Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.
Post by kentsmith9
berestovskyy wrote:Say if we have 500 segments at zoom 4, we have to make ~500x500/2 = 125000 comparisons (sometimes non-trivial). I'm not sure if we can optimize something here...
Wow. Maybe add it to your list of optional checks?
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
berestovskyy wrote:02.02.2014 v0.5.9:
- NEW for ALL: 'Unneeded name on one-way Ramp'
I could have missed the discussion on this one, but how does this determine it is unnecessary? I assume the subsequent ramps or streets are named.

However, I have seen plenty of very long ramps or when they are around corners where the initial exit sign naming is not the same as either of the secondary ramp split points.

Maybe this is only important if the initial segment length is too short and when TTS reports the first name it takes longer than the drive time to the next split causing the driver to miss the turn.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
berestovskyy wrote:
kentsmith9 wrote:I could have missed the discussion on this one, but how does this determine it is unnecessary?
If this one-way Ramp has a turn enabled to another one-way Ramp. Here is an example: permalink

Sorry, maybe the condition is not sufficient for US, so please let me know if I shall disable the check for US or add more ifs.
I am not sure what this means by your description of "turn enabled". Many of the one way ramps in the US will lead to other one way ramps with a turn enabled. I presume this is getting lost in the translation. ;)

Either way I do think we should consider disabling it in the US. I don't know of any situation where the name in the ramp causes problems except the point I made about short ramp segments possibly. In that case maybe we do some tests to see when it is too short and then you give the warning.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
Found a situation with a roundabout giving a warning "Same endpoints drivable segments." In this case assuming the reports that the routing engine has trouble with these by not starting people in the right place, a roundabout with the two segments going only opposite directions would force the routing server to only go through one way or the other. And worst case someone starting on the roundabout or ending on the roundabout can likely figure out the route in that circle.

Otherwise we have to add a node in the middle of one of the two segments on the roundabout. That seems like unnecessary work.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
dbraughlr wrote:A ramp must be connected at both ends and the junction at one end must have a freeway/highway/ramp segment.
I don't think "junction at one end must have a freeway/highway/ramp segment" is true based on my knowledge.
Wiki - How to label the connector type wrote:Ramps in Waze should only be used for situations where two roadways have a grade separated intersection or if the situation matches one of the Exceptions listed below. {Note the exceptions are for Ramps at grade.}
Unless someone can identify the problem (which then can be added to the Wiki), it is certainly possible for one (Primary) Street to pass over another (Primary) Street and have a connector between them marked as a Ramp. In that situation a Ramp is fully legitimate, but not required.

I propose the Validator not restrict the roadway type on either junction of a Ramp, but I am OK with the number of connections being required.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
kentsmith9 wrote:I don't think "junction at one end must have a freeway/highway/ramp segment" is true based on my knowledge.

Unless someone can identify the problem (which then can be added to the Wiki), it is certainly possible for one (Primary) Street to pass over another (Primary) Street and have a connector between them marked as a Ramp. In that situation a Ramp is fully legitimate, but not required.
Kent, I think the vast majority of situations will have a ramp connecting to a mH, MH or Fwy. However, you are correct, and I have these in my area, where primary streets cross over and there are ramps used to connect them. I believe these are legitimate use of ramps as well. "Grade-separated" doesn't exclude Primary Street type.
I agree 100% with all elements of your comment.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
CBenson wrote:
dbraughlr wrote:
kentsmith9 wrote: Unless someone can identify the problem
Simply put, there is not Road Type for connectors below the class of highways (freeways, MH, mH).
Maybe this discussion should be split from this thread again, but I disagree with this statement. The guidance in the US, as noted above, is that ramps are to be used for grade separated connections. We could discuss changes, but "highway function" is term that we can endlessly debate. Again we should likely have that debate elsewhere.
If I understand dbraughlr's comment, he is not saying there is a problem with the current use of Ramps that the validator should prevent, but is proposing a change be made in the future. Therefore the Validator should allow ramps to connect between two Streets or Primary Streets as well as the Highway class types since they do exist in real life and do not cause routing problems.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
What do we think about moving much of the content in the various posts like Error Check List into the Wiki. We could put this list into a sortable table with the columns:
  • Number
  • Name
  • Description
  • Category (warnings, errors, etc.)
  • Countries
I found a Wiki module we could add that allows filtering http://community.wikia.com/wiki/User_bl ... ong_Tables, but it does not allow selective filtering (only filters by entire cell contents, not partial). Maybe there is something else out there we can use. Then we could filter the description field for "Turns" to see anything related to turns, etc.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
berestovskyy wrote:
kentsmith9 wrote:What do we think about moving much of the content in the various posts like Error Check List into the Wiki.
Frankly I'm happy with the current list of checks, because it takes me no time to update the list. I just click Settings->About->Available checks and copy the list into my forum post.
Understood. Is there any chance to have the tool resort the list into some order (numeric, alphabetical, type, etc)? Or is it in one now and I don't recognize it? :D
berestovskyy wrote:I had an idea to create a wiki page with the descriptions and screenshots of the issues, but at the moment I have no time for that even if it's now allowed by Waze staff. Sorry :(
Also understood. The user community controls the Wiki, so we can do whatever makes the most sense if the people doing the work have time. :mrgreen:
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
berestovskyy wrote:
kentsmith9 wrote:The user community controls the Wiki, so we can do whatever makes the most sense
Well, in December I got the opposite answer, so I decided put everything on the forum...
At that time, I "spoke" for the community in that I didn't think it was a good idea. Also, previously, Waze didn't want the wiki to document too many details about userscripts. If that has changed...
I forgot about that post. Let me go ask the question because I am told something different and have made changes on behalf of Waze because they say the Wiki is solely maintained by the user community.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message