[Script] WME Image Overlays (1.0)

Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Forum rules
Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

DO NOT START a new thread unless it is about a new idea. Keep discussion of existing tools within the main thread for that tool.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Re: [Script] WME Image Overlays (0.8.3)

Postby Glodenox » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:43 pm

Version 0.8.3 has been released. This includes a fix for a breaking issue in beta WME and some improvements to how the script works if the WME is using a language other than English.
ImageImage
Glodenox
Map Raider
Map Raider

Re: [Script] WME Image Overlays (0.8.2)

Postby Glodenox » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:29 pm

Version 0.8.2 has just been released.
This version fixes the issue with the script activation with a missing trailing slash in the URL and adjusts the link used at the version to point to this topic instead of to GreasyFork.
ImageImage
Glodenox
Map Raider
Map Raider

Re: [Script] WME Image Overlays (0.8.1)

Postby Glodenox » Sat May 06, 2017 6:01 pm

Version 0.8.1 is out now.
This version includes the en-GB language strings bugfix and adds a one-time warning message about which data sources are allowed to be used in the Waze map.

I had reasoned that this script would most likely not be used by lower leveled editors who aren't aware yet about which data sources are fine to use and which aren't, but just to be on the safe side I've added a one-time warning that can't be clicked away immediately that explains which sources are safe to use and which aren't. Please note that you won't get to see this warning message if you are rank 4 or higher already.
ImageImage
Glodenox
Map Raider
Map Raider

Re: [Script] WME Image Overlays (0.7)

Postby Glodenox » Fri May 05, 2017 8:03 am

Has the English (GB) identifier changed again then? :( At least it's consistent now. I'll get it fixed later today.

I could provide a sensitivity slider below the controls, though I've always seen those controls as a temporary solution anyway. My current train of thought is to add handles to the image that allow you to resize/rotate/transform it, but make the buttons show up in a corner of the map whenever you've zoomed in on the image so much that you can't use those handles any more to adjust the image. I know that it's possible to implement this and mostly know how to do it. I just need to check how practical it would be to use.

I had thought about adjusting the image after it has been attached, but I couldn't find any often occurring use case that warrants the changes in the work flow that would be needed. Allowing adjustments later on would also make it slightly harder for me to implement an alternative way of aligning the image to the map, but I'd rather not talk about that yet before I've actually tried it out.
ImageImage
Glodenox
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby Glodenox » Thu May 04, 2017 12:47 pm

The only thing the script currently doesn't allow is stretching images in a horizontal or vertical way only. But I'm not certain whether I should try to add that as such images generally can't be relied on to accurately draw roads on the map.
ImageImage
Glodenox
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby Glodenox » Wed May 03, 2017 9:25 pm

iainhouse wrote:Would it be possible to add some buttons for finer adjustments to the image size when aligning it?

The buttons already allow for finer adjustments the more you are zoomed in :) They basically scale with the zoom level of the map. Only the rotation buttons keep working in multiples of 0.5 degrees at all times. I've tried several small and big images and that always worked well enough. It's not always possible to have a 100% match, but it should be good enough to draw roads or add places.

iainhouse wrote:An opacity slider or control during alignment might be useful too. :mrgreen:

An opacity slider already becomes available in the image overlays tab after you've selected an image to align. Perhaps you moved to another tab and didn't notice it that way? I decided to leave the opacity slider and parent map selector there as they were already present there for later adjustments.
ImageImage
Glodenox
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby Glodenox » Tue May 02, 2017 1:20 pm

I'd still like to improve the controls to add the image, but adding those without fighting with the existing WME controls is a bit difficult. For now those buttons should suffice though :)
ImageImage
Glodenox
Map Raider
Map Raider

[Script] WME Image Overlays (1.0)

Postby Glodenox » Mon May 01, 2017 8:04 pm

This userscript augments the Waze Map Editor by adding the capability to overlay a local image onto the map as background help. This makes it possible to accurately draw roads that aren't available yet on satellite imagery.

How to use
The script adds a new tab where you can add new images to the map and find the current list of images already on the map. When adding a new image, you can choose a local file or paste an image from your clipboard. Once you've properly aligned the image and pinned it to the map, it will be stored locally on your computer for future use.

Installation instructions
TL;DR: install as most other WME userscripts from its Greasy Fork page: INSTALL IMAGE OVERLAYS

Userscripts are snippets of code that are executed after the loading of certain webpages. This script does this after the loading of the Waze Map Editor. In order to run userscripts in your browser, you are adviced to use Firefox or Google Chrome.

You will need to install an add-on that manages userscripts for this to work. If you use Firefox, you should install GreaseMonkey and for Google Chrome you should install TamperMonkey, though other add-ons may work as well.

These add-ons will be visible in the browser with an additional button that is visible to the right of the address bar. Through this button it will be possible to maintain any userscripts you install.
For WME Image Overlays, you should be able to install the script at Greasy Fork. There will be a big green install button which you will have to press to install the script.

After installing a userscript, you will be able to find it working on the site(s) specified. Do note that if you had the page open before installing the userscript, you will first need to refresh the page.

GreaseMonkey and TamperMonkey will occasionally check for new versions of these scripts. You will get a notification when a new version has been found and installed.

Feedback and suggestions
Any issues found can be reported at the GitHub project page or in this forum thread.
Last edited by Glodenox on Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:31 pm, edited 6 times in total.
ImageImage
Glodenox
Map Raider
Map Raider

Re: [Script] WME Image Overlays (1.0)

Postby dspille » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:18 pm

bz2012 wrote:For some reason, I find that there is no-longer a way to name and save an overlay.
I still have those I have made earlier, but can't add to the list.

I thought there might be a hidden limit on how many I could have named, but even when I delete several, I can't add a new one.

Strange. Are you not seeing the little edit icon to the right of the name? It seems to be working for me.

Thanks,
dspille
State Manager - Texas

South Central Region Wazeopedia

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
dspille
State Manager
State Manager

Re: [Script] WME Image Overlays (0.8.3)

Postby dspille » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:49 pm

voludu2 wrote:Unfortunately,since the WME upgrade, I cannot see the WME Image Overlay tab.

Strange. It is still working for me.
Thanks,
dspille
State Manager - Texas

South Central Region Wazeopedia

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
dspille
State Manager
State Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Addons, Extensions, and Scripts