Switch to full style
Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Forum rules

Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

DO NOT START a new thread unless it is about a new idea. Keep discussion of existing tools within the main thread for that tool.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.
Post a reply

Re: junctions with drivable and non-drivable

Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:11 am

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
kentsmith9 wrote:I don't think "junction at one end must have a freeway/highway/ramp segment" is true based on my knowledge.

Unless someone can identify the problem (which then can be added to the Wiki), it is certainly possible for one (Primary) Street to pass over another (Primary) Street and have a connector between them marked as a Ramp. In that situation a Ramp is fully legitimate, but not required.

Kent, I think the vast majority of situations will have a ramp connecting to a mH, MH or Fwy. However, you are correct, and I have these in my area, where primary streets cross over and there are ramps used to connect them. I believe these are legitimate use of ramps as well. "Grade-separated" doesn't exclude Primary Street type.

I agree 100% with all elements of your comment.

Re: ramp as non-highway connector

Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:03 pm

CBenson wrote:
dbraughlr wrote:
kentsmith9 wrote:Unless someone can identify the problem

Simply put, there is not Road Type for connectors below the class of highways (freeways, MH, mH).

Maybe this discussion should be split from this thread again, but I disagree with this statement. The guidance in the US, as noted above, is that ramps are to be used for grade separated connections. We could discuss changes, but "highway function" is term that we can endlessly debate. Again we should likely have that debate elsewhere.

If I understand dbraughlr's comment, he is not saying there is a problem with the current use of Ramps that the validator should prevent, but is proposing a change be made in the future. Therefore the Validator should allow ramps to connect between two Streets or Primary Streets as well as the Highway class types since they do exist in real life and do not cause routing problems.

Re: [Script] WME Validator 0.7.1 (BETA) / 20.02.2014

Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:39 pm

What do we think about moving much of the content in the various posts like Error Check List into the Wiki. We could put this list into a sortable table with the columns:
  • Number
  • Name
  • Description
  • Category (warnings, errors, etc.)
  • Countries

I found a Wiki module we could add that allows filtering http://community.wikia.com/wiki/User_bl ... ong_Tables, but it does not allow selective filtering (only filters by entire cell contents, not partial). Maybe there is something else out there we can use. Then we could filter the description field for "Turns" to see anything related to turns, etc.

Re: [Script] WME Validator 0.7.2 (BETA) / 24.02.2014

Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:23 pm

berestovskyy wrote:
kentsmith9 wrote:What do we think about moving much of the content in the various posts like Error Check List into the Wiki.

Frankly I'm happy with the current list of checks, because it takes me no time to update the list. I just click Settings->About->Available checks and copy the list into my forum post.

Understood. Is there any chance to have the tool resort the list into some order (numeric, alphabetical, type, etc)? Or is it in one now and I don't recognize it? :D

berestovskyy wrote:I had an idea to create a wiki page with the descriptions and screenshots of the issues, but at the moment I have no time for that even if it's now allowed by Waze staff. Sorry :(

Also understood. The user community controls the Wiki, so we can do whatever makes the most sense if the people doing the work have time. :mrgreen:

Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:53 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
berestovskyy wrote:
kentsmith9 wrote:The user community controls the Wiki, so we can do whatever makes the most sense

Well, in December I got the opposite answer, so I decided put everything on the forum...

At that time, I "spoke" for the community in that I didn't think it was a good idea. Also, previously, Waze didn't want the wiki to document too many details about userscripts. If that has changed...

I forgot about that post. Let me go ask the question because I am told something different and have made changes on behalf of Waze because they say the Wiki is solely maintained by the user community.

Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:02 pm

berestovskyy wrote:
kentsmith9 wrote:Is there any chance to have the tool resort the list into some order (numeric, alphabetical, type, etc)? Or is it in one now and I don't recognize it? :D

There is an order and Validator uses it everywhere (in the report, in segment's properties, in the list of available checks etc). The checks are ordered by the severity first (errors come first) and then alphabetically.

