[Script Idea] Street Name Abbreviations

Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Forum rules
Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

DO NOT START a new thread unless it is about a new idea. Keep discussion of existing tools within the main thread for that tool.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

[Script Idea] Street Name Abbreviations

Postby doctorkb » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:27 pm

The basemap imported in Canada has a lot of long-form names (like Highway 2 North-west) that need to be abbreviated (to, say Hwy 2 NW).

My JavaScript is more than a little rusty, but I'm fluent in regexp. If someone would be able to work with me to develop a script that would change the street name based on some defined regexps, I'd be much appreciative!

My thought is that a user could select a single street (perhaps formed of multiple segments) then hit a key or button to have the name changed to fit the standards.
Waze Global Champ
Country Manager: Canada
Area Manager: Edmonton, AB; Prince George, BC; Calgary, AB; Maui, HI; and various places in between
ImageImage
doctorkb
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re: [Script Idea] Street Name Abbreviations

Postby iainhouse » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:34 pm

You want to talk to Twister-UK about the WME OpenData script. :)

In the UK, we have free access to a government database of road names and locations. 99 out of 100 road names can be set by choosing a road name from a drop-down box and simply clicking a button. Part of this script's operation is to take the "long-form" name and reduce it to standard abbreviations.

The Color Highlighting script also includes similar functionality to highlight incorrectly abbreviated names, although I'm guessing it may only do this in the UK.
UK Country Administrator • AM: London (DELETED), S Wales
Waze 3.7.2 • iPhone 4S (iOS 6.1.3) • Chrome/XP
Community Champ
ImageImage
UK WikiWaze FAQ
My name is Iain and I'm a Wazaholic. I last edited 1 hour ago.
iainhouse

Return to Addons, Extensions, and Scripts