[Script] WME Tools (WMET) v0.3.4 / 2013-12-27

Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Forum rules
Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

DO NOT START a new thread unless it is about a new idea. Keep discussion of existing tools within the main thread for that tool.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Re: [Script] WME Mass Edit Tool (WMET)

Postby orbitc » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:32 pm

iainhouse wrote:Please understand that we appreciate your efforts in scripting. I can see how this script could be very useful in the right hands. The real worry is that some of this script is already "out there".

Your original post was just the basic template for scanning across a large area. I downloaded it to see what it was doing and I'm sure that many others did as well. Now that you're posting code to go "inside" the script, that's available to anyone who downloaded the original script. Also, to be honest, you're supplying ideas to the sort of people who are simply looking for ways of gaining points.

There's also a UK-specific reason for resistance to the script. The main examples you have posted so far all touch on the UK in particular ways. We have script-based access to an open government database of road names, so for UK editors, a single click will set the road name, correctly abbreviated. In combination with the Highlighting script, incorrect abbreviations are actually a very small problem. We also have most of our railroads correctly mapped, because one of our CMs blitzed most of them a while back. Finally, we have a local problem with unnecessary locking/unlocking - something we're working to bring under control.

Really, I would be far more comfortable if your script was distributed like WME-Toolbox. It sounds like you have some reasonable reservations about this. Perhaps if you got together with Oyyodams, you guys might be able to work something out. The source code for Toolbox has been made available to the global champs only for review.

As I said, we've got nothing against you, or the intentions you have with this script. It's the potential for abuse that is making people nervous.

+1
100% agree.
We already have WME Toolbox that does very similar things. Your code requires someone comfortable with scripts and coding. It's very easy to cause major problems to the map. Interface should be different. You could include options as buttons rather those examples you had in the form above. An editor could easily make mistake entering/modifying those small scripts or have bad intentions to get points. I strongly agree with iainhouse that you should get together with Oyyodams work something together and limit distribution of this script to Champs only. I also, don't think it's enough to just ask "Not to distribute" You may have to put some kind of lock like Oyyo's script in a way that only champs could download.

Either way, I'm NOT comfortable using this at all and you can count me out. Sorry....
Regional Coordinator for Northeast (DE, NJ, NY, PA) & New England (CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT)
CM: U.S.A. & T.C.
• ßeta Tester
• AT&T | iOS 7.0.4 | Waze v3.7.9.914

WME | Mentoring | AM | USA
orbitc
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby orbitc » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:06 pm

argus-cronos wrote:I've played little bit around with the script this afternoon with not saving anything at all, and i must admit that it has enormous potential and on the other hand enormous potential to harm the map. I was a little bit shocked to see what is possible with this and what would be if an editor is messing up the code and hit save after only one function i.e. abbreviations, unbeliebable what all can be screwed up in a short time. So it is definitely better to never share it to the mass. The fact that it is not fully userfriendly makes it more dangerous.
I hope it will be used wisely from those who have the code until now.

Very dangerous indeed. It should not be distributed at all until some safe guards in place. Also it needs to be user friendly at the very least to prevent accidental saves that would cause more damage than good.
Regional Coordinator for Northeast (DE, NJ, NY, PA) & New England (CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT)
• ßeta Tester

orbitc
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby orbitc » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:19 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:The usefulness is potentially there, but like ethics of some types of genetic engineering like cloning, for example, I think the potential for mass problems from a tool like this is simply so great, that just because it can be done, doesn't mean it should be done, even if used by only a limited group of people. The map simply doesn't need to be mass updated in this manner. Just do the work and don't worry about doing it faster or easier.

I applaud the effort and technical skill required to pull off something like this, but I would rather see it not implemented. Unfortunately, this well-thought-restricted-distribution by the OP, which is very much appreciated, thank you!, the next coder interested in amassing points and nothing else, will not be no ethical about it.

+1
• ßeta Tester

orbitc
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby OyyoDams » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:11 pm

Be carefull with mass-editing scripts available to all users. Even if you add a filtee based on user level in javascript, it's easy to reverse-engineer the code. In the Toolbox script, code is generated live, so dangerous code is not even viewable to unexperimented users.

Sent with Tapatalk
[ WME Toolbox Image | WME Toolbox Image ] [ Register on Waze Team ! ]
OyyoDams
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby paulkok_my » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:56 am

I thought this is available in another script available for CMs? If not mistaken it's Toolbox where CMs can fix revcons or no end nodes at one click.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4
Area Manager: Shah Alam / Klang, Malaysia
Galaxy S3 on Android 4.1.2

Join our FB group: Waze in Malaysia on Facebook
or Google+ group: Waze in Malaysia on Google+
paulkok_my
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby paulkok_my » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:30 am

paulkok_my wrote:I thought this is available in another script available for CMs? If not mistaken it's Toolbox where CMs can fix revcons or no end nodes at one click.

Oops. After re-read the 1st post using my laptop, now I get it that the concept is different from Toolbox. I was using my S3 to read the post and interpret it differently. My apologies. :oops:

paulkok_my
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby paulkok_my » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:31 pm

This mass lock/unlock is for CMs only?

paulkok_my
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby paulkok_my » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:02 am

berestovskyy wrote:Fixes/features to be available for ALL COUNTRIES:
1. Pause on highlight: WMET will pause if any of the segments is highlighted by the Toolbox or Colour Highlights (idea of paulkok_my)
Can this feature pausing at any segments highlighted by toolbox or colour highlights be available for L3 and above since the codes is hidden? Make it something like Toolbox where all features is available for CM but for L3 and L4 are given limited features.

paulkok_my
Beta tester
Beta tester

Re: [Script] WME Tools (WMET) v0.3.3 / 2013-12-14

Postby paulkok_my » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:25 am

Hi, I just noticed that since the availability of the chat feature for Public WME the script is not loading. No problems on the Beta WME.

paulkok_my
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby petervdveen » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:38 pm

If it would be available for CM's only, then it could be a very nice tool ;-)
Coördinator BeNeLux
- Nederland Belgium Lëtzebuerg
ImageImageImageImage

peter@wazenederland.nl peter@wazebelgium.be
petervdveen
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Addons, Extensions, and Scripts