Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.
Post by bz2012
FIrst time I have tried using the TYPE ferry, I see a problem: It is flagged as 'non drivable connected to drivable'.

Although literally, a ferry route isn't 'drivable', the vehicle enters and leaves the segment at the ends, so the segment NEEDS to be connected to drivables at both ends and should be treated by Validator as drivable.
bz2012
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by bz2012
It appears that a recent update of WME has broken Validator.
It is now flagging ALL segments as 'no inward connectivity', 'no outward connectivity'.

This is true, even with ALL other extensions disabled.

Discussion in the WME thread shows that the same problem was known to exist in the beta WME.
bz2012
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message
Last edited by bz2012 on Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by bz2012
NIce fast response. THANK YOU!!!!!!
bz2012
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by bz2012
A hidden problem that was not flagged by validator?
https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... 3,83339691
These two segments 'met' but no 'turn arrow' was visible at the meeting point.

The segments were at different elevations and had somehow been brought into proximity without being connected.

I can remember when WME did not connect in a case like that. I used to need to temporarily change the elevation of one segment to match the other before I could connect them. In this case, I just grabbed the west end of the eastern segment and moved it away, dropped it, and then moved it back and it connected. I then allowed the turn. I think that should fix the 'no routing through that junction' problem.

I expected Validator to be flagging both segments and saying that the drivables were not connected, there was no such flagging nor message shown when either was selected.
bz2012
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by bz2012
sketch wrote:This is what I have written down. I haven't verified or updated it recently. For example, you can see that Ferry isn't in there.

Code: Select all

typeRank
15 freeway
14 major highway
13 minor highway
12 ramp
11 primary street
10 street   ***** broken ******  highlights street and service road.
9 service road   **** broken ******  highlights nothing
8 dirt road
7 parking lot road
6 private road
5 walking trail
4 pedestrian bdwk
3 stairway
2 railroad
1 runway

type
1 street
2 primary street
3 freeway
4 ramp
5 walking trail
6 major hwy
7 minor hwy
8 dirt
10 ped boardwalk
16 stairway
17 private road
18 railroad
19 runway
20 parking lot road
21 service road
2015-02-25_164731.jpg
(129.96 KiB) Downloaded 1069 times
2015-02-25_164542.jpg
(138.93 KiB) Downloaded 1049 times
https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... 388&zoom=6

I have not found one for ferry, yet.

And the Service Road is not really broken, it just seems like all service roads have been converted to street. xxxx scratch that.... the service road seems to now be a NULL type, and being flagged as non drivable connected to drivable! strange.

That happened for no apparent reason. I saw a '1' in the save box, hit save, got an error and canceled the save and then I see this:
2015-02-25_170509.jpg
(139.76 KiB) Downloaded 1054 times
By the way, the segments with the line in them are being highlighted by WME color highlights as 'NON-Drive-able.
A bit odd that railroads are NOT being flagged as non drivable and Ferry is.
bz2012
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by bz2012
taco909 wrote:....
I suspect that the "street name on two-way ramp" is there to call attention to the fact that there is a RAMP that is set to two-way.
In the US, this is extremely rare. The only place I've seen it is at the US/Mexico border crossing for the turn-around lanes.
I have seen named and two way ramps used for some access ramps
to/from HOV/HOT/Toll lanes ---- park and ride lots.
IMHO, given that something on the Validator report indicates something that needs to be looked at, but perhaps not always "fixed", I think the alert is a valid one, and perhaps another alert should be added for any 2-way ramp segments.

But like WMECH and TB, I would be happy to see more granular control over Validator's reported errors so that individual errors such as this could be toggled off.
Agreed, and THANKS for Validator. It helps make WME tolerable. :)
bz2012
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by bz2012
perhaps 'and' rather than '&' ?
bz2012
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by bz2012
Encountered a weird problem today. It turned out that there were two nodes at exactly the same location.

Because of this coincidence, there was an intersection that visually appeared correct (no red arrow in the forward direction, but no traffic was being routed through that intersection because the apparent 'best continuation' had no connection.

Validator didn't flag for lack of connection because there was a connection to the node, it just wasn't useful because it was a 'one way' crossover that was actually the wrong direction.

I wonder: could Validator flag situations where two nodes are 'stacked' on top of each other?

I doubt it happens often but it sure was a puzzle. Another editor checked and commented that the nodes had exactly the same coordinates so they were probably created by some bug.

Again: 4 segments appeared to be connected at a single node, but there were only two pairs connected and no routing continuity for a major road, so drivers were being routed off, to make a 'u-turn' and then back on to continue on the other side of the discontinuity. No flags from Validator were showing.

There was one 'clue' There were no 'green arrows' where there should have been.
The problem becomes clear when the nodes are moved a bit.

bz2012
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message
Last edited by bz2012 on Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:19 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Post by bz2012
How about someone building an 'interface' (shell) within which Validator would be installed.
That interface would give Validator a filtered view of WME and that view would look exactly like WME did before Waze 'updated' WME.

That should be possible (I'm not saying easy) and that would not violate the usage terms for Validator.

I know I can't do it, and it might be slow and some of the errors might be difficult to 'translate' from 'new WME' to 'old WME'. But it should be possible. And heck, it might even be easier than figuring out how to 'fix' Validator. :)

Just a crazy idea that occurred to me. (kind of like 'sugar coating the bitter medicine')
bz2012
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message
Last edited by bz2012 on Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by bz2012
turbomkt wrote:
bz2012 wrote:How about someone building an 'interface' (shell) within which Validator would be installed. ....
Just a crazy idea that occurred to me. (kind of like 'sugar coating the bitter medicine')
I believe this is the essential intent of Waze Wrap.
It looks like someone will need to publish a 'wrapped validator' or something like that, which encases validator in wazewrap as Wazewrap is NOT intended as a 'stand alone', but something invoked by an extension. So, in the case of validator, to live by the letter of the creator, the Validator code must remain inviolate and encapsulated within a new extension that wraps it and Waze Wrap together.
In the case of Validator, it may require special tailoring of the wrapper to transfer all data. And, as WME changes, it may require special updating the wrapper.
bz2012
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message