[Script] WME HN NavPoints

Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein, JustinS83, Glodenox

Forum rules
Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

DO NOT START a new thread unless it is about a new idea. Keep discussion of existing tools within the main thread for that tool.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Re: [Script] WME HN NavPoints

Postby SeveriorumPatrem » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:36 am

RichardPyne wrote:I've found several like that, but I found one that makes me want a new feature, jump to address point. I followed one for nearly 100 miles before I gave up on finding it.

LOL. Sorry, but that did make me literally laugh out loud. :)

That could happen if there is more than one matching HN for the road name, but perhaps in a different county (assuming USA/NA addressing). If two roads have the same name and have no primary city set but are in the same state, you'll get the "already exists" error.

For example, say some small unincorporated community with no primary city has a "101 Main Street", and another unrelated unincorporated community far away but in the same state also has a "101 Main Street" with no primary city. I've run into this a few times.

Alt city naming with USPS cities solves the problem for searching purposes when someone wants one of them specifically, especially since it will give the closer search result first (which is probably almost always the desired result), but at the end of the day, both "101 Main St" addresses with no primary city in the same state are correct even though WME doesn't want you to do it

In order to get this to work so both addresses are searchable with alt cities, I will change the segment name, add the troublesome HN, then change the segment name back. Next time you open HNs on that segment, the "hack-forced" HN appears with a red border instead of green, but is still correct. As long as you leave it alone you are OK, but if you bump it you won't be able to save your changes. There are a lot of these double HNs that have existed ever since the initial HN imports, and were not created by an editor.

I'm guessing your long distance HN is from something like this.
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
The Grumpy Dad
The more I learn, the more I discover how much I don't know.
SeveriorumPatrem
State Manager
State Manager

Postby SeveriorumPatrem » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:16 am

russblau wrote:
MajkiiTelini wrote:Define overlap.

Two (or more) HNs at precisely the same coordinates.

This condition occurs by design virtually all the time in cul-de-sacs, so there will be a significant number of false positives.
Capture.JPG
(51.96 KiB) Downloaded 297 times

Is it not enough to visually notice when a bunch of attachment lines converge on a single point where they shouldn't?
Capture1.JPG
(41.47 KiB) Downloaded 292 times
Capture2.JPG
(75.56 KiB) Downloaded 293 times

And as for the original request prompting this discussion - closely-spaced HNs that aren't precisely stacked on top of each other - that can also exist by design when there are a bunch of street-facing units piled close together in real life, so even if some level of logic was developed to detect close-spaced HNs, there might be more false positives where nothing is wrong.
The Grumpy Dad
SeveriorumPatrem
State Manager
State Manager

Postby SeveriorumPatrem » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:41 pm

russblau wrote:No, what you have identified is multiple stop points at the same coordinates, not multiple HNs. Two different issues.

Ah yes, I understand the difference now, thanks for the clarification!
The Grumpy Dad
SeveriorumPatrem
State Manager
State Manager

Postby SeveriorumPatrem » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:29 pm

I also did this once, right in the middle of making some changes, when I wanted to gut check something. Didn't think it would work, but figured why not? And it did, briefly (successfully for my needs), but when I tried it again later it didn't. I guess something is cached somewhere somehow? Probably related to why we see multiple lines after editing (both before and after lines) for a bit in many cases.
The Grumpy Dad
SeveriorumPatrem
State Manager
State Manager

Postby SeveriorumPatrem » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:01 pm

Have to admit, I'm curious about the alternative solution to HNs in the CZ community....
The Grumpy Dad
SeveriorumPatrem
State Manager
State Manager

Postby SeveriorumPatrem » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:59 pm

The new WME release today has added the ability, at long last, to see HNs during normal editing, similarly to this script's "HN NavPoints Numbers" layer. In addition, it allows direct access to entering HN mode right from the HN via an edit icon that comes up when you mouseover an HN.

That said, this new feature of native WME does NOT show attachment points from standard editing mode, you still have to go into HN mode to see them.

It *appears* (fingers crossed) that barring a surprise rollback or other broken thing not yet found, that support for the "HN NavPoints Numbers" layer will no longer be required, but this script still provides the enormously helpful feature of showing us attachment points during normal editing, which WME does not.

I don't know if the original author (MajkiiTelini) made this in response to my 2017 request post asking for this function or not (and that post was met with heavy doubt about the viability of such a thing), but I sure was happy when it came to be a year or so later! But best of all is when HQ acknowledges the benefits of a script-added function and is able to bake it into WME. Now maybe if they could take some cues from FixUI next....
The Grumpy Dad
SeveriorumPatrem
State Manager
State Manager

Postby SeveriorumPatrem » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:07 pm

MajkiiTelini wrote:
SeveriorumPatrem wrote:I don't know if the original author (MajkiiTelini) made this in response to my 2017 request post asking for this function or not

Not.

Aha that's right, thanks for refreshing my memory! :lol: 8-)
The Grumpy Dad
SeveriorumPatrem
State Manager
State Manager

Postby SeveriorumPatrem » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:22 pm

I spoke too soon about WME now showing HN numbers and the script not necessarily needing to keep that function. Native WME only shows HNs at Zoom 7 or closer, whereas the script version keeps showing them out to Zoom 5, which I appreciate very much.
The Grumpy Dad
SeveriorumPatrem
State Manager
State Manager

Postby SeveriorumPatrem » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:59 pm

Feature request: A force refresh button to reload HN NavPoint data. Is that possible? Specifically, to clear up phantom attachment lines after HNs have been moved/deleted. Would eliminate the need to do a hard browser refresh in the middle of a job like this when it gets too cluttered.
Attachments
Picture4.gif
(154 KiB) Downloaded 171 times
Picture3.gif
(112.98 KiB) Downloaded 172 times
Picture2.gif
(168.73 KiB) Downloaded 173 times
The Grumpy Dad
SeveriorumPatrem
State Manager
State Manager

Postby SeveriorumPatrem » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:27 pm

dBsooner wrote:If you can show me how to get these lines to show up like that from the latest version of HN NavPoints (released today), I'd be happy to try to debug it. As it SHOULD be removing all lines and re-adding them after changes are made.

This issue exists for me 100% of the time, so other than just doing routine HN work, not sure how to show you, there's no special process to follow that I'm aware of. I'm off the map until Tuesday, so I'll try out the new release then. Thanks!
The Grumpy Dad
SeveriorumPatrem
State Manager
State Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Addons, Extensions, and Scripts