[Script] WME Validator 2019.09.24 (PLACES BETA)

Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein, Glodenox, JustinS83

Forum rules
Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

DO NOT START a new thread unless it is about a new idea. Keep discussion of existing tools within the main thread for that tool.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Re: [Script] WME Validator 2018.11.10 (BETA)

Postby jm6087 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:35 am

yaacobyy wrote:There is a problem with this error:
Same endpoints drivable segments (slow) (#78)

turbomkt wrote:
berestovskyy wrote:Thanks, yaacobyy. Will be fixed in the next release.

This should NOT be fixed. With two segments like the example, Waze may suggest a route via the wrong way. It's counter-intuitive, but I have seen it done. A two segment loop, even with one way segments, must be fixed.

I agree, it is written in the wiki not to have a segment connect to the same segment twice and should still be considered an issue.
jm6087
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby berestovskyy » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:01 pm

jm6087 wrote:I agree, it is written in the wiki not to have a segment connect to the same segment twice and should still be considered an issue.

I have reread the wiki prior the change. It's not quite clear what "two ways" means:

There are two or more ways to get from one junction node to another without going through any other nodes. They can cause a problem for the Waze app because the routing server gives your mobile app a list of node ids, but the app needs to tell you which segments to drive on. If there are two ways to get from one node to the next without going through any other nodes, then the Waze app might just have to guess.

Source: https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Junction_Sty ... ment_loops

Is there a newer version of this guide?
berestovskyy

Postby Kartografer » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:08 pm

The current version is in the US Wazeopedia, but the language is the same. I'll admit, I wasn't clear on whether one-way roads could exhibit this problem, but I according to Mike they do. I always just fix them anyway.
[ img ]
Galaxy S9 running Pie on Mint
SM Ohio, AM New Mexico, South Dakota
Wazeopedia projects
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
-John 8:32
Kartografer
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby iainhouse » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:28 am

turbomkt wrote:
berestovskyy wrote:Thanks, yaacobyy. Will be fixed in the next release.

This should NOT be fixed. With two segments like the example, Waze may suggest a route via the wrong way. It's counter-intuitive, but I have seen it done. A two segment loop, even with one way segments, must be fixed.

I have to agree. In the app, routes are provided as a list of junction nodes. The app then routes from one node to the next. If there are 2 nodes with 2 separate segments joining the nodes, the app behaviour cannot be determined. The app may instruct the user to take one segment, but show the other segment being used on-screen. In URs, I have seen one segment highlighted as the given route with instruction icons for the other route.

Whilst it might seem obvious that Waze will not route the wrong way along a one-way segment, that is no guarantee of what instructions will be given, what the app will display or what will be recorded/reported in a UR. I think it's safer that we add the extra node - even if it seems intuitively unnecessary.
[ img ][ img ][ img ]
UK AdminsUK WikiWaze FAQWMEFU Script :ugeek:
I want to go to a commune in Vermont and deal with no unit of time shorter than a season
iainhouse
Country Manager
Country Manager

Location: on the road from London to insanity, with Waze HQ in the driving seat

Postby yaacobyy » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:14 pm

If Waze gives a route through a 1-way segment in the wrong direction, this should be reported in CC as a bug so that it will be fixed sometime in the future. If it was already reported, please give a link to the report.
yaacobyy
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby iainhouse » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:33 am

I don't think it's reported as a bug and would probably not be accepted anyway.

Waze routes node-to-node and always has done. We've been told not to map multiple single segments connecting a pair of nodes and that's the very reason checks like this exist. If we reported such a routing bug, I expect the reply would be "the map is incorrect and should be fixed".

Ideally, it would be nice if the app/routing engine could spot this problem. But it hasn't for many years and I don't expect it ever will.
[ img ][ img ][ img ]
UK AdminsUK WikiWaze FAQWMEFU Script :ugeek:
I want to go to a commune in Vermont and deal with no unit of time shorter than a season
iainhouse
Country Manager
Country Manager

Location: on the road from London to insanity, with Waze HQ in the driving seat

Postby sketch » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:01 am

yaacobyy wrote:If Waze gives a route through a 1-way segment in the wrong direction, this should be reported in CC as a bug so that it will be fixed sometime in the future. If it was already reported, please give a link to the report.

You are not wrong. It is a bug, and should be reported as such, if it isn't already. It's so long-standing, though, that it long predates Centercode, and we've mapped to fix it for many, many years, and so it'll be hard to find a reproducible example, and anyway, it's very well ingrained into our mapping guidance. Also, as it's caused by such a deep and fundamental method of the routing system and the way it integrates with the app, I imagine it's not an easy fix, either.
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • tier one • new orleans
2017 chevrolet ss sedan 6mt • slipstream blue metallic
[ img ] [ img ]
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby VRF-ErwinS » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:13 am

Hi,

Is it possible (or can it be made possible) to make a report of all the roads that have been changed since a certain date or in the last number of days?
Currently a similar functionality is available in the color highlighter script, but this only changes the color of the segments, which requires extensive zooming and panning around. I'd rather have the availability of a nice report.

Thanks in advance!

Erwin
VRF-ErwinS

Postby crazycaveman » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:03 pm

VRF-ErwinS wrote:Hi,

Is it possible (or can it be made possible) to make a report of all the roads that have been changed since a certain date or in the last number of days?
Currently a similar functionality is available in the color highlighter script, but this only changes the color of the segments, which requires extensive zooming and panning around. I'd rather have the availability of a nice report.

Thanks in advance!

Erwin

Yes, that is already built in. If you go to the search options (click the magnifying glass in Validator's settings to switch to that tab), you can enter the date. If you want to find all segments that have been updated since a certain time, you'll need to set up a custom check, as well. Click the Gear button and enter the same text in both the template and RegExp fields (something like a and a would do it).
[ img ][ img ] [ img ][ img ][ img ]
ARC: South Atlantic Region
crazycaveman
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby dougp01 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:42 am

Does the validator include wrong state?

I am working in an area of NW Montana and finding some old problems with roads marked as Idaho. And yet the validator seems to miss these.

Thanks!
dougp01
Map Raider
Map Raider

PreviousNext

Return to Addons, Extensions, and Scripts