[Script] WME Add-Ons V0.45 ==> Features moved in WME Toolbox

Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Forum rules
Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

DO NOT START a new thread unless it is about a new idea. Keep discussion of existing tools within the main thread for that tool.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Re: [Script] WME Add-Ons

Postby davipt » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:10 pm

iainhouse wrote:In principal, I think I'm in favour of this. I have seen large towns where all the segments (including the roundabouts) have the city name set but none of the segments have road names. To me, that suggests someone looking for the big-points edit without doing the hard work of naming the streets.

IMHO it's quite the opposite. I personally am too busy with too many more general things related to waze (CM, translations, beta, gas stations, etc.) to be able to manually add all street names of a city - there are plenty of editors and AM's willing to win those points - but as a CM it pisses me off the way the city areas are generated, specially when they can get so easily corrupted by having a single segment out of place.

So as a CM I tend to collect, while driving, the entry and exit points of a locality (the signs stating the locality name on the road) and then at home I create a landmark covering the locality at the exact point it starts and ends. And then I want to ensure all streets under that landmark are set to the same consistent name, or else I'd start multiple overlapping city areas, or getting city areas coming from other places and terminating there.

There are also cases of editors setting the city name into all roads from the bigger "region" (municipality?), which is wrong, and hence I'd need the script to set all those wrong segments to "no-city" to clear up the huge city-area.

here's an example of the big city area of Sintra, the region/municipality, covering a lot of cities around, when Sintra the city is just a small part of it.

here's another case of an editor that set manually all street names (which is great) but the city name to a wrong value. "Colares" is some km NE, and that area have two localities: "Azóia" which I created the landmark already, and the upper part is a different locality I can't recall now. I gave up updating it when I tried to do the mass set of the "Azóia" landmark and the script's save failed.

here's another case where some segments have the locality "Alhos Vedros", some have the locality plus municipality "Alhos Vedros, Moita", and on the side there is the real city "Moita".

And it gets even worse on Lisbon the capital, which like London and other major cities, can't be a single city area, but needs to be divided into several areas. Unfortunately there are a million different city string combinations over there, and hence a million different areas, not even counting when a city area coming from miles away in both directions covers the city and then the label pop up in the middle of the city. There was a city area triangle from a city south of the river to a point north of lisbon, so people were always complaining when seeing that city name label over lisbon. That's clean now, but you can see similar stuff at the east side of lisbon, those two huge lines from north to south.

Anyway, this all to say that failing because the no-street is a bad idea in my opinion, but I do see a point on having the script ensuring that roundabouts and freeways, at least, would be kept no-city (or not selected on the "select on landmark").

Maybe I should do my own script just to do this operation myself in a safe manner ;)

PS: as far as I know, albeit editors will probably win 1.5 points per segment, they will win only once per city or street name, so a mass set of the city name may give a lot of points because that's a lot of segments, but it's points well deserved if the city name is set correctly. Giving street names is more worth because one gets the 1.5 for the segment and the 6 points for the new street name.
Bruno D. Rodrigues | Global Champ | Coordinator and Manager for Portugal | Expert iPhone and others
Forum PT | Wiki PT | Facebook PT | Twitter PT
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:54 pm

gdu1971 wrote:Hello,
Normally the script works even for unnamed segments.
Just for test:
1) create some new segments and let them "red"
2) select them and script->properties
3) change city name only
4) save
=> works (for me)
IMO, It is more probably the payload (number of changes to send to the server) which lead in error.
Some users, during the test phase, reported me same problems and after another try having the correct behavior without any change.
I also have same problems sometimes with JNF and after 2 or 3 retries, it works...
Nevertheless, I will perform again some tests.

Nope, that is a different thing. If there are too many changes, there may be timeouts, "segment already changed", ghost segments, etc, but that's not the case here.

I've just tested a simpler version. Picked two segments, one with name one without. Properties->set name->save failed.

I'll say again, this is a bug introduced with the new editor and is happening with the original ext tools and this new tools, so to solve it one needs to understand what changed on the new editor.

Here's an example which you most probably can't edit but will show you the real case with two segments, one with and one without name link

Edit: definitively a case of empty name, I'll ping you directly.
Bruno D. Rodrigues | Global Champ | Coordinator and Manager for Portugal | Expert iPhone and others
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:45 pm

gdu1971 wrote:
gdu1971 wrote:I've just tested a simpler version. Picked two segments, one with name one without. Properties->set name->save failed.

And does this test works with the native editor in the same session when the error occurs with the script?

Sure, but if I use the editor, I kill the name of the segment with the name, or set the name to both. Give me a second.

Edit: you have PM with the failed post. It fails even with a single segment, as long as it has no name. Now while you look at it I'll investigate an editor request...

Edit2: updated with a working request. Maybe the fix is as simple as 'name:""' vs. 'name:null' ? :D
Last edited by davipt on Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:36 pm

gdu1971 wrote:
gdu1971 wrote:you're right , there is a problem sometimes with the zoom factor of the navigator.
I know where is the problem, I'll try to fix it.

