Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.
Post by SuperDave1426
Problem solved, thanks to all for the various suggestions.

Problem was firmly of the PEBKAC variety. :oops:

I didn't notice that the options to exclude Streets, Service Roads, Other Drivable and non-drivable were turned on, for those curious. You may begin the regaling of me with "duh" comments now. :mrgreen:
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message
Last edited by SuperDave1426 on Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by SuperDave1426
Thanks for maintaining this highly useful WME addon. It's appreciated, and this is a highly useful tool used by many.

That said, this recent flurry of messages here is a prime example of why hardwiring an arbitrary "expire" date into such an important and widely used tool is a bad thing, regardless of what the "motivation" behind it is. If you happen to not be able to get around to doing an update (especially if it's for no other purpose than to update the "expire" date) by the deadline, then a lot of people get inconvenienced for no reason. It isn't broken - it just refuses to work because the date has passed.

Just sayin'....
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by SuperDave1426
james890526 wrote:
Thortok2000 wrote:
SuperDave1426 wrote:Thanks for maintaining this highly useful WME addon. It's appreciated, and this is a highly useful tool used by many.

That said, this recent flurry of messages here is a prime example of why hardwiring an arbitrary "expire" date into such an important and widely used tool is a bad thing, regardless of what the "motivation" behind it is. If you happen to not be able to get around to doing an update (especially if it's for no other purpose than to update the "expire" date) by the deadline, then a lot of people get inconvenienced for no reason. It isn't broken - it just refuses to work because the date has passed.

Just sayin'....
It's a tool berestovskyy created. If it's a mean to help motivate him, why not? It's one of those perfect script that we've been using daily and taking for granted sometimes, so I'm satisfied if an update comes quick or slow or maybe never ;)
What he said. We definitely appreciate the tool, but this isn't the smartest design decision.
Um, you may have goofed on your quoting, there. :-) All Thortok2000 said was the last line, starting with "what he said." I'm going to assume the other part just above that and below where he quoted me is what you wanted to say.

Regarding your final comment, you'd better hope that you never end up with a "never updates it," because under the current design, if he doesn't update it the flipping thing turns itself off even though there's nothing wrong with it. And then you'd never be able to use it again. ;)

I appreciate the sentiment behind what you're trying to say here, though I fail to understand the whole "need it to motivate him" thing. Look at it this way: If the script is working, if there are no new features, if there are no updates to existing features, if Waze hasn't released a new version of WME that breaks the script, then nothing about the script needs to be updated.

In this case, he has to take the time to push out an update that does nothing more than change the arbitrary "expire" date that he set for it, which means he has to take time out of his busy schedule to do so before it artificially expires. And in times such as this, when he misses, then lots of people are suddenly surprised, and a hoard of people start posting here about how it broke (because from their standpoint, it did) until a moderator has to lock down the topic and he gets to pushing out the update. :-)

As Thortok2000 noted, this really isn't the best design structure. Updating because there's been an improvement to existing features, new features added, or WME updated and broke the script makes sense. Updating to a version where the only change is the internal "expire" date has been changed, well... doesn't. ;)
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by SuperDave1426
I do hope this script is still being maintained. It's been extremely useful (and works well in conjunction with Toolbox), and I'd hate to lose it.
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by SuperDave1426
taco909 wrote:
Rfrsw101 wrote:I'm just wondering, is there any way for Validator to be incorporated into a tab? Instead of having it up all the time. Such as [Validator] [Drives] [Area] [Settings]... But thanks for getting it working so quickly after WME changed.
Ditto.
Validator goes away when you use the URO+ option to eliminate the editor sidebar info.
Yes, this, please give it its own tab. The new heading info is (to me) so obnoxiously large now that I turned on the option in URO+ to suppress it. I didn't even see the new Validator placement until I saw the above messages and turned off that option in URO+. Validator's interface really doesn't need to be in the sidebar at all times, so if it could just be given its own tab like other addons, that would be great! :D

Thanks for getting it working again!
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by SuperDave1426
Fredo-p wrote:I'm not a fan of having Validator as a tab. I like having it "on". It's faster to clear the map by clicking the X vs to have to un-select a segment, click on a tab, hit the X, then go back to editing.

If anything, the only issue I have is Validator being on the top and only shown when user info is shown.
That's the way it used to be - you'd still have to click a "tab" back before this latest update: The "Me" tab. So how is that any worse in your opinion than having it in its own tab, so you can click on it when you actually need to run a report, etc? Only now, without a "Me" tab that doesn't show too much of anything to put that interface on, it's on all the time and seriously crowds out other plugins which have been tabbed to. Blech.
As a compromise, could we get the option of having Validator as a tab or not?
If that can be done, that would be good, too. Just as long as there's a way to get it off the screen until it's needed, I (and several others, from what I've seen :) ) would be happy.
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by SuperDave1426
I would still prefer it to have its own tab. I completely fail to see why it has to be present at all times on every tab - it continuously runs a scan in the background as you pan around the map; you only need the interface if you're making a change to a setting or custom filter, or if you want to run a full report on a given area. How many people run complete reports or change settings every 2 seconds?

Also, I still don't see the interface for Validator, no matter what tab I have selected. I'm using Chrome.
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by SuperDave1426
berestovskyy wrote:
SuperDave1426 wrote:I would still prefer it to have its own tab.
Guys, I've played with tabs some time ago and I didn't like the tabs were wrapped onto a second line. I will give it another try, but it's not the highest priority ATM.
I understand that it may not be to your personal preferences, but a LOT of people here are asking for it. So I hope you will consider the request.

Also, you must not be using many plugins if you only have one row of tabs - I currently have three rows of tabs, and find that a lot easier to cope with than having it visible all the time, taking up room when not needed. :)

Also, since I'm using the Toolbox option to suppress the editor information area of the left panel, I don't see the Validator interface at all since it's in that location. So as things currently stand, I've got no easy access to the Validator UI at all (have to go through extra steps to re-enable the editor info area so that I can get to it - a tab means one click and I'm there).
We could also try to put it into one of the existing tabs...
If you simply have to do it that way, then I would agree with jdelosa about using the Settings or Drives tab.

Of course, as Twister-UI has pointed out (more than once, I'm pretty sure), the next time Waze pushes out another WME change that changes something about the nature of those two tabs, then once again we end up with Validator going "missing."

The tab structure is well established, known, and is used widely by a range of WME addon tool writers. Editors are used to looking for the appropriate tab for the addon they want to use there. If you give Validator a tab of its own there, people will know how to find it and use it - and the next time Waze comes along and makes an arbitrary decision about what they want to have over in the left panel that affects the Drives or Settings tab, Validator shouldn't disappear as a result. ;)
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by SuperDave1426
It's great that there's now an option to put it on the bottom. Can we now PLEASE get an option to put it on a tab, like every other popular WME addon? ;)

I honestly don't understand why there's so much resistance from the Validator maintainer(s) against giving it to us on a tab, or at least making it an option for those of us who'd rather have it there. Validator validates in the background as you scan, for crying out loud - the UI for it really doesn't have to be visible in the left panel 100% of the time.... :?
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message