[Script] WME Color Highlights - 1.81 Mar 2014

Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Forum rules
Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

DO NOT START a new thread unless it is about a new idea. Keep discussion of existing tools within the main thread for that tool.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Re: [Script] Colour Highlights for Segments - v1.6.2 Apr 201

Postby sketch » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:15 pm

Sure, that's fair. My point is that if Waze doesn't think it's even worth showing in the editor anymore...
iphone 5 • ios 7.1 • waze 3.7.9.914 • mac os 10.9.2
new orleans based • detroit enthusiast • usa country manager
2013 ford focus titanium hatchback 5mt • performance blue
Image Image
sketch
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Re: [Script] Colour Highlights for Segments - v1.6.7 Jul 201

Postby sketch » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:19 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like the script calls it a U turn when it's actually possible (i.e., self-con on a two-way segment) and "Self-connectivity" if it's impossible (i.e., self-con on a one-way segment).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Image Image
sketch
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Re: [Script] Colour Highlights for Segments - v1.6.7 Jul 201

Postby sketch » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:44 pm

iainhouse wrote:A selfcon is an allowed turn at the end of a segment back onto the same segment - and it doesn't matter whether or not the segment is one way.

A revconn is an allowed turn from one segment to a second one-way segment, where that turn violates the direction of the second segment.

Right, but that's not the distinction I was making. "Self-con" is only intrinsically a problem when it is on a one-way segment, since that's impossible. U-turns, which are a type of self-con (i.e., self-con on a two-way segment), are not intrinsically a problem, since they are possible, even if they are often not allowed.

A "true" self-con, or one-way self-con, is essentially the same problem as a rev-con, namely, that Waze has an allowed connection in a place where it is physically impossible due to one-way segments. A U turn, or two-way self-con, is essentially the same problem as an improperly-allowed turn restriction -- both are often set by people driving in ways they shouldn't, for example. It's still worth indicating U turns, since their arrows are not always visible, but it's still not as big a problem as true self-con, since there will be instances when it is properly allowed.

IIRC -- I can't check right now -- the color highlights script shows only true self-con as "self connectivity" (purple), and shows two-way self-con as "U turns" separately (teal).
Image Image
sketch
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Re: [Script] Colour Highlights for Segments - 1.7.4 Nov 2013

Postby sketch » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:13 pm

I've also heard "10m" mentioned for U turn prevention. So that could be it.
Image Image
sketch
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby sketch » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:33 am

slandrum wrote:With the 11m segment allowing the U-turn, there may be some geometry issues. There may be no "straight" path out of the short segment, in which case any path out of it can be used for routing.

So U turns will only be prevented where the segment is also useful as a left turn? That's interesting. I wasn't aware of the specific mechanics of the function. I like that.
Image Image
sketch
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby sketch » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:07 pm

qwaletee wrote:3) Could we get an option to have "no name highlighting" only apply to specific road types? It is typical for parking lot roads, private roads, and often ramps and service roads to not have a name, and the highlighting only makes it busy. Usually, I want it for regular roads -- streets, primary streets, minor highways, major highways, and freeways. Sometimes ramps and service roads.

Private roads do often have names, though.

I do think it'd be a good idea to exclude the "no name" highlight from parking lot roads, and perhaps also to include a highlight for named parking lot roads.

The ramp highlight is useful for determining whether some ramp segments are perhaps unnecessarily named. I could see it being desirable to be able to turn the no-name highlight off for ramp segments temporarily, but having it off for ramps and on for at-grade connectors (not something you can program around) seems like it'd be an inconsistent experience.
Image Image
sketch
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby sketch » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:42 pm

orbitc wrote:
sketch wrote:I do think it'd be a good idea to exclude the "no name" highlight from parking lot roads, and perhaps also to include a highlight for named parking lot roads.

The ramp highlight is useful for determining whether some ramp segments are perhaps unnecessarily named. I could see it being desirable to be able to turn the no-name highlight off for ramp segments temporarily, but having it off for ramps and on for at-grade connectors (not something you can program around) seems like it'd be an inconsistent experience.

Cannot we achieve that using toolbox's sort option?

Which do you mean? Removing names from parking lot roads is easy to achieve with Toolbox, yes, so the separate highlight for named parking lot roads isn't necessary. With ramps, it's specific ramps that do and don't need names, so you need the visual.

The benefit of not highlighting parking lot roads is removing clutter, which doesn't affect and isn't affected by Toolbox.
Image Image
sketch
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Re: [Script] WME Color Highlights - 1.81 Mar 2014

Postby sketch » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:55 pm

Seems to be the same thing. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the soft turns/revcon/selfcon function in WMECH limited to rank 3 and above?
Image Image
sketch
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby slandrum » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:47 am

I've had to widen a number of intersection segments to 15m to allow U-turns, and shorten some to 14m to disallow U-turns. 15m has definitely been the cutoff for me based on direct experience with making the changes and testing the results after a tile update.

The editor rounds the numbers, so when it says a segment is 15m it may actually be slightly less, and will actually prevent U-turn. If you want to be absolutely sure, make the segment 16m or more to allow, and 14m or less to prevent.

With the 11m segment allowing the U-turn, there may be some geometry issues. There may be no "straight" path out of the short segment, in which case any path out of it can be used for routing.
Orange County, CA, USA, Samsung Galaxy S3, Android 4.3 Image
slandrum

Re: [Script] Colour Highlights for Segments - v1.6.2 Apr 201

Postby spcarrozzo » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:37 am

Is it possible to add state support for Argentina (countryID = 10)?

I've tested the change in my PC and is working. Just changed:

Code: Select all
    if (countryID == 235 || countryID == 40) {

with

Code: Select all
    if (countryID == 235 || countryID == 40 || countryID == 10) {

Line 1019 of wme-highlights.user.js.

(tested using version 1.6.4 crx)

Regards...
spcarrozzo
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor