Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.
Post by SuperDave1426
t0cableguy wrote:Thanks for taking my post out of context.
http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/i ... hesaid.gif This.

I also appreciate validator, but it simply takes up waaaay too much real estate in the left panel, and there's absolutely no reason for it to be there all the time. Nobody who isn't Frodo isn't running a full report every two seconds, so the UI doesn't need to be there all the time. :D

It broke when WME was updated to remove the "me" tab that it had been hung on. Before that, anyone using it knew that "click on the 'me' tab" would take you to Validator. If it was in a tab of its own, then people would know that when they need the UI, they click on that tab instead. Instead of fixing it and moving to a tab, he decided to give in to those who wanted it on the left panel all the time. Sometimes, some of are on pretty small screens when we're editing, and that much real estate being sucked up by something that we're not using every single minute causes problems. Fine, it's the developer's time to spend. But most of the popular/commonly-used WME addons use tabs; and they don't break when Waze does something that fundamentally changes that left panel but leaves the well-established tab framework in place. Going to a tab now could potentially keep it from being broken when some other change occurs. Of course, if they change the tab structure, then everything breaks. :-) But to date, that hasn't happened.

BTW, this tirade is pretty much directed at iainhouse, since he decided to get on his holier-than-thou soapbox and lambaste anybody who is just expressing their desire for a feature once in a while, and making sure that the request doesn't get forgotten in so doing. As far as the addon dev goes, more power to ya, I hope you have a great upcoming holiday season, and thanks for a useful tool.
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by SuperDave1426
@khaytsus, believe me, you're not the only one who wishes that we'd get an option to put Validator on its own tab since access to the interface itself is needed so infrequently.... :?
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by SuperDave1426
crazycaveman wrote:For the most part, though, all scripts make their own tab and keep most things in there (with the sole exception of Validator, which the author has yet to change).
And which a lot of us really wish would happen.... :? ;)
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by SuperDave1426
IMO, if a reasonable attempt is made to contact him doesn't yield any results, then whoever wants to take it on should go ahead and do so. It's too important of a script to just let it die. By all means, try to contact him; just don't let a lack of being able to do so be a reason for not having someone adopting and continue to support it.
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by SuperDave1426
Sure, but there are people out there who are just stubborn enough to do it. :-)

All I was saying was that if someone wants to take it on and do all that, that we shouldn't allow a lack of being able to reach the author stop them from trying - or for coming up with a replacement of their own that does the same job.
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by SuperDave1426
taco909 wrote:WME_Behavinator will move it to a separate tab.
https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/18732 ... ehavinator
Which is awesome, and I installed it the day it was announced since I really dislike the lack of a native tab option in Validator. However, there's something that's clearly not working right with Validator itself regarding the new version of WME, as others have suggested. Whatever it is seems to be keeping Behavinator from recognizing that it's there - I have no tab showing for Validator at all at this moment.

Creating a separate topic for WME_Behavinator support might not be a bad idea, if it hasn't already happened. :-)
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by SuperDave1426
taco909 wrote: It's working on Firefox if you run the bookmarklet I included above.
That'd be great if I was using Firefox. ;)
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by SuperDave1426
Hey, I just got an update notice when I started WME and it seems to be accessible again. Has our long-lost Validator maintainer returned? :D
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by SuperDave1426
I will say this about Validator: I hope that whoever ultimately ends up supporting/maintaining it is able to do something to address the apparent resource issues with it.

I was getting pretty good response from WME during the time when Validator stopped working outright. Now that an update seems to have gone out that re-enables it, at least under Chrome with Behavionator, things have slowed down considerably. Scrolling around the map is absolutely painful on my computer. If I deactivate Validator, things get fairly speedy again. To me, at least, that suggests that something in Validator is using a LOT of resources when it's running....
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by SuperDave1426
crazycaveman wrote:As mentioned before, right as you posted this, Validator got updated to 1.1.18, which now puts it in its own tab! So, looks like your (and mine, and everyone elses) wish was granted
Who exactly has been updating Validator? Is berestovskyy back? But thanks, for sure, for finally giving us Validator on a tab!
For me it works like this. As you can see in the screenshot, the highlighting is disabled, but the run and show scan buttons are still enabled (ran a scan fine without highlighting enabled).
validator_disabled_runscan.png
Ok, I'm missing something - how does that show that highlighting is disabled in Validator? Those are the same options that I've got selected, and it just highlights like crazy (which, apparently, is the/a source of Validator slowing down WME so much as I pan around the map...). :-)
SuperDave1426
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message