Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.
Post by CBenson
Timbones wrote:
CBenson wrote:I've seen routing issue, like routing the wrong way on roundabouts with only two roads that connect to them. I do think they are a problem.
Did it actually route the wrong way, or was the purple route in WME drawn the wrong way?
Not sure. I haven't seen an example since I realized the purple route might not be the actual route given in the client.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
SuperDave1426 wrote:
kentsmith9 wrote:Otherwise we have to add a node in the middle of one of the two segments on the roundabout. That seems like unnecessary work.
Not to mention that the minute you do that, you create a roundabout with non-sequential segment IDs, and I've read that can cause problems with navigation through a roundabout. The Toolbox will specifically flag such a roundabout as one which could cause potential problems (and if you use the "redo roundabout" tool, it will (quite properly, IMO) remove the extra node you just added because there's not actually a road attached to it).
So recreate the roundabout with the extra node. I still don't really understand the point of mapping roundabouts with only two segments. But I have seen them give similar problems as any two segments that are connected to the same two nodes. I've had more issues with two segment roundabouts than with non-sequential segment ID roundabouts.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
SuperDave1426 wrote: I suppose it could be managed by temporarily creating a third road leading into it and then deleting that road once the roundabout is created, but to me that falls back into what kentsmith9 was saying about being more unnecessary work.
Exactly. Even less work is just having a street with no roundabout at all.
SuperDave1426 wrote:Since when is a roundabout about how many roads enter it? A roundabout is a big honkin' (or in some cases, a small honkin' :-)) circular road, running one way, around something in the middle of it. Other roads attach to it and those coming from the entering roads are required to yield to the traffic already in the roundabout.

In U.S. dictionaries the terms "roundabout", "traffic circle" and "rotary" are synonyms. There's no requirement that there be more than two roads attached.
A couple of thoughts.
1) I didn't say they weren't roundabounts, just that they weren't worth mapping.
2) Although yielding to the traffic is a consideration, its not a universal quality of traffic circles. There are certainly urban signaled circles where "at the roundabout take the second exit" is a useful instruction, but the traffic in the circle doesn't have any right-of-way over the traffic entering the circle as the entries are all signaled.
3) I still don't see the advantage of an instruction that says "at the roundabout continue straight" or "at the roundabout take the first exit," when there are no other roads to take. The roundabout as a corner does confuse me. I prefer "take at left at . . .", to "at the roundabout take the first exit", if the only things I can do are turn left or go back the way I came. If its truly a big honkin' circle, I'd prefer to get a turn right at State Circle and then get a turn right on Main St instruction.
SuperDave1426 wrote:One question, though, and I didn't see an answer to this the last time we were discussing it: You had indicated that in the past you've seen that to be the case. Is it, in fact, still the case now? Have you seen any recent occurrences of whatever the problem behavior is that you've seen? It could very well be that it's already been fixed.
I have not seen recent occurrences, so roundabouts may now be treated differently with regard to this issue.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
SuperDave1426 wrote:Then can I make the request that when you're arguing against two-road roundabouts that you drop that as a reason? If it's no longer happening, then it seems to me that it's no longer a valid reason to use in a "do it or not" type of consideration. But maybe that's just me. :D
Sure you can make the request. But if I understand correctly, the validator is simply applying the same rules regarding two segments connecting the same two junctions that is applied to any segments to roundabout segments. I do believe that there are currently problems when the same two segments connect the same two junctions. I guess I'd like to see more evidence that roundabout segments are somehow treated differently with regard to these problems.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Don't know about the Int'l server, but having two one-ways that connect the same two junctions has caused problems in my area. If the origin or destination is on one of the street waze will occasionally start or stop the route on the other. This has been solved by adding a extra junction on one of the segments.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
sketch wrote:
dbraughlr wrote: Let's consider first a one-way terminal loop.

What is the known navigation error in this situation?
How do you correct it?
I'm not sure what the problem would be on a one-way terminal loop, if any, but knowing which way to go from a dead-end isn't really a problem.
I've seen numerous reports of problems with one-way terminal loops. The problem is that waze ignores the one-way property of the road, so will appear to route either way around the loop. You correct it by putting two extra junctions in the loop.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
dbraughlr wrote:A ramp must be connected at both ends and the junction at one end must have a freeway/highway/ramp segment.
Must seems strong to me. These segments have been ramps for quite some time and I've never found enough of a reason to change them.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
berestovskyy wrote:- NEW for ALL: 'More than 55 letters Ramp'
I'm curious as to where the guidance for this check comes from.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
berestovskyy wrote:
CBenson wrote:
berestovskyy wrote:- NEW for ALL: 'More than 55 letters Ramp'
I'm curious as to where the guidance for this check comes from.
It comes from the suggestion in this thread: forum post No objections, so the check is implemented.
Let me know if the check should be disabled for US.
bedo2991 wrote:Edit: another thing that might be useful worldwide could be a warn: "Ramp streetname is too long". (Maybe 65 chars, not to bee too restrictive). We have some editors that take all the possible destination shown in the road signs and put them all in the ramp streetnames...
Hmm, that's exactly what I do - put all the possible destinations shown on the road sign in ramp streetnames. If the check is useful to others that's fine. But I'm not limiting my ramp names to 65 characters.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
dbraughlr wrote:
kentsmith9 wrote: Unless someone can identify the problem
Simply put, there is not Road Type for connectors below the class of highways (freeways, MH, mH).
(I highly favor adding a proper road type for connectors; perhaps this is what "Service road" was originally intended to do.)

For normal classification Streets (primary street, street, and the obsolete service road), any connector is the lower of the two ends.

For Other - drivable (dirt roads, parking lot roads, and so forth) and all Non-drivable types, any connector is just whatever it is.

Ramp is a highway classification in the taxonomy of Road types.
Using Ramp for a street is a misuse of a highway road type for non-highway function.
  • Highway
    • Freeway
    • Major highway
    • Minor highway
    • Ramp
    Street
    • Primary street
    • Street
    • Service road
Maybe this discussion should be split from this thread again, but I disagree with this statement. The guidance in the US, as noted above, is that ramps are to be used for grade separated connections. We could discuss changes, but "highway function" is term that we can endlessly debate. Again we should likely have that debate elsewhere.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message