[Script] WME Junction Angle Info

Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein, Glodenox, JustinS83

Forum rules
Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

DO NOT START a new thread unless it is about a new idea. Keep discussion of existing tools within the main thread for that tool.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Re: [script] WME Junction Angle Info

Postby sketch » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:00 pm

That's a "keep right" arrow..
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • tier one • new orleans
2017 chevrolet ss sedan 6mt • slipstream blue metallic
[ img ] [ img ]
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby voludu2 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:41 pm

why yes it is. I guess it is bleed-through from the green route.

I'm amending my post above for clarity.
Thank you.

[ img ]
USA Northeast Region Discord Chat
State Manager - Pennsylvania
Country Manager - USA and Thailand
Wiki Master, Global Mentor
utilitas, simplicitas, retentionis
voludu2
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5

Postby bz2012 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:54 pm

I've heard Waze tell me to turn left when the map clearly (and correctly) showed a right turn.
This is the first time I have SEEN a (purple route) left turn shown as 'keep right' with a right arrow.
Something looks very wrong there!
State Manager, Louisiana
bz2012
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby crazycaveman » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:07 pm

As mentioned above, the keep right is for the green path, NOT the purple. I've seen reports of people getting a turn left when they were clearly supposed to get a right hand instruction. Still have no idea what causes that, though. Seems like an intermittent bug
[ img ][ img ] [ img ][ img ][ img ]
ARC: South Atlantic Region
crazycaveman
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby FZ69617 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:40 pm

wlodek76 wrote:Could problem with best continuation be fixed, please :?:

You can try a new JAI version 1.8.0:
https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/9192- ... angle-info

Changes:
  • Rewritten the routing instructions estimation algorithm.
  • Minor styling improvements.
  • Other minor bug fixes.
Not sure whether all the issues related to the routing instructions has been fixed. But I hope this version estimates the instructions (especially 'best continuation' related ones) better than before.

@milkboy, I have no the GitHub account, so if you think this version is toward a right direction and you prefer have it on GH, then feel free to take my update there.
FZ69617
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby milkboy » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:27 am

FZ69617 wrote:@milkboy, I have no the GitHub account, so if you think this version is toward a right direction and you prefer have it on GH, then feel free to take my update there.

will certainly take a look :) Thanks.
Nexus 5 | CM 13 (Android 6.0.1 nightly)
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
Škoda Octavia III Combi 2.0 TDI RS DSG 2014 [ img ]
milkboy
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3

Postby qwaletee » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:13 am

Hmm, I posted this before, but it seems to have disappeared.

There are two types of angle displays in JAI, each using a different formula.

1a) When a junction is selected, it uses small orange circles to display angles of all adjacent segments in the junction. The calculation uses normative angles, calculated counterclockwise. All the angles together will add up to 360 degrees (barring aggregated rounding).

1b) When a single segment is selected, it is treated the same as 1a above, except that junctions at each of its ends (A and B) will display the set of adjacent segment angles. The formula is the same as 1a, and the totals will be 720 altogether (260 at each end) in the orange circles.

1c) When two or more segments are connected, then for the most part, the same rules as for 1b apply, but more junctions are active and therefore more junctions have angle information displayed. Each "selected junction" will have all adjacent segment angles displayed using teh same formula. However, there is an exception:

2) Where there are multiple segments selected per 1c above, each "active junction" is checked to see how many of its segments are selected. For any junction with exactly two segments selected, the display and calculations are modified, to focus on the single turn pair designated by the selected segments, and using a different angle calculation. In this case, the normal orange circle display is bypassed. Instead, it displays a somewhat larger circle containing the TURN ANGLE between the two segments, along with formatting to indicate turn type (different colors, and less/greater signs). The turn angle calculation is different than the orange circle calculation. It is 180 minus the value the orange circle would have displayed. This is sometimes called the departure angle, supplementary angle, or angle of deflection.

We rarely use the regular angles (with one exception). We almost always use the departure angle, because it is more intuitive for us, matches common driving directions, matches Waze's definitions to us, and is used in PesachZ's article on how prompts work.

Here are three requests:

Request #1: Can we have the 1a/1b/1c orange circles display the angle of departure in addition to or instead of the standard angle? I often find myself selecting multiple segments just to be able to get this number without having to subtract from 180 in my head.

Request #2: When a single segment is selected, instead of displaying the standard angles between each pair of adjacent segments, can we have a circle placed on each one of the connected segments, and have it display the angle from/to the selected segment, along with an indication of the instruction from/to it?

These two together would save an enormous amount of manual selection/deselection and manual calculations when dealing with complex junctions.

*The one exception where we use real angles instead of turn angles is when measuring for U-turn prevention (parallel roads, single segment <15m connecting them).

Request #3: In this situation, if you could detect it, a third type of display would be ideal - one that actually showed the number of degrees off parallel of the two roads.

Thanks for a great tool and for considering these requests.
US Champ / Country Manager | State Manager NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, RI, VT, ME, NH | Northeast ARC | Mentor | Responding to Map Issues
qwaletee
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Location: NYC Metro - Active throughout NE^2 (Northeast & New England)

Postby milkboy » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:19 am

qwaletee wrote:Request #1: Can we have the 1a/1b/1c orange circles display the angle of departure in addition to or instead of the standard angle? I often find myself selecting multiple segments just to be able to get this number without having to subtract from 180 in my head.

Very much doable

qwaletee wrote:Request #2: When a single segment is selected, instead of displaying the standard angles between each pair of adjacent segments, can we have a circle placed on each one of the connected segments, and have it display the angle from/to the selected segment, along with an indication of the instruction from/to it?

Sure. The only issue is, that the instruction may be different depending on which direction the user is going, so assuming the direction is "from the selected", it's trivial.

qwaletee wrote:Request #3: In this situation, if you could detect it, a third type of display would be ideal - one that actually showed the number of degrees off parallel of the two roads.

yay.. this should be possible to do also, just have to check a few things to see if it can be made fast .
Nexus 5 | CM 13 (Android 6.0.1 nightly)
Škoda Octavia III Combi 2.0 TDI RS DSG 2014 [ img ]
milkboy
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3

Postby PesachZ » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:37 am

milkboy wrote:
qwaletee wrote:Request #1: Can we have the 1a/1b/1c orange circles display the angle of departure in addition to or instead of the standard angle? I often find myself selecting multiple segments just to be able to get this number without having to subtract from 180 in my head.

Very much doable

qwaletee wrote:Request #2: When a single segment is selected, instead of displaying the standard angles between each pair of adjacent segments, can we have a circle placed on each one of the connected segments, and have it display the angle from/to the selected segment, along with an indication of the instruction from/to it?

Sure. The only issue is, that the instruction may be different depending on which direction the user is going, so assuming the direction is "from the selected", it's trivial.

qwaletee wrote:Request #3: In this situation, if you could detect it, a third type of display would be ideal - one that actually showed the number of degrees off parallel of the two roads.

yay.. this should be possible to do also, just have to check a few things to see if it can be made fast .

If you have any questions especially about the U-turn angles feel free to message me

Sent using Tapatalk for Android 4.4.2
PesachZ
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby Olestas » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:35 am

https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=row&lo ... ,102806274

This form gives Keep Left in reality. JAI does not detect this.. can something be done? ACtually now it is pretty hard in some cases to predict how will it sound..

GC: Latvia
Coordinator: Latvia
Country manager (Full coverage): Latvia/Lithuania/Belarus/Russia/Ukraine
Olestas
Coordinators
Coordinators

PreviousNext

Return to Addons, Extensions, and Scripts