Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.
Post by SuperDave1426
Ok, I've got a question: Where exactly does the Toolbox save its settings? Once Google Map Maker became available, I gleefully added it (and a couple of other map options I wanted) via the settings button. I shut down my browser for the night, and then when I started it back up today and logged into Waze, the toolbar was back to default, with none of the extra maps buttons that I added yesterday present.

My browser is set to clear certain data upon closing, like cookies and so on. If it's being stored in a cookie, what's the domain that it is using (so I can add an exception)? Is it something else?
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by SuperDave1426
OyyoDams wrote:Settings are stored in local storage of the browser.
Sorry, but what exactly does that mean? I'm using Chrome; what should I look for to see if I can set an exception on clearing it? (If you happen to know.)
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by SuperDave1426
OyyoDams wrote:
SuperDave1426 wrote:
OyyoDams wrote:Settings are stored in local storage of the browser.
Sorry, but what exactly does that mean? I'm using Chrome; what should I look for to see if I can set an exception on clearing it? (If you happen to know.)
Google is your friend ;)
I've BEEN Googling. :-) All I keep coming up with is ways to pragmatically clear your local storage and whatever. Not quite what I'm looking for. :lol: :? I always thought that cookies were local storage, or via flash cookies. And is separate from the cache. I've tried looking through all the settings in Chrome and the only references I can find to local storage takes me right back into cookies. :shock:

Usually, my Google Fu is pretty strong. Clearly in this case, it has failed me. ;)

I'll keep looking, but a pointer would be nice.... :mrgreen:
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by SuperDave1426
Thanks, but I wasn't looking for the actual physical location on the hard drive. :-) Chrome uses that, and controls it. At least, if I understand the process correctly. :D

It would seem that Chrome is clearing the local storage when I close the browser, given that when I restart it my previous settings for what stuff shows up on the toolbar (and where I had dragged it to) is gone and I have to set it all over again the next time that I start it up and login to Waze.

That's that I'm looking for - how to control Chrome's actions WRT the local storage area.
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by SuperDave1426
orbitc wrote:This is where:
chrome://history/
Screen Shot 2014-01-22 at 8.08.50 PM.png
Yea, I've seen that display. It allows for manual clearing of whatever you've got checked there when you click on the "Clear browsing data" button. I've got nothing set anywhere else to clear the cache when the browser closes (I've got the Click & Clean extension installed, which can be set to clear a number of things upon browser closing as well as by clicking on various buttons there).

Local Storage is in a different directory from the Cache. That said, I've already checked there and I'm not set to clear the cache - only Cookies (with exceptions set for where I need the cookies preserved). I can't seem to find anything in settings called "Local Storage," let alone a checkbox for controlling the clearing of it.

I'm not running the browser in Incognito mode, either.

This is so weird.... :?:

EDIT: Well, since nothing else was working, I put in an exception in my "clear cookies when I close the browser" setting to allow it to keep cookies from *.waze.com.

Logged out, closed browser, restarted browser, logged back in.

The Toolbox settings stuck. So I guess it is tied to cookies. :D

Well, I'm glad that finally got worked out. :mrgreen:

Thanks for all the feedback!
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by SuperDave1426
Thortok2000 wrote:If you notice in the screenshot, the only way to delete 'other site and plug-in data' is to also delete cookies. And the only way to NOT delete 'other site and plug-in data' is to NOT delete cookies.

So somehow Chrome is throwing plugins in with cookies. Why I don't know. But that's probably why setting it for cookies also sets it for plug-ins. WME Toolbox is basically a plug-in.
Apparently. :-) Damnedest thing I've seen in a while. Part of what got me thinking about it was that when I would display cookie information for the domain, there'd be the usual entries you'd expect to see for a cookie reference, but there was also a "Local Storage" section as well. Clicking on that would only show how much space was being used - not anything pointing to the content (which was part of what made it hard to determine if it was the storage for the extension/plugin as it interacts with the Waze domain). So I took a blind shot, given that nothing else was working, and voila! It worked. Go figure.

Well, at least if someone else using Chrome is having problems like this in the future, we now know that we need to tell them to allow *.waze.com cookies to persist - if they're clearing cookies they need to except that domain from the cleaning.
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by SuperDave1426
OyyoDams wrote:1.3.7.1
Update: Embedded JNF (allowing Toolbox to work if JNF is NOT installed) updated - thanks to bgodette
So, this means we no longer need to have the .crx (Chrome) JNF installed?
New: Traffic locks layers
Yea, I saw the highlighting available now has "Level X Lock" and "Level X Traffic Lock." What exactly is the difference between the two?

Thanks for getting the update out! :-)
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by SuperDave1426
OyyoDams wrote:
SuperDave1426 wrote:So, this means we no longer need to have the .crx (Chrome) JNF installed?
Toolbox can work without JNF installed, but if you want to use JNF, you should install it.
As soon as the JNF .crx file that's linked to on the first message of this thread is updated to work with the new map editor level, I'll be sure to do that. :-)

(I though at one point you said you were going to move that to the Play Store so that updates can be automatic.... Did I misunderstand?)
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by SuperDave1426
sketch wrote:Traffic locks are something we're testing in the beta now. Toolbox should probably disable them for the production editor ;)
That still doesn't tell me what the difference is between a Lx Lock and a Lx Traffic Lock. :-)
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by SuperDave1426
Goodolsen wrote:JNF is updated already to v 0.0.8.2
Does the link pointing to it in the first message of this thread point to the correct version?

I just tried downloading it again and then dragged it into the Chrome extensions page (developer mode is on), and it still tells me that it's version 0.7.8.

What am I doing wrong?
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message