[Script] WME Toolbox

Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Forum rules
Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

DO NOT START a new thread unless it is about a new idea. Keep discussion of existing tools within the main thread for that tool.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Re: convert geometry point to junction

Postby dbraughlr » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:26 pm

bz2012 wrote:
fvwazing wrote:This would make it way too easy to create two-segment-junctions. These should be exceptions!


I don't think it is good to 'make things deliberately difficult'. If a feature should only be available to upper level editors, that is the way it should be done.


The idea is to make it as easy as possible. The objection is incorrect. I do not understand why someone would say that such is an exception. A hundred times a day I use the workaround of creating an unneeded road then deleting it. There is no basis to restrict such a feature.
dbraughlr
 
Posts: 569
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:24 am
Has thanked: 164 times
Been thanked: 98 times

Re: [Script] WME Toolbox

Postby no1ne » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:30 pm

we should not have to split segment so often
If some actually do so, it's because of a routine engine malfunction


Via Tapatalk
Localize Waze

Vous voulez adaptez Waze dans une langue non supportée contactez moi
no1ne
Global Champs Localizers
Global Champs Localizers
 
Posts: 4398
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:15 pm
Location: An Oriant, Breizh , France
Has thanked: 528 times
Been thanked: 459 times

Re: [Script] WME Toolbox

Postby Timbones » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:39 pm

dbraughlr wrote:A hundred times a day I use the workaround of creating an unneeded road then deleting it. There is no basis to restrict such a feature.

Me too. So many times a segment needs to be split in two because it is actually 2 differently named roads (often on a corner). Perfectly valid use case, and I'm sure there are others such as city boundaries, road types, etc.
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Global Wiki Moderator • Routing Expert
Extensions: WME Colour HighlightsWME Route TesterWME Geometries
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
 
Posts: 6585
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:33 am
Location: York, UK
Has thanked: 915 times
Been thanked: 2501 times

Re: [Script] WME Toolbox

Postby dbraughlr » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:18 pm

arbaot wrote:we should not have to split segment so often
If some actually do so, it's because of a routine engine malfunction

No, accommodating the malfunction is only a fraction of the places where I need to form a junction.
Here in the USA, we are still building new cities. When laying down roads in a new development, the fastest way is to lay out the entire grid; then form all the junctions. Any other way is simply a waste of time. We don't have enough editors to be able to afford to waste time. It's a huge country.
dbraughlr
 
Posts: 569
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:24 am
Has thanked: 164 times
Been thanked: 98 times

Re: [Script] WME Toolbox

Postby enhket » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:11 pm

That is a good idea, but Damien should consider "flagging" the username of the person who used it for X segment. For example, it could associate your username with a segment id and flag you for that segment, so you cant suppress the unneeded junctions. It would be super easy to create junctions and then use the "suppress" feature.

Either that or there could be a limit: 50-100 junctions a day? I dont think you will be forced to do more than that.

petervdveen wrote:I would love to have champs-only features in the editor, but it doesn't seem we are going to get that ever.


I would go for rank-only features. So there is a reason to be level 5-6 other than locking/unlocking.
Image
Christopher C. Enhket
Languages: Español, English, Français, Português.
Coordinator, Beta editor/Editing expert, Campeón.
Communities established: 8
enhket
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
 
Posts: 3714
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Spain
Has thanked: 1013 times
Been thanked: 2098 times

Re: [Script] WME Toolbox

Postby bz2012 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:48 pm

Inserting a node should (and I think WOULD be) less points than the current way of inserting a node by creating a segment to use as a 'tool' to insert the node, and then deleting the segment.

If someone wanted to abuse the function, they could just as easily use the 'temporary segment' as a tool to create multiple nodes.

