Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.
Post by dbraughlr
After saving my edits, I often see multiple occurrences of ReferenceError: WazeEditorURL is not defined on the JS console.
dbraughlr
Send a message

Post by dbraughlr
OyyoDams wrote:I can't reproduce the error, just tried with Firefox. Try to uninstall Toolbox and reinstall it again.
That didn't solve the problem for long. What would have to go wrong for this error to occur?
Why is WazeEditorURL accessed after Toolbox is running?
dbraughlr
Send a message

Post by dbraughlr
I would like a one-letter command (e.g., j) to turn a geometry point into a junction. It should operate on the geometry point of the selected segment over which the mouse hovers, one junction per keypress (non-repeating).
dbraughlr
Send a message

Post by dbraughlr
bz2012 wrote:
fvwazing wrote:This would make it way too easy to create two-segment-junctions. These should be exceptions!
I don't think it is good to 'make things deliberately difficult'. If a feature should only be available to upper level editors, that is the way it should be done.
The idea is to make it as easy as possible. The objection is incorrect. I do not understand why someone would say that such is an exception. A hundred times a day I use the workaround of creating an unneeded road then deleting it. There is no basis to restrict such a feature.
dbraughlr
Send a message

Post by dbraughlr
arbaot wrote:we should not have to split segment so often
If some actually do so, it's because of a routine engine malfunction
No, accommodating the malfunction is only a fraction of the places where I need to form a junction.
Here in the USA, we are still building new cities. When laying down roads in a new development, the fastest way is to lay out the entire grid; then form all the junctions. Any other way is simply a waste of time. We don't have enough editors to be able to afford to waste time. It's a huge country.
dbraughlr
Send a message

Post by dbraughlr
enhket wrote:... Damien should consider "flagging" the username of the person who used it for X segment. For example, it could associate your username with a segment id and flag you for that segment, so you cant suppress the unneeded junctions. It would be super easy to create junctions and then use the "suppress" feature.

Either that or there could be a limit: 50-100 junctions a day? I dont think you will be forced to do more than that.

I would go for rank-only features. So there is a reason to be level 5-6 other than locking/unlocking.
Preventing a person from removing an unneeded junction is a rule than does nothing but make it complicated.
You have no idea how many junctions I need a day. A 20 by 20 grid of streets needs around 400 junctions.

Why not limit new roads per day? Why not limit parking lot landmarks per day? Why not prevent deletion of streets, especially those attached to a locked road?
Why not limit total miles of incomplete roads? Why not limit q and w? Imo, editors does far more damage with these all things. I would rather sweep away unneeded junctions than unsplit a road or rebuild an interchange.

There is no reason to limit useful functionality to higher ranks. Forcing people to do stupid work to get to a higher rank is counterproductive.
We want new editors to learn to use the functionality before they are able to edit higher ranking roads. Misguided attempts to encourage editors to get a higher rank will not improve the quality of the work they do nor decrease the amount of damage they do in the rush to accumulate enough edits to get to the next rank.
enhket wrote:If i am not wrong
But you are. Creating 30 geometry points on a segment, then moving the mouse over each, pressing j and repeating 30 times, then clicking save, then suppressing unneeded junctions and clicking save again results in an easily-detected cheat on the backend server. But as was pointed out, it is easily done by taking a segment and connecting and disconnecting it from another segment 100 times. Your argument that the shortcut is faster, merely proves my point that we need the functionality.
dbraughlr
Send a message

Post by dbraughlr
bz2012 wrote:Inserting a node should (and I think WOULD be) less points than the current way of inserting a node by creating a segment to use as a 'tool' to insert the node, and then deleting the segment.
I rarely ever save the the temporary road, so it does count now. How Waze counts edits and grants points is up to Waze. Someone can create hundreds of new roads, chop up an existing road, or whatever. Like you, I prefer to do useful work. But if it makes people happy that using j doesn't count as an edit, that is fine with me. Aligning a 5 miles of a winding rural minor highway counts as 1 edit the same as making a straight 5 m segment in a parking lot.
dbraughlr
Send a message

Post by dbraughlr
enhket wrote:I am not against the new feature, but I believe it should have some restrictions.
I understand that. I am looking for a cogent explanation of why and how it should be restricted.
dbraughlr
Send a message

Post by dbraughlr
Note that the correct spelling of powerfull is powerful.
dbraughlr
Send a message