[Script] WME Junction Node Fixer v0.2.1 2017-08-16

Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Forum rules
Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

DO NOT START a new thread unless it is about a new idea. Keep discussion of existing tools within the main thread for that tool.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Re: [Script] WME Junction Node Fixer v0.0.8.2 2014-01-29

Postby doctorkb » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:15 pm

Arnoniem wrote:
imran222120 wrote:arno use tampermonkey to host the script

I did, and I don't like it. And that's a work-around, not a solution. ;)

Alternatively, a person could just tell you to use Firefox. Which "work around" would you prefer?

Personally, I wish URO+ and WMET could get along in TamperMonkey... much easier to have everything in one place and TM is better than the extensions area in Chrome.
doctorkb
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby doctorkb » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:21 pm

Can I suggest that lower ranking be split before longer?

If the short segment is a parking lot, it should still be the one to get a penalty over a street...
doctorkb
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby doctorkb » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:08 pm

bgodette wrote:
doctorkb wrote:Can I suggest that lower ranking be split before longer?

If the short segment is a parking lot, it should still be the one to get a penalty over a street...
FYI all this connected to same node fix does is deal with a display problem in WME when drawing the route proposed by Waze. There is no actual issue being fixed by this in terms of end-user experience or routing.

Ok -- but making the change (i.e. putting that node in there) can introduce a few things:
1. if it's on a corner (a likely place for a geometry node, where the junction would be created), there could suddenly be a "turn left" or "turn right" instruction when before there was none.

2. there will be an additional penalty introduced (at least until the routing engine gets better knowledge of traffic)

So does it not make sense to penalize the lower-classed street first?
doctorkb
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby doctorkb » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:38 pm

bgodette wrote:There are no instructions when there are no alternatives. That's in the Wiki btw.

I *know* I have received instructions when the street names are different, even when there's no alternative.

That said, I understand that we're talking about the same street names -- that's not to say that one won't get edited at some point and the other not, resulting in different ones by accident.

I'm still not clear why this is an argument -- if you have a highway that takes a nice gentle curve, and a street that cuts it off, why should we be putting the extra node into the highway?

Nodes *do* reduce the traffic display and reporting (i.e. if you report heavy traffic, it is only for the node you're on... too many nodes and the "heavy traffic" looks to be a very short span, when in fact, it can be long).
doctorkb
Coordinators
Coordinators

Re: [Script] WME Junction Node Fixer v0.0.9.0 2014-08-18

Postby doctorkb » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:44 pm

Timbones wrote:Could you make it DISable dead-end U-turns in the UK? We have asked Waze to disable all of them for us. Thanks.

And if we're going to get on this -- Canada, too?
doctorkb
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby doctorkb » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:45 pm

We've had really bad experiences with routing -- basically, when Waze wants to have a user turn around, with these dead-end segments having u-turns enabled, the user would be directed to turn down the street, turn around at the end, then go back the way they came.

Until Waze will respect a u-turn at any intersection (i.e. not just dead ends), it causes user complaints to have any of them turned on.
doctorkb
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby doctorkb » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:19 pm

*shrug* - our standard has been to disable all u-turns, since none of them were enabled correctly to start with.

Having a tool that automatically "fixes" these against the published standard (yes, our wiki page says: "restrict all u-turns in Canada unless there is a sign outright permitting them") is not cool.
doctorkb
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby doctorkb » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:00 pm

As a third option, you could just remove the functionality, as it's clearly a problem with some locales (not sure the UK's issue, but may be different)... and as you mention "simply wait until dead-end end nodes are removed from the model and are treated as always enabled by routing".
doctorkb
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby doctorkb » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:27 pm

Of course, a reference to the "Waze claims it isn't and testing confirms that it isn't" may also be suitable to have us revise our practice and documentation...

Until then, this new version of JNF is not approved for use in Canada, as it is not in agreement with our local documentation. The previous version still works fine and is approved for use.
doctorkb
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby doctorkb » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:52 pm

request of Waze staff

A source citation would be appreciated. I've not seen this request in my travels.

I've been disabling these u-turns manually, then with the use of JNF (clicking on the endnode, then hitting 'q'), then finally with the use of Toolbox. Unless you actually selected the end node, JNF did nothing to them, in my experience -- which sounds to be a change in behaviour now.

I'm sorry... but your "because I said so" doesn't hold much water -- unless you can reference some thread that has extensive testing and/or a semi-public (e.g. GC forum) or public request from staff, I'm sticking to my guns.
doctorkb
Coordinators
Coordinators

PreviousNext

Return to Addons, Extensions, and Scripts