Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Forum rules
Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

DO NOT START a new thread unless it is about a new idea. Keep discussion of existing tools within the main thread for that tool.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

[Script] WME Tools (WMET) v0.3.4 / 2013-12-27

Post by berestovskyy
WMET.0.3.1.release.png
(25.53 KiB) Downloaded 5580 times
The new version of WMET is called WME Validator
and it's available here: forum link

WMET is an ultimate reporting tool. It reports issues with street/city names and connection issues. For some countries WMET also reports incorrect abbreviations, incorrectly named ramps/highways/freeways and incorrect lock levels.

Here is an example of WMET report: forum link
Here is the list of available reports: forum link

How to download?
  1. For Google Chrome browser please download WMET.0.3.4.crx: link to Crome CRX package
    Then drag and drop it into your Chrome Extensions Tab (chrome://extensions/)
  2. For Tampermonkey/Greasemonkey/Firefox please install the script from userscripts.org: link
This release expires at 2014-02-01

Changelog:
27.12.2013 v0.3.4:
- beta reports for Malaysia
- beta fixes for United States
- other minor fixes
14.12.2013 v0.3.3:
- WMET reports are now available for Lvl 1 editors
- few reports fixed
29.11.2013 v0.3.2:
- few reports fixed
28.11.2013 v0.3.1:
- secure
- user friendly
- reports
13.09.2013 v0.2:
- implemented segments interface
- integration with WME Toolbox

Known issues:
  • None!
Please note, WMET does not work on certain territories (there are no reports to select). It's not a bug.
berestovskyy

POSTER_ID:2630595

Send a message
Last edited by berestovskyy on Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:56 pm, edited 21 times in total.

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
The usefulness is potentially there, but like ethics of some types of genetic engineering like cloning, for example, I think the potential for mass problems from a tool like this is simply so great, that just because it can be done, doesn't mean it should be done, even if used by only a limited group of people. The map simply doesn't need to be mass updated in this manner. Just do the work and don't worry about doing it faster or easier.

I applaud the effort and technical skill required to pull off something like this, but I would rather see it not implemented. Unfortunately, this well-thought-restricted-distribution by the OP, which is very much appreciated, thank you!, the next coder interested in amassing points and nothing else, will not be no ethical about it.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by argus-cronos
I've played little bit around with the script this afternoon with not saving anything at all, and i must admit that it has enormous potential and on the other hand enormous potential to harm the map. I was a little bit shocked to see what is possible with this and what would be if an editor is messing up the code and hit save after only one function i.e. abbreviations, unbeliebable what all can be screwed up in a short time. So it is definitely better to never share it to the mass. The fact that it is not fully userfriendly makes it more dangerous.
I hope it will be used wisely from those who have the code until now.
argus-cronos
Send a message

Post by BadLog
Thanks, it's very usefull

Saludos
BadLog
BadLog
Send a message
Saludos.
BadLog
[img]https:///pcdMH[/img][img]https:///kw8w7[/img]

Post by bedo2991
Thank you for your script, it's awesome!

I want to report you this thing I've noticed. This clearly wrong segment is reported if selected but it's not highlighted. (Maybe you've have decided not to highlight streets?).
validator.png
Not highlighted
(469.16 KiB) Downloaded 3192 times
bedo2991
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 2
Send a message

Post by bedo2991
berestovskyy wrote:
bedo2991 wrote:I want to report you this thing I've noticed. This clearly wrong segment is reported if selected but it's not highlighted.
Fixed.
Still not working, now it's not even reported as a mistake on the left panel when it is selected.
Edit: eventually it was detected but still not highlighted (at least on the beta editor).
bedo2991
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bedo2991
berestovskyy wrote:Please let me know if any of the above helps.
Sorry, still nothing (but thank you for your support!)

Version: WME Validator
Version 0.4.2 @ 2014-01-07
Expiration date: 2014-01-20

What i still see when the segment is not selected (after clearing the cache of the script, doing even a CTRL+F5, turning off all the scripts except yours, toolbox and tried with WME CH on or off):
notblink.png
bedo2991
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by berestovskyy
paulkok_my wrote:I thought this is available in another script available for CMs?
Sure, there are scripts like Toolbox or JNF which fix nodes/turns/etc etc. Those scripts are quite mature and already tested by many editors. There is no reason to implement the same functionality once again, so this WMET script can just initiate some of the JNF functions, but in large scales, i.e. for a whole city.
doctorkb wrote:I'm *very* interested in an abbreviation script... though I don't think I want it to be applied universally.
Well, here are just a couple of examples when it is safe IMO to alter street name:
1. "St.X" -> "St.[space]X" or vice versa.
2. "P" -> "[P]"
3. "A4 (E40)" -> "A4 - E40" or vice versa.
4. "st." -> "St." (case)
etc etc

Also we can safely abbreviate (or expand the abbreviation) with thoroughly defined rules, like:
if the length of the street name is > 15, abbreviate "Saint" to "St."

Most of those rules will be country-specific (i.e. will work only in certain countries) and will be agreed with country managers.
doctorkb wrote:I'm very much against a "do stuff, then pan, then do it again" sort of script -- if it was that universal of a change, it should probably be done by Waze on the database backend.
You might be right. But on the other hand we could get it done in few minutes rather than days. And it's my main concern to make the script safe.

Actually I came up with the idea after I asked few times to unlock a road. The road was unlocked but some of the segments were still locked. So I asked to unlock them too. And then a nearby road... So I thought why can't we just have a script to lock/unlock roads in an area...

So I guess I'll start with this mass lock/unlock functionality and we'll see how it goes ;)
berestovskyy
Send a message

Post by berestovskyy
OyyoDams wrote:Be carefull with mass-editing scripts available to all users. Even if you add a filtee based on user level in javascript, it's easy to reverse-engineer the code.
Agreed. But to simplify things now I'm leaning towards closed distribution scheme...
berestovskyy
Send a message

Post by berestovskyy
Hi!
The v0.2 is ready.
At the moment this script is not available for download.

To test the script just over the current map view, please use "1 (run once)" button.

[description is removed]
berestovskyy
Send a message
Last edited by berestovskyy on Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:17 am, edited 2 times in total.