Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.
Post by skbun
CrackedLCD wrote:
ncc1701v wrote:FYI moving from Chrome Beta to Chrome brought me back functionality of Colour Highlights and JNF but not URL Overview. Still delving.
I'm pretty sure this has something to do with the bootstrapping functions that most of the Javascript scripts are using to initalize. My rationale for this is that I've done a side by side comparison of running highlights-1.6.3 in Chrome prod and beta, and what I find is that it shows the sources of the two as fundamentally different in the sources tab.

Prod:

Code: Select all

(function (unsafeWindow) {
---The entire contents of the highlighter script here---
})(window);
Beta:

Code: Select all

---The entire contents of the highlighter script here---
I think Chrome Beta and Canary somehow does not like the bootstrapper function, as written currently. I can also note that after loading WME (in a state where highlights-1.6.3 is not in the extensions tab at all), I can paste the entire contents of the script into the console, and it suddenly works fine -- until I reload or otherwise leave the page.
skbun
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/2/2a/W ... 00k_5c.png

AM in SW Shasta, NW Tehama, Central Trinity Counties, CA; Mt Rainier Nat'l Park, WA

Post by sketch
Is routing still broken for segments ≤15 m long? If so, it'd be nice to have a highlight for segments equal to or less than 15 m in length.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
sketch wrote:Is routing still broken for segments ≤15 m long? If so, it'd be nice to have a highlight for segments equal to or less than 15 m in length.
Is that different than the feature which disallows routing on short segments (10m) to prevent u-turns?
I suppose not. I didn't realize it was a "feature". I'm sure that's nice elsewhere, but in New Orleans, U turns are a necessary part of driving—we have a lot of Michigan lefts here, whether or not anyone actually calls them for what they are.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Since the "average" speed data shown in the editor has no relation to the time-of-day-based routing which Waze actually uses, I'm not convinced of the usefulness of the data.
That's previously shown in the editor. I haven't seen it in a month or so.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Sure, that's fair. My point is that if Waze doesn't think it's even worth showing in the editor anymore...
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like the script calls it a U turn when it's actually possible (i.e., self-con on a two-way segment) and "Self-connectivity" if it's impossible (i.e., self-con on a one-way segment).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
iainhouse wrote:A selfcon is an allowed turn at the end of a segment back onto the same segment - and it doesn't matter whether or not the segment is one way.

A revconn is an allowed turn from one segment to a second one-way segment, where that turn violates the direction of the second segment.
Right, but that's not the distinction I was making. "Self-con" is only intrinsically a problem when it is on a one-way segment, since that's impossible. U-turns, which are a type of self-con (i.e., self-con on a two-way segment), are not intrinsically a problem, since they are possible, even if they are often not allowed.

A "true" self-con, or one-way self-con, is essentially the same problem as a rev-con, namely, that Waze has an allowed connection in a place where it is physically impossible due to one-way segments. A U turn, or two-way self-con, is essentially the same problem as an improperly-allowed turn restriction -- both are often set by people driving in ways they shouldn't, for example. It's still worth indicating U turns, since their arrows are not always visible, but it's still not as big a problem as true self-con, since there will be instances when it is properly allowed.

IIRC -- I can't check right now -- the color highlights script shows only true self-con as "self connectivity" (purple), and shows two-way self-con as "U turns" separately (teal).
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
I've also heard "10m" mentioned for U turn prevention. So that could be it.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
slandrum wrote:With the 11m segment allowing the U-turn, there may be some geometry issues. There may be no "straight" path out of the short segment, in which case any path out of it can be used for routing.
So U turns will only be prevented where the segment is also useful as a left turn? That's interesting. I wasn't aware of the specific mechanics of the function. I like that.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
qwaletee wrote:3) Could we get an option to have "no name highlighting" only apply to specific road types? It is typical for parking lot roads, private roads, and often ramps and service roads to not have a name, and the highlighting only makes it busy. Usually, I want it for regular roads -- streets, primary streets, minor highways, major highways, and freeways. Sometimes ramps and service roads.
Private roads do often have names, though.

I do think it'd be a good idea to exclude the "no name" highlight from parking lot roads, and perhaps also to include a highlight for named parking lot roads.

The ramp highlight is useful for determining whether some ramp segments are perhaps unnecessarily named. I could see it being desirable to be able to turn the no-name highlight off for ramp segments temporarily, but having it off for ramps and on for at-grade connectors (not something you can program around) seems like it'd be an inconsistent experience.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message