Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.
Post by txemt
Something I realize I'm missing, is the ability to pull up a list of all of the roads in the area of the map I'm in and make changes that way. It helps in rural areas of the states, especially when renaming county roads from "Co Rd" to "CR." It would also allow me to find a street in a large metropolitan area.

I've also realized I am having major issues with junctions since the WME toolbox was updated.
txemt
Send a message
Just wazeting my time to help you waze your route smoothly.

Post by txemt
doctorkb wrote:
txemt wrote:Something I realize I'm missing, is the ability to pull up a list of all of the roads in the area of the map I'm in and make changes that way. It helps in rural areas of the states, especially when renaming county roads from "Co Rd" to "CR." It would also allow me to find a street in a large metropolitan area.
It is there... I think it is the check mark icon.
Oh....nevermind then.
txemt
Send a message

Post by txemt
I'm not seeing anything below "Roundabouts which may cause an issue" when my web browser is at 100%.
txemt
Send a message

Post by txemt
Everytime you put out an update, I always have issues with the toolbox. For one, I don't use it a whole lot, but if I turn it off, I can never edit. I keep getting a "you must refresh toolbox in order to edit error message." Second, editing grinds to a very slow process. I went to fix a UR today that said a road is a dead end, so I pulled the road back from the road it's not supposed to be connected to, then hit SAVE. After the save, the road was still connected and now the editor isn't allowing me to do a whole lot. Third, said road disappears from the view after trying to edit. If I hit save, it will reappear, but reappear as in issue 2.
txemt
Send a message

Post by txemt
annickdw wrote:I'm still having the issue with the road layer when I try to zoom in or out... today i noticed it also happens with the gps tracks layer and the landmarks layer

using Chrome (and Toolbox) with Waze Chat option not opened (since a week, so since Chat function became available in wme, didn't had it in beta-editor, now I'm experiencing this in both editors)
That's not a toolbox issue. I've turned toolbox off and still have the same issues.
txemt
Send a message

Post by vectorspace
Is there any instance where this script has been known to alter the "Created:" editor? I think I have an example of that, but want to try to reproduce it in case it is some other issue, like my memory.

Edit:

I was able to reproduce this behavior in the Toolbox script. I need to work on it more, but it seems to occur when there is a red (no city/street) loop road that has a reverse connection, and would display the magenta triangle if that display is turned on. It has happened at a square loop and also on a roundabout. Once the fix button (level-6) is pressed, the loop part of the road has its "creator" changed to the current editor, but other attached roads do not change creator. My guess is that there is a slight bug in the script somewhere. I will try to reproduce on test roads I can get others to create.
vectorspace
Send a message
vectorspace

Post by vectorspace
I've been editing a number of things, at times trying to reproduce this bug, while simultaneously writing wiki pages, and in that mix have been able to reproduce a bug in the toolbox script and upset a local editor in the Baltimore/DC area for reasons unknown.

In any case, I got a hold of txemt and we did an experiment that reproduces this bug. Here are the steps to reproduce it. You will need two editors to do this.

(A) EDITOR #1
(1) draw a short segment of new road connected to an existing road. Do not alter direction or city name/road name. Leave it so it will be red.
(2) draw a roundabout at the end of the new segment of road so you have a lollipop shape. Do not alter the city name/road name so it will also be red.
(3) If you turn on the reverse connections highlighter in the toolbox menu, you should get a magenta triangle warning sign at the intersection of the new road segment.

(B)EDITOR #2, level-6
(1) Go to this region at a high enough zoom level that you can edit roads (100 m or less). See the new red road created above. Turn on the reverse connections highlighter so you can also see the magenta triangle.
(2) Click on each of the two items to verify that EDITOR #1 created both the road and the segment.
(3) Click on the Magenta Triangle button in the Toolbox, the one that fixes reverse connections, dead ends, and terminated roads. I assume you have to be level-6 to do this.
(4) Now click on each of the three segments that results, the original road and the two segments of the resulting roundabout that was split. The roundabout will now have a creator of EDITOR #2.

This also works with roads that are single-node loops that are not roundabouts. I don't know if it matters if you change these to regular roads with city names and they are not red. I didn't bother trying to see if it did the same thing.

I don't know if this is a bug or feature, but wanted to report it in case it was of value to the people maintaining the script!
vectorspace
Send a message
vectorspace

Post by vectorspace
iainhouse wrote:It's not a bug and the script isn't changing the creator. As you've probably experienced in the past, you can't simply add a node to these loops - WME throws an error. The script simply takes the simpler route of deleting and re-drawing them. If you check segment IDs, you'll see they change. ...
Thanks iainhouse... As I mentioned in my post, I can see that this might not be a bug, but the result of the approach of editing. Deleting and redrawing the road is understandable to avoid the error.

I also don't know the WME-database API limits with the home database and what can be changed. If it is possible to change the creator though, I think a superior solution would be to save the creator information, delete the road, and redraw with the original creator information. That is what the logical and expected answer would be for someone using the tool. If the database API rejects such change, then of course the existing approach is all that can be done.
vectorspace
Send a message
vectorspace

Post by vectorspace
iainhouse wrote:... If it was possible, the potential for mischief would be high. ...
Me thinks you have too much faith in the writers of code. ;) Have you not seen the recent near extinction of the Target stores in the USA due to hackers? I know that was a bit extreme of a statement, but such stores and banks consider extinction events like that one. The list is large and outside of credit fraud. Programmers tend to code within their box of what they need to do and don't often peer far outside of it.
vectorspace
Send a message
vectorspace

Post by vectorspace
Thanks all. By the way, I don't worry about it, but it would be nice to know in some list of features help on the tool. The action of automatically deleting a road and making it over again is not intuitive to most and could have consequences in local discussions about who made a road. It's not a big deal though. Thanks for the great work on the tool!
vectorspace
Send a message
vectorspace