[Script] WME Validator 1.1.20 / 03.11.2016

Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Forum rules
Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

DO NOT START a new thread unless it is about a new idea. Keep discussion of existing tools within the main thread for that tool.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Re: street name not capitalized

Postby dbraughlr » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:09 pm

sketch wrote:A Validator check for first letter notwithstanding initial compass directions is fine ...

I am saying that this is necessary to make check #94 complete - and that checking every word against a list cannot substitute for checking the first actual word alone. So we need a list of words that are ignored at the beginning of a name ("E", "N", "S", "W", "to"). A note that false positives are theoretically possible is fine by me.
dbraughlr

Postby sketch » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:44 pm

dbraughlr wrote:Note to sketch: We have one (quirky) example so far in the entire USA. Programming Validator to allow some lowercase exceptions carries that trade-off that an incorrectly lowercase usage is accepted just so the rare exception won't be flagged.

That's fair. A Validator check for first letter notwithstanding initial compass directions is fine, though it should include a note saying that a capital letter is not required in every circumstance.

A check checking every word for capitals would require a list of exclusions, though. The two checks can coexist. It's okay if Validator throws up a warning for a "da Gama Ave" that may be correct, but we don't want it throwing up warnings for every segment of "Avenue of the Americas" which might lead editors to change it to something ugly.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby dbraughlr » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:34 pm

kentsmith9 wrote:I saw a discrepancy between your two statements that I could not identify the correct solution.

Are you now satisfied that there is no discrepancy between my statements?
"La Cruz" gets capitalized for the same reason that "Las Cruces" is capitalized.

kentsmith9 wrote:I did not see the official list linked to what letters are supposed to be allowed in each country.

Current exceptions for the USA for first word of name:
  • to

kentsmith9 wrote:I now understand the second one if 'las' is not on the accepted list. I would then understand the first one if 'de' was not on the original displayed list.

The main point of my post was to demonstrate that allowing a word to be lowercase necessarily will fail to detect when that word should be capitalized and that the compass direction (e.g., "W de Vanter Ave") must be excluded when evaluating what is the first letter of a name.

Note to sketch: We have one (quirky) example so far in the entire USA. Programming Validator to allow some lowercase exceptions carries that trade-off that an incorrectly lowercase usage is accepted just so the rare exception won't be flagged.
Last edited by dbraughlr on Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dbraughlr

Postby sketch » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:45 pm

CBenson wrote:
sketch wrote:But if a city does sign "E del Paso Blvd" as such, there's no reason to include it in Waze as such.

Did you leave out a critical not? This seems contrary to the remainder of your post to me.

Yes, sorry. I will edit the post.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sketch » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:39 pm

dbraughlr wrote:
berestovskyy wrote:... IMO it's better to create new more comprehensive check with a list of allowed lowercase words (to, a, the, de, la, etc) and report any other lowercase word no matter its position in the street name.

"De La Vina St" → pass.
"Norte de La Vina St" → pass.
"E del Paso Blvd" → error.
"Van de Vanter Ave" → pass.
"W de Vanter Ave" → error.
"S De la Cruz Blvd" → error.
"N Via de las Cruces Hwy" → error.

I agree that a better check would be to list allowed words and report any other lowercase word anywhere in the name.

Unless I missed something, we never agreed that all street names should start with a capital letter; if one is signed as starting with a lowercase letter, it should be as such in Waze. We just couldn't find an example where this was actually true. But if a city does sign "E del Paso Blvd" as such, there's no reason not to include it in Waze as such.

I do think it's a good idea to come up with a list of allowed lowercase words which can be used for all-caps signs and for validator: "to", "of", "the", "de", "el", "la", "las", "del", and whatever else we can think of that fits. Basic title case stuff, like "Avenue of the Americas" and "Via de las Cruces".
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:04 pm

dbraughlr wrote:
berestovskyy wrote:... IMO it's better to create new more comprehensive check with a list of allowed lowercase words (to, a, the, de, la, etc) and report any other lowercase word no matter its position in the street name.

"De La Vina St" → pass.

dbraughlr wrote:1. Failure to capitalize "La" of "La Cruz".
2. Failure to capitalize "Las" of "Las Cruces".

Validator wrote:Lowercase street name (with exceptions) (#94)
The street name starts with a lowercase letter (excluding country-specific words).
Make the first street name letter uppercase.
For countries: CZ, SK, US

I saw a discrepancy between your two statements that I could not identify the correct solution.

I did not see the official list linked to what letters are supposed to be allowed in each country. I assume there is some table? Is it buried in this forum? I think we should add it as a page in the Wiki. If someone can point me to the list I am happy to create it so we can link it like the Validator error #94. I now understand the second one if 'las' is not on the accepted list. I would then understand the first one if 'de' was not on the original displayed list.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby dbraughlr » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:45 am

kentsmith9 wrote:Why are these two an error?

1. Failure to capitalize "La" of "La Cruz".
2. Failure to capitalize "Las" of "Las Cruces".
dbraughlr

Postby kentsmith9 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:30 am

dbraughlr wrote:

"De La Vina St" → pass.

Why are these two an error?
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby dbraughlr » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:16 am

"De La Vina St" → pass.
dbraughlr

Re: same end points is insufficient to find overlays

Postby dbraughlr » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:29 pm

berestovskyy wrote:- DISABLED for ALL: 'Same endpoints drivable segments'

I still receive this warning for segments with very distinct paths, often with one being much longer than the other. I think Kent is correct. It matters when the geometry of one segment is completely overlapped by the geometry of other segments. If the segments are several meters apart, then one cannot hide the other.

A segment which has a geometry point at least 5 m from any point along any other segment cannot be hidden by that segment.
dbraughlr

PreviousNext

Return to Addons, Extensions, and Scripts