Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.
Post by sketch
krikketdoug wrote: 1> Walking trails and other non-drivable road types that have a elevation of something other than -5 be flagged. By running the script near my home, I found a few examples of this, so I have a feeling it's not that uncommon of an error.
I'm not sure how much of the rules support this, exactly. Railroads are to be set at -5, certainly, as are Walking Trails (if mapped at all), I believe, but a Pedestrian Boardwalk shouldn't always, necessarily. I think a lot of these rules are in flux.
2> Now that the US is moving to a Functional Classification system, I've found an odd segment here and there that don't match the new FC system. Each side of the segment has a different road type but the same street name. Usually it's a short segment between a parking lot and a cross street, but I'm wondering how many more are out there. From what I understand, the changing of the road type can cause routing problems. So I propose we check against that as well.
This could be good -- given 3 segments with the same name, if the segment in the middle has a different type than the segments on the ends, flag it. I imagine this would be a 'slow' check, but that's fine.
3> Another check that would probably have to be handled on the country level now that Landmarks has transisitioned to Places is a check on the new Places markers versus what the rules say they should be. For example, for a while a religious site was permitted while a simple church was not. On the other hand many editors concluded that any site that had hundreds of worshippers visiting it every day or was over a hundred years old (Hey! I'm in America! Here that is a long time!) or... You get the idea. In each country there should be (eventually) a list of approved typed of markers in the Wiki that could be used to compare what is used. [edited to remove additional unnecessary examples]

Much simpler under the new rules, if I understand everything correctly. Just mark them all places(points) instead of places(areas). [edited to remove a reference to the unnecessary examples]

Krikket
I don't mind the idea, but I think Places is still too young to start incorporating things into Validator about it -- especially in the rest of the world.
kentsmith9 wrote:Validator and Toolbox both believe this segment should be straightened, but in my opinion is pulls the road a little too far off the actual road since it curves. It seems like it might be a little too aggressive in what they are both considering is a straight enough line.
The Validator-Toolbox highlights are pulled straight from Toolbox -- in other words, Validator is just reporting what Toolbox reports in its reports -- so only Toolbox's selection criteria will affect this (but I agree that Toolbox is too aggressive in this function).
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
I believe the elevation 9 runway thing was suggested by me in another thread — because if runways interact with other roads at all, they'll be on top.
krikketdoug wrote:
berestovskyy wrote:But in fact at the moment Validator does the opposite. In some countries it highlights walking trails with elevation -5 (check #105).
Okay. Definately a country specefic thing then...
That check is there because some countries used -5 walking trails to represent railroads, but since we got the directive to add railroads using the railroad type, we added that highlight.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
kentsmith9 wrote:Before we do that, let's be sure we understand the turn issue. I saw a bunch of those errors flagged in CA. They were mostly at Bowtie intersections for the U-turns. I told Jemay I did not want to go through 500 bowties to tweak the angles if the route will still allow a car to do a U-turn there. I know a road would not generally allow a car to turn such a harsh angle, but when you are at a stop and doing a U-turn in an intersection you are going 3 miles per hour and you can do any angle.

Besides most of the bowtie intersections will be replaced by junction boxes (soon ;) ) so we should not be touching those intersections twice if not necessary.

Therefore we need to find out if those flagged issues were problems under general conditions vs. the routing server will NOT route through that harsh an angle.
And the entire point of a bowtie is to enable the restriction of U turns. There is no reason whatsoever to use a bowtie where U turns are allowed.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
olestas wrote:Wait, what? U-turns work? They don't for me... And what with the junction boxes?
We're talking about split roads (dual carriageways) here.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
I don't think Validator looks at the Places layer at all, though it is a nice idea.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
krikketdoug wrote:An idea for another invalid street name check, that might be workable...

I was out on a drive and I heard a couple of times at different streets, "Turn right on Street Charles Road". Kind of obvious what the problem was when I thought about it. St. is the abbreviation for Saint and Street.

Given that Street would only be used at the end of the street name, but Saint would be used after the directional (if any) and before the name, could Validator look for St in this context?

Just a thought.
I created the following check for this same problem.

Code: Select all

{street}
/(^|/ |[NEWS] |Rue )St /
This will highlight segments that begin with "St ", or that contain any of the following:
"/ St "
"N St " | "E St " | "W St " | "S St "
"Rue St "

I will post this in the US Validator thread also.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
This discussion has happened so many times. It's a problem. Go find it on the rest of the forum if you aren't convinced yet. There's no need to do it again.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
There is a certain power with knowing EVERY segment a person has edited. The privacy interest does change. At least in the US, individual arrest records are public documents, available to all, but an FBI rap sheet (which is just a compilation of all the arrest records) is not available to the public, because the compilation of the data tells you quite a lot more than each individualized piece, and to get all the pieces individually you have to know where to look.

Now, of course, the FBI and other agencies have access to the rap sheet. Those who are responsible for policing have a need for the data.

Those who police the map likewise have an interest in the data beyond simply knowing what someone is up to, so the privacy interest is defeated.

Not that I am taking a side either way, but I can certainly see a good reason to keep it as is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
SuperDave1426 wrote: @sketch: An activity done in public (aka Public Activity) is a world of difference from a rap sheet by the FBI. If you do want to make a comparison, however, there have been a number of court cases, both in the USA and other countries, where it's been deemed that when performing a public activity, an individual has no reasonable expectation to privacy. Since editing the Waze map is likewise a public activity, there is no reasonable expectation to an editor that those edits should be considered private.
Yes – and like a map edit, an arrest is a matter of public record, and therefore available to the public. That's the reason for my analogy: while each bit of public activity is available to the public, you have to know where to look. You have to know which county to look for an arrest record in, and you have to know which areas to look at to find segments edited by a particular user. But just like a rap sheet – just a compilation of public records – is not available to the public (there's been a court case about that too), the ability to search and create a listing of every segment edited by a particular editor may be frowned upon by staff.
Heck, if I screw something up and someone notices it, I want the person who found it to know who I am so they can contact me and let me know about it. I can't fix something, including an errant editing behavior, if I'm not informed about it.
That's understandable, and I'm not saying that isn't a compelling interest. Just providing a rationale for the privacy angle, because there is a difference between isolated bits of data and a compilation thereof.
And as I've already pointed out, given that the vast majority of editors here are going by a pseudonym of some kind or another, they've already got all the "privacy" that they should ever need WRT Waze. Sincerely, I really do fail to see what "privacy" implications there are in someone being able to search for, to see, all your edits on the map. I just don't see how much "power" that gives someone.
It must be understood that Waze is an international product and privacy laws are wildly different throughout the world. The USA is relatively lax on data privacy, whereas the EU (and especially certain states within, like Germany) has comprehensive directives/laws concerning the topic. A new user often starts to edit in that user's neighborhood, so by searching out every segment edited by JoeBlo42 (who might be using his real name), you might find where he lives. That's a privacy issue.
SuperDave1426 wrote: Personally, I'm a big fan of the new highlighting for non-ground level roads. It's already helped me spot and correct surface roads that somehow had been set to elevation -2 or +3... :D

--Dave
That's Toolbox ;)
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
I appreciate that :)

And like I said, it's not so much my concern, but the concern of the staff. I think it's perfectly reasonable to allow AMs access to that particular tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message