I've got a test release for firefox which should fix zoom problems.
If someone who have the problem accept to test it, I'll give you a link (send PM)

He also fixed the no-name bug weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! great job! I've been waiting for this fix since the new editor!
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:07 pm

rottielover wrote:
TonyG-UK wrote:
rottielover wrote:Is there anyway to select all "unknown" direction segments using this tool?

I'm working in a lot of area's that are still basemapped. A quick way to select all the unknown directions and set them to two way would be a god send!

Do none of them have road names?

It's a mix. Typically what I see with this small towns are named streets with unknown direction. (...)

Another issue with these basemapped towns is having a lot of one-way's that should be two way (like dead end roads or cul-da-sac's etc). (...)

Please. Do. Not. Do. That!

Setting all roads to two-ways is a no-no according to the waze wiki. If the road is direction unknown or one-way, waze will learn the right way when people drive there. If you manually set the road to two-way, one-way roads will become two-way and people will be directed there against traffic.

Now about the dead end roads it would indeed be nice to have waze automatically set them to two-ways and add the node at the end, instead of the effort editors need to do to fix them up and specially when it requires extra scripts to detect and fix them.
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:24 pm

rottielover wrote:
davipt wrote:Please. Do. Not. Do. That!

Setting all roads to two-ways is a no-no according to the waze wiki. If the road is direction unknown or one-way, waze will learn the right way when people drive there. If you manually set the road to two-way, one-way roads will become two-way and people will be directed there against traffic.

Now about the dead end roads it would indeed be nice to have waze automatically set them to two-ways and add the node at the end, instead of the effort editors need to do to fix them up and specially when it requires extra scripts to detect and fix them.

Whoa, slow down there. 1st, I'm talking about an area I have first hand knowledge of, there are NO one way streets in these towns. 2nd, we're talking about basemapped areas, a good number of the streets are in the wrong locations, etc, because this data was imported. These small towns take me forever to clean up.

If the street is set to a one way, even though it's two way, won't that generate an auto pin? If unknown waze would eventually learn, but if I have the knowledge why not put it on the map now and make wazing easier for the clients?

As TonyG-UK said, it has always been possible to do what you want, if you know where to look and what exactly you are doing. I'm sure you know what you are doing, but I surely don't want these kind of features to be too easy for anyone to use them and screw things up. Also because I have a city center where someone decided to make everything two-way when the streets are all one-way and can't even fit a car if another one is parked :D
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:33 pm

TonyG-UK wrote:
davipt wrote:Setting all roads to two-ways is a no-no according to the waze wiki. If the road is direction unknown or one-way, waze will learn the right way when people drive there. If you manually set the road to two-way, one-way roads will become two-way and people will be directed there against traffic.

Ah.... that old fallacy.

BTW, where in the wiki does it say that?

What do you mean fallacy? No of course I can't find the exact sentence on the wiki, or the forum, but isn't it well known that streets do change from unknown to one-way and to two-way, but will never ever be able to learn and switch back from two-way to one-way? Also routes will prefer segments manually set to two-way over segments marked as unknown?
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:42 pm

rottielover wrote:http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Automatic_map_updates_and_the_locking_of_roads

Which advises, in part: "...It will change the directionality of a road, enable turns, and reportedly it will change the geometry or layout of a road.
This can cause map errors, especially in areas where there are few wazers. One wazer who always travels one way down a road may change a correctly recorded two-way road into one-way."

I was once curious about this one so we have setup a certain remote and not used one-way segment as two-way and have, two guys, driven there every day for some weeks to test it. It never changed to one-way. It may apply if the road becomes automatically two-ways because of people driving both ways, and later become one-way if people starts driving only one way, but after setting it manually to two ways it never changed. And obviously it wasn't locked.

Anyway we're not arguing against each other here, if we are all in this thread we all surely know the power of this script and the amazing help it provides, as well as dangerous damages it can potentially do. And I see no issues for a entire small town to be set as two-ways (even all directions), and I have plenty of cases like those, but personally I do prefer people to drive there and have waze automatically learn the directions and the position of the road. Mostly because of lazyness and having other more important fixes to do ;)
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:49 pm

TonyG-UK wrote:If you have local knowledge and know all the streets are two-way, then it's better to set them all to two-way, as that is what they should be. As long as you then take the time to add all the other data - road names, turn restrictions, etc.

Sure. The script does this and much more. The one I like the most is to select all segments without an average speed to identify areas where people never passed by (or just half a dozen passages), or then filter by each speed and see areas where people surely cross the limits. o.O
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:55 pm

TonyG-UK wrote:
davipt wrote:What do you mean fallacy? No of course I can't find the exact sentence on the wiki,

Then you shouldn't say the Wiki says so, cause it probably doesn't.

It's hard to search stuff on the wiki and forum. I do remember my discovery started with this post, but can't recall where I jumped from there on.
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Addons, Extensions, and Scripts