1.2.0)

Postby Glodenox » Mon May 01, 2017 8:04 pm

This userscript augments the Waze Map Editor by adding the capability to overlay a local image onto the map as background help. This makes it possible to accurately draw roads that aren't available yet on satellite imagery.

[ img ]

How to use
The script adds a new tab where you can add new images to the map and find the current list of images already on the map. When adding a new image, you can choose a local file or paste an image from your clipboard. Once you've properly aligned the image and pinned it to the map, it will be stored locally on your computer for future use.

Installation instructions
TL;DR: install as most other WME userscripts from its Greasy Fork page: INSTALL IMAGE OVERLAYS

Userscripts are snippets of code that are executed after the loading of certain webpages. This script does this after the loading of the Waze Map Editor. In order to run userscripts in your browser, you are adviced to use Firefox or Google Chrome.

You will need to install an add-on that manages userscripts for this to work. There's TamperMonkey for Firefox and Chrome.

These add-ons will be visible in the browser with an additional button that is visible to the right of the address bar. Through this button it will be possible to maintain any userscripts you install.
For WME Image Overlays, you should be able to install the script at Greasy Fork. There will be a big green install button which you will have to press to install the script.

After installing a userscript, you will be able to find it working on the site(s) specified. Do note that if you had the page open before installing the userscript, you will first need to refresh the page.

TamperMonkey will occasionally check for new versions of these scripts. You will get a notification when a new version has been found and installed.

Feedback and suggestions
Any issues found can be reported at the GitHub project page or in this forum thread.
Last edited by Glodenox on Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:42 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Glodenox
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re: [Script] WME Image Overlays (0.7)

Postby juliansean » Mon May 01, 2017 8:24 pm

Looking forward to using this. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sean Julian
SM: Texas
AM: Bronx, NY, Jackson, MS, Manhattan, NY, Mexico City, MX, Queens, NY, Eastern California

[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
[ img ]
juliansean
State Manager
State Manager

Postby dspille » Tue May 02, 2017 1:26 am

Very cool. Thanks!
Thanks,
dspille
State Manager - Texas
Multi-State Manager - South Central Region

South Central Region Wazeopedia

[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
dspille
State Manager
State Manager

Postby BtBalways » Tue May 02, 2017 1:02 pm

Can stop using tracing paper now!
Brilliant Script allowing for zoom, rotation AND transparency; you seem to have thought of everything.
Roy
Learning from mistakes (Which is why I am getting to know quite a lot!)
BtBalways

Postby Glodenox » Tue May 02, 2017 1:20 pm

I'd still like to improve the controls to add the image, but adding those without fighting with the existing WME controls is a bit difficult. For now those buttons should suffice though :)
Glodenox
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby itzwolf » Tue May 02, 2017 1:38 pm

There have been many times I could have used this in the past, thank you for this!
Southeast Assistant Regional Coordinator
US Champ / US Country Manager
Florida State Manager

SER Wiki | SER Discord Chat

itzwolf
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby RichardPyne » Wed May 03, 2017 7:14 pm

Had my first occasion to use it this morning. THANK YOU! I was able to add a whole new subdivision of HNs in about 1/10th the time.
NZ7K
AM: USA: Idaho: S 1/2, Utah: Juab & Millard
My Wazeopedia page
RichardPyne
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby iainhouse » Wed May 03, 2017 7:34 pm

Excellent script! I look forward to making use of it.

Would it be possible to add some buttons for finer adjustments to the image size when aligning it? I know it may damage image quality, but the the image I just tested with couldn't quite be size-adjusted to match WME.

AN opacity slider or control during alignment might be useful too. :mrgreen:
[ img ][ img ][ img ]
UK AdminsUK WikiWaze FAQWMEFU Script :ugeek:
I want to go to a commune in Vermont and deal with no unit of time shorter than a season
iainhouse
Country Manager
Country Manager

Location: on the road from London to insanity, with Waze HQ in the driving seat

Postby jm6087 » Wed May 03, 2017 9:01 pm

iainhouse wrote:Excellent script! I look forward to making use of it.

Would it be possible to add some buttons for finer adjustments to the image size when aligning it? I know it may damage image quality, but the the image I just tested with couldn't quite be size-adjusted to match WME.

AN opacity slider or control during alignment might be useful too. :mrgreen:

I haven't had the opportunity to use this script yet but look forward to it when I do. I do agree, fine tune adjustments and opacity would be a great addition.
jm6087
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby Glodenox » Wed May 03, 2017 9:25 pm

iainhouse wrote:Would it be possible to add some buttons for finer adjustments to the image size when aligning it?

The buttons already allow for finer adjustments the more you are zoomed in :) They basically scale with the zoom level of the map. Only the rotation buttons keep working in multiples of 0.5 degrees at all times. I've tried several small and big images and that always worked well enough. It's not always possible to have a 100% match, but it should be good enough to draw roads or add places.

iainhouse wrote:An opacity slider or control during alignment might be useful too. :mrgreen:

An opacity slider already becomes available in the image overlays tab after you've selected an image to align. Perhaps you moved to another tab and didn't notice it that way? I decided to leave the opacity slider and parent map selector there as they were already present there for later adjustments.
Glodenox
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Next

Return to Addons, Extensions, and Scripts