[Script] WME Junction Node Fixer v0.1.2 2016-04-27

Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Moderator: Unholy

Forum rules
Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

DO NOT START a new thread unless it is about a new idea. Keep discussion of existing tools within the main thread for that tool.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Re: [Script] WME Junction Node Fixer v0.0.8.2 2014-01-29

Postby Jay91150 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:23 pm

Brilliant, thanks :)

For ditchi56 - as for which one to break up, I'd suggest the longest one, and if they are of exactly the same length, the tie-breaker could be either one (pick the lower-numbered, or higher-numbered, and do that one consistently).
Jay91150
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby berestovskyy » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:44 pm

IMO we should split the segment with the lower road type (i.e. parking lot rather than highway), or the longer one, or the segment with the higher ID. That is the tie-breaker I'm using in Validator...
berestovskyy
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Jay91150 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:48 pm

It hadn't occurred to me that some of these would have differing road types, thanks for pointing that out. Overwhelmingly the ones I'm having to deal with are roads which are essentially large square loops. Here's an example.
Jay91150
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby bgodette » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:12 pm

berestovskyy wrote:IMO we should split the segment with the lower road type (i.e. parking lot rather than highway), or the longer one, or the segment with the higher ID. That is the tie-breaker I'm using in Validator...
Split the longer of the two, else split the lower ranking Type, else split the youngest segment, else split one-way vs two-way, else split the highest segment id (it was created/imported later).

The first rule should almost always match except for special stacking hacks to make right+left turn restricted (and the mirror for rhd countries). The common match will always have a geometry point to split on, the uncommon will have to split on 1/2 total length if there are no intermediate geometry points.
ImageImage
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby doctorkb » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:21 pm

Can I suggest that lower ranking be split before longer?

If the short segment is a parking lot, it should still be the one to get a penalty over a street...
Waze Global Champ, Mentor, WME Toolbox Project Manager
Country Manager: Canada
Area Manager: Edmonton, AB; Prince George, BC; Maui, HI; Georgetown, KY and various places in between
ImageImageImage
doctorkb
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby bgodette » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:53 pm

doctorkb wrote:Can I suggest that lower ranking be split before longer?

If the short segment is a parking lot, it should still be the one to get a penalty over a street...
FYI all this connected to same node fix does is deal with a display problem in WME when drawing the route proposed by Waze. There is no actual issue being fixed by this in terms of end-user experience or routing.
ImageImage
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby doctorkb » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:08 pm

bgodette wrote:
doctorkb wrote:Can I suggest that lower ranking be split before longer?

FYI all this connected to same node fix does is deal with a display problem in WME when drawing the route proposed by Waze. There is no actual issue being fixed by this in terms of end-user experience or routing.

Ok -- but making the change (i.e. putting that node in there) can introduce a few things:
1. if it's on a corner (a likely place for a geometry node, where the junction would be created), there could suddenly be a "turn left" or "turn right" instruction when before there was none.

2. there will be an additional penalty introduced (at least until the routing engine gets better knowledge of traffic)

So does it not make sense to penalize the lower-classed street first?
Waze Global Champ, Mentor, WME Toolbox Project Manager
Country Manager: Canada
Area Manager: Edmonton, AB; Prince George, BC; Maui, HI; Georgetown, KY and various places in between
ImageImageImage
doctorkb
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby CBenson » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:14 pm

While primarily a display issue, I believe there are some minor end-user experience/routing issues that are addressed as well. First, if the route begins or ends on a segment that connects with another segment at both ends, I think that sometimes the route is shown beginning or ending on the other segment. Second, if your route includes a segment that shares end nodes with another segment, if you deviate onto the other segment, it seems that waze does recalculate the route (admittedly not a significant problem as you end up at the same point anyway).

EDIT: I meant, waze does not recalculate the route.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.1.0.1
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:19 pm

doctorkb wrote:Ok -- but making the change (i.e. putting that node in there) can introduce a few things:
1. if it's on a corner (a likely place for a geometry node, where the junction would be created), there could suddenly be a "turn left" or "turn right" instruction when before there was none.

2. there will be an additional penalty introduced (at least until the routing engine gets better knowledge of traffic)

So does it not make sense to penalize the lower-classed street first?

I have never received a turn instruction at a point like this. Do you have a example of one that does, it would be interesting to determine when the instruction is given and when it is not.

Why will there be an additional penalty? Waze told us ages ago there was a penalty to pass every junction node, but later told us that if the node only connects two segments the penalty is "null."
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.1.0.1
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby bgodette » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:53 pm

doctorkb wrote:Ok -- but making the change (i.e. putting that node in there) can introduce a few things:
There are no instructions when there are no alternatives. That's in the Wiki btw.
doctorkb wrote:2. there will be an additional penalty introduced (at least until the routing engine gets better knowledge of traffic)
5s for 1-2 days from the first time someone transits the node, same as an edit delay.
ImageImage
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Addons, Extensions, and Scripts