Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.
Post by SuperDave1426
SuperDave1426 wrote:Sorry if this has already been asked, but any chance of getting a custom marker for map comments? I am really glad that they've finally given us that (and I assume that we're going to keep using things like "[CONSTRUCTION]", etc., at the beginning so that URO+ can flag them differently), but the little orange dot doesn't tell you a lot about what the MC is there for, and hovering over it doesn't pop up any info yet (yes, I know that's something in general that's being worked on :)). So having URO+ do it's magic with the new markers would be really useful.
Twister-UK wrote:Yes, it's definitely on my to-do list, and provided we continue using the same [...] tags in the map comment text somewhere then I'm hoping it'll be a moderately easy thing to achieve.
BTW, I've noticed that existing URs with [...] tags are not getting custom markers currently. I looked back a couple of pages but didn't see anything mentioning this. Is this something that you're aware of (and hopefully working on :D)?
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by SuperDave1426
I see mention of Map Comments popups here, but haven't had a chance to check - have you been able to do the custom marker based on things like [NOTE], etc.?
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by SuperDave1426
Twister-UK wrote:...oh yes, now I remember. Custom UR/MP markers are back. Enjoy ;)
What about Map Comments so tagged? Are those working yet, or is there Stuff To Be Worked Out? :)
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by SuperDave1426
Twister-UK wrote:
SuperDave1426 wrote: What about Map Comments so tagged? Are those working yet, or is there Stuff To Be Worked Out? :)
That's still on the to-do list - this release was just to reintroduce the functionality that got lost last year.
Ok, cool. Thanks. :)
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by SuperDave1426
I certainly don't want the URO+ thread to turn into a copyright debate thread, but hasn't this particular issue already been discussed in the past? I thought the consensus was that taking a bit of text from the website of a business that the place represents to put in the description was ok. It should fall under "Fair Use" provisions of the copyright act (at least in the USA), and besides, what business owner is going to complain, let alone file a lawsuit, because someone used their own blurb to describe them?
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by SuperDave1426
Just wondering... any word yet on adding the ability for URO+ to show unique icons for Map Comments with [NOTE], [CONSTRUCTION], etc., markers? :D
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by SuperDave1426
Twister-UK wrote:OK, so it might not be custom markers (which I no longer think can be made to work neatly on the map comments layer given how different visually MCs are to URs and MPs), but I've finally added in some filtering options which will at least help with the process of identifying/ignoring custom tagged comments.
Um... I mean no disrespect here, but I'm kinda failing to see how that will be helpful when scanning around the map. Seeing an icon that shows a construction marker or note or whatever was what made that feature actually helpful (to me, anyway) when panning around. I'm not looking to filter them out, I want to be able to tell at a glance what kind of marker it is. Maybe I'm missing something here by what you mean by filtering options...?
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by SuperDave1426
Thanks for the reply, and I hear what you're saying about the difficulty and I appreciate the explanation.

But unfortunately, that's not how I use it or what I need. I'm almost NEVER specifically looking for a given type of MC (or tagged UR back in the day). When I'm scanning an area, when we were using tagged URs, the icon told me what it was by looking at the graphic. Then if I wanted to further examine it, I could hover or select, etc., to get more info. A filter that I manually have to select in order to just specifically locate a particular kind of MC is not going to be used. At least not by me. :-)

When I'm scanning through an area, I'm just looking for things that catch my eye. I'm never looking JUST for construction markers or JUST notes or JUST closures, etc.

MC Areas are fairly easy to spot, since they're.. well.. areas. :-) A MC Point, on the other hand, is really easy to miss because instead of a nice big icon like we get with URs, it's a little white dot. MCs aren't URs, so they're not going to be confused with "regular" URs like they used to be. Now that Waze has given us a method of creating comments on the map, we don't have to rely on tagging URs for an addon to change the icon for us any more. Areas stand out more, true, but there are times where it really is more appropriate to use a Point. Perhaps you could come up with something that would do a custom icon to replace the little white MC Place dot? Or maybe set it up so that various [MARKER] types cause either a Point or Area to be changed to a particular color? I dunno, I'm just throwing these out as ideas/possible suggestions. But a filter that has to be set manually to remove or show a particular tag type - that's more trouble to use than it's worth. At least for me, anyway. :-)

Please don't take this the wrong way - I'm just trying to explain why I don't think the manually-set-for-a-specific-type-of-tag filter is going to be as useful, over all, as something which makes the individual types "pop" while simply surveying the screen visually.

Thanks.
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by SuperDave1426
So, any chance that Map Comments with [NOTE] tags, etc., will finally get a unique type of icon on the screen like for the old UR styles? :D
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by SuperDave1426
Also, I've noticed today that even though I've got both options checked for hiding MPs of the parking lot variety, the map is still showing them. Was there a WME release that broke that feature?
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message