Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.
Post by sketch
Toolbox does not "scan" at all; it can only see what I can edit at a given zoom. The scan feature is Validator's great strength over other plugins, and it would be uniquely suited to this particular task. Not to mention it'd be a trivial addition to Validator, whereas adding a scanner to Toolbox would be a big change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
Regarding "(Closed)" / "(Construction Zone)" / "CONST ZN":

The "CONST ZN" suffix was a relic from a time before text-to-speech. It's pronounced "Const Zee Enn", which makes no sense. Adding the parentheses adds a pause, and now it says what it means, and it's easier to read, too. Also, when applied to closed roads, "CONST ZN" isn't really descriptive. I wouldn't expect the standard to change again unless Waze gives us a construction zone flag with a little digging man icon. One change to the Wiki in 3-4 years isn't too bad ;)

As such, the Validator should show results for anything containing "Construction Zone", "Closed", or "CONST ZN". The first two as a reminder, and the last so it can be changed.
berestovskyy wrote:
sketch wrote:Is it possible to make a report that includes every street segment with a particular name? For instance, we name U turn segments "U turn" in the New Orleans area, but many have been named "U-Turn" and "U Turn". Trying to standardize all of them is a heck of a task, but being able to search "U-Turn" in Validator would make a big difference.
You mean a check which reports all of those errors (i.e. "U-Turn", "U Turn" and so on)?
That would be nice for my purposes, but I don't know if "U turn" is used at all outside my state, or even metropolitan area. So I don't know if it'd be an appropriate addition to the entire script for the US. What I was thinking was that I could put in a name (whether "U-Turn" or "* North *" or whatever else), run the report, and get all the streets matching that name in the report.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:

Post by sketch
SuperDave1426 wrote:
As such, the Validator should show results for anything containing "Construction Zone", "Closed", or "CONST ZN". The first two as a reminder, and the last so it can be changed.
You're talking about flagging the first two without parentheses, correct?
Right, in case someone marked one without them, it could be changed. I doubt there are any "Construction Zone Blvd"s out there. "Closed" without parentheses would also be useful for showing things like ramps which are closed for construction and marked with specific messages (e.g., "CLOSED until July 2014").
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
berestovskyy wrote:
sketch wrote:Regarding "(Closed)" / "(Construction Zone)" / "CONST ZN":
According to wiki:
When a road is under long-term construction, but is not closed, add "(Construction Zone)"
So I'm not sure if Validator should suppress issues at the "not closed" road :?

A report for obsolete CONST ZN markers will be added.
Oh, of course, I wouldn't wanna suppress other issues there. I think having "Construction Zone" as a note, though, could alert editors to construction projects which may have been completed.
berestovskyy wrote:
sketch wrote:What I was thinking was that I could put in a name (whether "U-Turn" or "* North *" or whatever else), run the report, and get all the streets matching that name in the report.
At the moment all the filters run afterwards the scan. Validator scans and collects all of the issues. Then you click "Show report" and Validator applies the filters and shows the report.

This street match option you suggested would be applied during the scan and once it changed you would need to rescan the area. So this option does not fit well with the existing filter options :(
Understood, thanks anyway! :D
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
berestovskyy wrote:
dbraughlr wrote:When a USA street name starts with a compass indicator [ENSW], the next word should start with a capital letter.
We can go further and check if every word in the street name starts with a capital letter. But at the moment #94 is checking just the beginning of the street name.
No thank you. It took me about ten seconds to think of a valid example that would violate this. Similar examples, I'm sure, exist in many places.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
qwaletee wrote: You may be misreading this. It seems aimed at the "E main st" situation. A better wording of the rule logic would be "If street name begins with EWNS followed by a space followed by a lowercase letter." Yes, it is just a special case of checking first letter capitalization in general. I don't know how prevalent the problem is that we should spend CPU cycles on it.
Yes, that's what @dbraughlr asked for, which is fine. It's not, however, what @berestovskyy proposed in the alternative. I was replying to the latter.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
dbraughlr wrote:
berestovskyy wrote:... IMO it's better to create new more comprehensive check with a list of allowed lowercase words (to, a, the, de, la, etc) and report any other lowercase word no matter its position in the street name.
"De La Vina St" → pass.
"Norte de La Vina St" → pass.
"E del Paso Blvd" → error.
"Van de Vanter Ave" → pass.
"W de Vanter Ave" → error.
"S De la Cruz Blvd" → error.
"N Via de las Cruces Hwy" → error.
I agree that a better check would be to list allowed words and report any other lowercase word anywhere in the name.

Unless I missed something, we never agreed that all street names should start with a capital letter; if one is signed as starting with a lowercase letter, it should be as such in Waze. We just couldn't find an example where this was actually true. But if a city does sign "E del Paso Blvd" as such, there's no reason not to include it in Waze as such.

I do think it's a good idea to come up with a list of allowed lowercase words which can be used for all-caps signs and for validator: "to", "of", "the", "de", "el", "la", "las", "del", and whatever else we can think of that fits. Basic title case stuff, like "Avenue of the Americas" and "Via de las Cruces".
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
CBenson wrote:
sketch wrote:But if a city does sign "E del Paso Blvd" as such, there's no reason to include it in Waze as such.
Did you leave out a critical not? This seems contrary to the remainder of your post to me.
Yes, sorry. I will edit the post.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
dbraughlr wrote: Note to sketch: We have one (quirky) example so far in the entire USA. Programming Validator to allow some lowercase exceptions carries that trade-off that an incorrectly lowercase usage is accepted just so the rare exception won't be flagged.
That's fair. A Validator check for first letter notwithstanding initial compass directions is fine, though it should include a note saying that a capital letter is not required in every circumstance.

A check checking every word for capitals would require a list of exclusions, though. The two checks can coexist. It's okay if Validator throws up a warning for a "da Gama Ave" that may be correct, but we don't want it throwing up warnings for every segment of "Avenue of the Americas" which might lead editors to change it to something ugly.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sketch
berestovskyy wrote:
dbraughlr wrote:A bowtie U-turn is not too sharp.
Validator does not report too-sharp bow-ties. But this intersection is not a bow-tie.

Have a look at the Classification of crossings, DSSS:
you may want to join the double lanes into a single node, creating a sort of half-mapcat-bowtie
If you do so, Validator will detect the "half-mapcat-bowtie" and will not report "too-sharp turn". Alternatively, you can make the turn more than 30 degree or just ignore the warning.

Sure, Validator can look for similar street names, but I guess it will eliminate any use of this check, because the check basically was designed to detect situations like this...
Right, that's not really a bowtie, it's simply the point where a road transitions between split and un-split. For every situation where this happens at an intersection where U turns are allowed, there are several which happen somewhere along the road and where U turns are certainly not allowed.

As an aside, wow, that Wiki article could use some work! Lots of what-not-to-do screenshots and no corresponding how-to-do-it-right screenshots, just brief bits of text that even I have a hard time understanding. :? Needs some right-way-to-do-it examples and some big red Xes on the "don't do this" examples.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message