Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.
Post by ilyvion
Taco909 wrote:For this reason, I can see the point in having an expiration date in the script. Not everyone has their scripts set up to auto-update.
Hence my comment earlier about first checking if there is an actual update available before telling people to upgrade, when there's nothing to upgrade to.

I also second the question made about why this script is so locked down. If (and sorry for being morbid here) the author dies or disappears from the Internet, or whatever, nobody can pick up where they left off, at least not without violating the license on the script, and we'd simply lose out on all the time and effort spent making and maintaining this script. It would be a great shame.

It also prevents others from helping improve the script in various ways, so I really see no benefit whatsoever in keeping it locked down.
ilyvion
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3
Send a message

Post by ilyvion
Any reason the Custom Templates are locked to having only two, and having non-configurable colors? It would be nice to be able to add/remove Custom Templates at will, and also to set their colors manually. I'm already using both the ones available, but I have a "need" for several more.
ilyvion
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3
Send a message

Post by impulse200
SpencerFG wrote:I found the whole map "lit up." I first turned Validator off, then tried checking the box. That worked but I'm still getting the "too many errors" message.
This is true for most editors I've been talking to. Not only validator is broken by marking all segments "unconfirmed". It also breaks saving changes.
impulse200
Send a message

Post by impulse200
I wonder why not to integrate Validator and Toolbox features strait into the WME? Those two are already must have for any editor out there.
impulse200
Send a message

Post by impulse200
RussPA wrote:
impulse200 wrote:I wonder why not to integrate Validator and Toolbox features strait into the WME? Those two are already must have for any editor out there.
Judging by how well each editor update goes (or doesn't go) and by how many bugs pop up, do you really trust the Waze programmers with these two important functions?
Editor script writers are much more responsive to problems that pop up, let's keep it this way
iainhouse wrote:
impulse200 wrote:I wonder why not to integrate Validator and Toolbox features strait into the WME? Those two are already must have for any editor out there.
There are a couple of reasons.

The most important reason, by far, is simply that nobody at Waze HQ is a heavy or regular editor. This is readily apparent from all the obstacles and broken workflows they have thrown at us over the years; from the fact that the WME UI is plainly designed for use on large, high resolution screens.

As a result, they have little or no idea of what tools will actually be helpful to us. Validator and Toolbox (and other scripts) are provided by people who actually edit the map. They know what they would find useful, then go and develop it.

I'll give you a prime example: editor notes on the map. I proposed having a special type of UR here back in 2014, and that wasn't the first proposal along those lines. Waze never responded. Instead, we started adding URs with [TAGS] in the text. URO+ added the ability to provide custom icons for tagged URs. 2½ years later this system is used across the world. This summer, at various meetups, Waze have finally admitted that some sort of editor note system is needed and is under development.

And that brings me to the other reason why these scripts aren't part of WME: responsiveness. It's taken literally years to get an Editor Note facility added to WME - and it's not here yet. But if you want a new ability for WME from a script you can just ask. If someone who can write a script thinks it's a good idea, there could be a new script within days, or a new feature added to an existing script. Waze HQ will never match the level of response provided by the script writers.

Right now, we're going through the regular painful period after a WME update. I know that Toolbox and URO+ have already been updated, as I'm sure some other scripts have. Within a week or so, most scripts will have been fixed. Yes, a Validator update is likely to be slow because the author doesn't have much time for Waze nowadays. But here, "slow" might mean a few weeks. Compared to Waze HQ, where slow might mean a few years!

There is no way I would like to hand over control of what I consider critical parts of the editing experience to Waze HQ. I'd rather it stayed in the hands of people like us - who actually edit and care about our experience and the experience of other editors..
This all sounds... well... a bit masochistic. [emoji23] What else makes all of us waste our time on this crapware?

Closer to topic. Has anyone figured out what is causing "not verified" and, more importantly, saving issues in Validator? We probably could hack it ourselves...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
impulse200
Send a message

Post by indispuesto
Wow, nice work here with this extension, very very useful. It should be installed by default for every map editor.
indispuesto
Send a message

Post by irowiki
Just wanted to say thanks for this, really helps a newbie get going!
irowiki
Send a message

Post by irowiki
qwaletee wrote:Been wondering... what are the SLOW indicators for. They don't seem to be special errors or warnings, what information does this impart?
According to the script, it takes longer to process the stuff marked with SLOW.
irowiki
Send a message

Post by irowiki
- NEW for ALL: 'Out of range elevation'
Does this need to be enabled? I'm not getting any highlights for random areas I find that are blank elevation wise.

Would also be nice to have a way to search for all elevation not set to "Ground" in an area where there are no tunnels, bridges or overpasses.
irowiki
Send a message

Post by irowiki
I meant, search for segments that aren't set to ground level currently, but that would probably be another script!
irowiki
Send a message