Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.
Post by SuperDave1426
I understand what you're going for there, but part of me kind-of cringes in terms of my "fair play" button being pushed.

"Hey, buddy! Your addon is really popular, and so is ours, so we're just going to absorb all of your code (or otherwise duplicate your functions) and add it to ours so that it gets even more popular and way less people are now using yours."

Mind you, I'm not using that as an argument against doing what you suggest; I'm a human too and human nature would be to need to load less addons to cover the jobs in question. :) It's just that I find the concept to be a bit cringe-worthy. I know that if I had a popular, handy plugin for WME that I was actively maintaining, it would bother me a lot of someone else came along and did something along those lines. Like I said, it just kind-of offends my sense of "fair play." If something that's widely used isn't really being supported or the author wants to give up on it, that's a different matter.
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by SuperDave1426
"Fair play" isn't exclusively for things which make money. ;) There's a certain sense of pride (which can give a lot of emotional satisfaction) when you've worked to create a useful tool that people are using. The "pay," per se', is in knowing that people are using what you've created and are happy with it in the case of something like this.

Different philosophical outlooks, I suppose. :-)

Glad to hear you'd be approaching the other plugin author in a case such as that and giving them an opportunity such as you described.
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by SuperDave1426
Just out of curiosity, is this going to be deemed "stable" enough for the Chrome store anytime soon? :D
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by SuperDave1426
Unfortunately, the native Chrome version of 1.6 doesn't seem to work. I can put in any number of decimal places, and it still just gives me a whole (integer) number when showing an angle. It also seems to ignore the size feature if I turn that on. Yes, I hit "apply." :-) And when I refresh the page and check again, everything I selected under the JAI settings resets back to default values.

The one you linked to that runs under Tampermonkey that you link to here seems to run fine and remember my settings.
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by SuperDave1426
milkboy wrote:Hmm.. Works fine for me (both Chrome+Tampermonkey and Firefox+Greasemonkey). Just make sure you have a "recent" (1.6.1+) version of the script, with the correct update URL: https://github.com/milkboy/WME-ja/raw/m ... le.user.js

Previously the update url was pointing to userscripts.org, which has not been working for quite some time.
(Side question: How automatic does using github make the update process when using it as your source for Greasemonkey/Tempermonkey? When you update the script there, will Greasemonkey/Tampermonkey know to update the script automatically?)

Something you might want to consider is to put it on greasyfork.org. A lot of script authors who used to use userscripts.org are using that now, and a lot of people who are just going straight to a source to look for user scripts who used to use userscripts.org are now searching greasyfork.org for those scripts. There are quite a few WME scripts already there.

Just a thought, anyway. :-)
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by SuperDave1426
milkboy wrote:Added script on greasyfork also for completeness. The support for web hooks to update was a pleasant surprise =)
The version at greasyfork.org doesn't have the @updateURL line in it, pointing to its greasyfork location. Is that how it's supposed to be? When installing the greasyfork version, how will Tampermonkey know to check for updates to it without that?

Or is that how it's supposed to work? (I honestly don't know - I just know that other greasyfork scripts that I have installed do have that line present near the top, so I just want to make sure that once people are installing that version that it will still update whenever you push out a new version....)
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by SuperDave1426
milkboy wrote:
SuperDave1426 wrote:Or is that how it's supposed to work? (I honestly don't know - I just know that other greasyfork scripts that I have installed do have that line present near the top, so I just want to make sure that once people are installing that version that it will still update whenever you push out a new version....)
Apparently that's the way it's supposed to work =)
https://greasyfork.org/en/help/rewriting

[EDIT: typos]
EDIT2: And apparently it works just fine =) Made a dummy version 1.6.4.1 with only the header version number changed, and Greasemonkey faithfully updated the script to that version :D
Excellent news! Glad to hear it works that way as intended. Thanks for checking into it and getting back to me! :-)
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by SuperDave1426
Tampermonkey (greasyfork.org) tells me that the current version available is 1.7.0. Chrome store for extensions tells me the current version is 1.6.7. Any chance the current version can be pushed out to the Chrome store anytime soon? :D
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by SuperDave1426
I prefer using a Chrome native plugin when it's available; one less layer of stuff needed to process the script (Chrome running it directly, rather than Chrome running Tampermonkey, which is then running the script). When the Tampermonkey script is all that's available for whatever reason, then running it through Tampermonkey beats not running it if it's a script I want for the browser. :-)
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by SuperDave1426
Olestas wrote:.. Or, Milkboy, maybe you can create new topic, and we will close this?
I'm only half following this topic, so sorry if this is a dumb question. :-)

Is someone else maintaining this addon now, which is available in store for Chrome and/or greasemonkey? (Which I could see why there'd need to be a different link to the actual script location.) Also, if this topic is going to be closed in favor of another topic being opened, can a link to that other topic be posted here before closing this one? That way people who are subscribed to this topic will get the note to check and can then subscribe to the new one. :-)
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message