I am not concerned about the points, I just want to fix problems with the maps.
State Manager, Louisiana
bz2012
Map Raider
Map Raider
 
Posts: 1421
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:32 pm
Location: Baton Rouge, La
Has thanked: 952 times
Been thanked: 259 times

Re: [Script] WME Toolbox

Postby enhket » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:58 pm

If i am not wrong, what was suggested before was creating a junction while you press a key (wherever a segment gets "hovered"). If you create 30 junctions, save, suppress the nodes and save, that is faster than using a temporary segment.

bz2012 wrote:I am not concerned about the points, I just want to fix problems with the maps.


The tools used to fix the map, can also be used to destroy it. Dont forget it.

There shouldn't be a reason to disapprove a restriction to that new feature.
Image
Christopher C. Enhket
Languages: Español, English, Français, Português.
Coordinator, Beta editor/Editing expert, Campeón.
Communities established: 8
enhket
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
 
Posts: 3714
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Spain
Has thanked: 1013 times
Been thanked: 2098 times

Re: Tool to create a junction

Postby dbraughlr » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:10 am

enhket wrote:... Damien should consider "flagging" the username of the person who used it for X segment. For example, it could associate your username with a segment id and flag you for that segment, so you cant suppress the unneeded junctions. It would be super easy to create junctions and then use the "suppress" feature.

Either that or there could be a limit: 50-100 junctions a day? I dont think you will be forced to do more than that.

I would go for rank-only features. So there is a reason to be level 5-6 other than locking/unlocking.

Preventing a person from removing an unneeded junction is a rule than does nothing but make it complicated.
You have no idea how many junctions I need a day. A 20 by 20 grid of streets needs around 400 junctions.

Why not limit new roads per day? Why not limit parking lot landmarks per day? Why not prevent deletion of streets, especially those attached to a locked road?
Why not limit total miles of incomplete roads? Why not limit q and w? Imo, editors does far more damage with these all things. I would rather sweep away unneeded junctions than unsplit a road or rebuild an interchange.

There is no reason to limit useful functionality to higher ranks. Forcing people to do stupid work to get to a higher rank is counterproductive.
We want new editors to learn to use the functionality before they are able to edit higher ranking roads. Misguided attempts to encourage editors to get a higher rank will not improve the quality of the work they do nor decrease the amount of damage they do in the rush to accumulate enough edits to get to the next rank.

enhket wrote:If i am not wrong

But you are. Creating 30 geometry points on a segment, then moving the mouse over each, pressing j and repeating 30 times, then clicking save, then suppressing unneeded junctions and clicking save again results in an easily-detected cheat on the backend server. But as was pointed out, it is easily done by taking a segment and connecting and disconnecting it from another segment 100 times. Your argument that the shortcut is faster, merely proves my point that we need the functionality.
dbraughlr
 
Posts: 569
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:24 am
Has thanked: 164 times
Been thanked: 98 times

Re: [Script] WME Toolbox

Postby dbraughlr » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:37 am

bz2012 wrote:Inserting a node should (and I think WOULD be) less points than the current way of inserting a node by creating a segment to use as a 'tool' to insert the node, and then deleting the segment.

I rarely ever save the the temporary road, so it does count now. How Waze counts edits and grants points is up to Waze. Someone can create hundreds of new roads, chop up an existing road, or whatever. Like you, I prefer to do useful work. But if it makes people happy that using j doesn't count as an edit, that is fine with me. Aligning a 5 miles of a winding rural minor highway counts as 1 edit the same as making a straight 5 m segment in a parking lot.
dbraughlr
 
Posts: 569
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:24 am
Has thanked: 164 times
Been thanked: 98 times

Re: Tool to create a junction

Postby enhket » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:13 am

dbraughl wrote:Your argument that the shortcut is faster, merely proves my point that we need the functionality.


I am not interested in proving you anything. However, in case i wasn't clear enough: I am not against the new feature, but I believe it should have some restrictions.
Image
Christopher C. Enhket
Languages: Español, English, Français, Português.
Coordinator, Beta editor/Editing expert, Campeón.
Communities established: 8
enhket
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
 
Posts: 3714
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Spain
Has thanked: 1013 times
Been thanked: 2098 times

PreviousNext

Return to Addons, Extensions, and Scripts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users