Thanks for clarifying. So the numbers are tagging the order in which the check was added, but no relation to the order of execution. In this case I guess we just need to ensure the link to that thread entry is clearly identified in the first post. I see it is there, but when I first looked I missed it somehow. I was probably just glossing through it too fast.

Because it is easy enough to use the browser Find once you get to that post, I don't think we want to spend too much time constantly updating a Wiki page that will require reformatting of that data. We should be able to at least put in a link to that entry from the Wiki. I will confirm.

Re: street name not capitalized

Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:30 am

dbraughlr wrote:
berestovskyy wrote:... IMO it's better to create new more comprehensive check with a list of allowed lowercase words (to, a, the, de, la, etc) and report any other lowercase word no matter its position in the street name.

"De La Vina St" → pass.
"Norte de La Vina St" → pass.
"E del Paso Blvd" → error.
"Van de Vanter Ave" → pass.
"W de Vanter Ave" → error.
"S De la Cruz Blvd" → error.
"N Via de las Cruces Hwy" → error.

Why are these two an error?

Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:04 pm

dbraughlr wrote:
berestovskyy wrote:... IMO it's better to create new more comprehensive check with a list of allowed lowercase words (to, a, the, de, la, etc) and report any other lowercase word no matter its position in the street name.

"De La Vina St" → pass.
"Norte de La Vina St" → pass.
"E del Paso Blvd" → error.
"Van de Vanter Ave" → pass.
"W de Vanter Ave" → error.

dbraughlr wrote:1. Failure to capitalize "La" of "La Cruz".
2. Failure to capitalize "Las" of "Las Cruces".

Validator wrote:Lowercase street name (with exceptions) (#94)
The street name starts with a lowercase letter (excluding country-specific words).
Make the first street name letter uppercase.
For countries: CZ, SK, US

I saw a discrepancy between your two statements that I could not identify the correct solution.

I did not see the official list linked to what letters are supposed to be allowed in each country. I assume there is some table? Is it buried in this forum? I think we should add it as a page in the Wiki. If someone can point me to the list I am happy to create it so we can link it like the Validator error #94. I now understand the second one if 'las' is not on the accepted list. I would then understand the first one if 'de' was not on the original displayed list.

Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:15 pm

dbraughlr wrote:
kentsmith9 wrote:I saw a discrepancy between your two statements that I could not identify the correct solution.

Are you now satisfied that there is no discrepancy between my statements?
"La Cruz" gets capitalized for the same reason that "Las Cruces" is capitalized.

drbauglr, just to clarify, "your two statements" was between you and berestovskyy. They were in disagreement from what I read and summarized here.
berestovskyy's message said "la" is allowed.
dbraughlr's message said "la" is not allowed.

Maybe the problem is berestovskyy's message was for all countries and yours was only for the USA?

But if that is the case, in California we have plenty of Spanish roads, so if "la" and "de" are allowed in other countries, why not allow it in the US? Again if there was already a thread on this I could not find it but would be happy to review to better understand if this was already discussed.
dbraughlr wrote:
kentsmith9 wrote:I did not see the official list linked to what letters are supposed to be allowed in each country.

Exceptions for the USA:
  • closed
  • construction
  • to

Thanks for the list. Is this list agreed by the whole USA community? I am not questioning your accuracy, I just did not find the thread that discussed it. I wanted to link the Wiki page to the discussion thread to prevent future questions that may debate the list.

Re: [Script] WME Validator 0.8.2 (BETA) / 09.03.2014

Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:01 am

sketch wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Maybe just edit it to redirect to the Junction Style Guide page?

Not without adding some of the content to the Junction Style Guide. I'm only now noticing that the Guide doesn't actually include guidance on split-road intersections besides the bowtie. The section should be renamed more generally, and the information in the "classification" article should be modified for inclusion into that section of the JSG. I'd also want to contact fvwazing and ask if the classification names are actually used in any context before removing them from the Wiki.

I'm short on time today, otherwise I'd make a Wiki update thread about it. If you want to do that so we can stop hijacking this thread about it, that'd be cool, and I'll get to it when I can (hopefully tomorrow). If not, I'll do so when I have the chance.

Wiki Thread Started...
Post a reply