Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.
Post by kentsmith9
berestovskyy wrote:
kentsmith9 wrote:Is there any chance to have the tool resort the list into some order (numeric, alphabetical, type, etc)? Or is it in one now and I don't recognize it? :D
There is an order and Validator uses it everywhere (in the report, in segment's properties, in the list of available checks etc). The checks are ordered by the severity first (errors come first) and then alphabetically.
Thanks for clarifying. So the numbers are tagging the order in which the check was added, but no relation to the order of execution. In this case I guess we just need to ensure the link to that thread entry is clearly identified in the first post. I see it is there, but when I first looked I missed it somehow. I was probably just glossing through it too fast.

Because it is easy enough to use the browser Find once you get to that post, I don't think we want to spend too much time constantly updating a Wiki page that will require reformatting of that data. We should be able to at least put in a link to that entry from the Wiki. I will confirm.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
dbraughlr wrote:
berestovskyy wrote:... IMO it's better to create new more comprehensive check with a list of allowed lowercase words (to, a, the, de, la, etc) and report any other lowercase word no matter its position in the street name.
"De La Vina St" → pass.
"Norte de La Vina St" → pass.
"E del Paso Blvd" → error.
"Van de Vanter Ave" → pass.
"W de Vanter Ave" → error.
"S De la Cruz Blvd" → error.
"N Via de las Cruces Hwy" → error.
Why are these two an error?
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
dbraughlr wrote:
berestovskyy wrote:... IMO it's better to create new more comprehensive check with a list of allowed lowercase words (to, a, the, de, la, etc) and report any other lowercase word no matter its position in the street name.
"De La Vina St" → pass.
"Norte de La Vina St" → pass.
"E del Paso Blvd" → error.
"Van de Vanter Ave" → pass.
"W de Vanter Ave" → error.
dbraughlr wrote:1. Failure to capitalize "La" of "La Cruz".
2. Failure to capitalize "Las" of "Las Cruces".
Validator wrote:Lowercase street name (with exceptions) (#94)
The street name starts with a lowercase letter (excluding country-specific words).
Make the first street name letter uppercase.
For countries: CZ, SK, US
I saw a discrepancy between your two statements that I could not identify the correct solution.

I did not see the official list linked to what letters are supposed to be allowed in each country. I assume there is some table? Is it buried in this forum? I think we should add it as a page in the Wiki. If someone can point me to the list I am happy to create it so we can link it like the Validator error #94. I now understand the second one if 'las' is not on the accepted list. I would then understand the first one if 'de' was not on the original displayed list.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
dbraughlr wrote:
kentsmith9 wrote: I saw a discrepancy between your two statements that I could not identify the correct solution.
Are you now satisfied that there is no discrepancy between my statements?
"La Cruz" gets capitalized for the same reason that "Las Cruces" is capitalized.
drbauglr, just to clarify, "your two statements" was between you and berestovskyy. They were in disagreement from what I read and summarized here.
berestovskyy's message said "la" is allowed.
dbraughlr's message said "la" is not allowed.

Maybe the problem is berestovskyy's message was for all countries and yours was only for the USA?

But if that is the case, in California we have plenty of Spanish roads, so if "la" and "de" are allowed in other countries, why not allow it in the US? Again if there was already a thread on this I could not find it but would be happy to review to better understand if this was already discussed.
dbraughlr wrote:
kentsmith9 wrote: I did not see the official list linked to what letters are supposed to be allowed in each country.
Exceptions for the USA:
  • closed
  • construction
  • to
Thanks for the list. Is this list agreed by the whole USA community? I am not questioning your accuracy, I just did not find the thread that discussed it. I wanted to link the Wiki page to the discussion thread to prevent future questions that may debate the list.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
sketch wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote: Maybe just edit it to redirect to the Junction Style Guide page?
Not without adding some of the content to the Junction Style Guide. I'm only now noticing that the Guide doesn't actually include guidance on split-road intersections besides the bowtie. The section should be renamed more generally, and the information in the "classification" article should be modified for inclusion into that section of the JSG. I'd also want to contact fvwazing and ask if the classification names are actually used in any context before removing them from the Wiki.

I'm short on time today, otherwise I'd make a Wiki update thread about it. If you want to do that so we can stop hijacking this thread about it, that'd be cool, and I'll get to it when I can (hopefully tomorrow). If not, I'll do so when I have the chance.
Wiki Thread Started...
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
I have been working on smudged cities and found that a big source of the problems come from segments in the US that somehow have no state entered in the state name field. I don't think you can create a segment and not have a state entry, so somehow these segments get past the editor somewhere along the line.

When present they create a new city entry because that segment does not match the other segments around them. Once they are identified you simply update the segment state name. I am currently running a test in viewtopic.php?f=251&t=81200 to track when the city layer gets corrected without posting the entries in the city smudge form. It may turn out they will not get updated ever without using the form.

I propose the validator identify these segments without a state. Further we can recommend posting that segment permalink in the smudged city form if my test results find no other solution.

Here is a segment with no state that you can test against.

Also, I searched the first post in this thread, but did not find the link to the Complete Search list. Can this link be added to the OP for simpler locating, or is there some reason we are hiding it on entry 50+ in this thread?
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
davielde wrote:Kent, you're actually the person that I eventually wanted to touch base with because it looks like there was a wiki update from mid-February that listed out the options under "Need assistance from the Waze team" with no guidance on what each option would do based on people's experience with using the form. I know that there is a dead thread in the Wiki Updates forum discussing smudges to some extent, but perhaps we can create a page update thread specifically for the smudge city and continue discussion there, or you could forgive me for resurrecting the old one? The wiki really needs to provide more insight into name versus english name, explain how Waze-provided cities have english names while editor-created ones do not, and a few other things.
I have no problem bringing up the Smudge thread in the Wiki if it is a continuation of the same or similar discussion. I personally would prefer to have single threads on a single page/topic in the Wiki to better track any prior related decisions for that same page.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
berestovskyy wrote:Kent, it's always available under Settings->About->Available checks. If you click it over the US, Validator will show enabled/disabled checks for US. And I just added a red link to the OP ;)

- New for US #106 'No state name selected'
Great and Greater! :D
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
Validator and Toolbox both believe this segment should be straightened, but in my opinion is pulls the road a little too far off the actual road since it curves. It seems like it might be a little too aggressive in what they are both considering is a straight enough line.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message