[Script] WME Validator 1.1.16 / 29.01.2016

Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Moderator: Unholy

Forum rules
Discussion for the unofficial, community-developed addons, extensions and scripts built for the Waze Map Editor.

DO NOT START a new thread unless it is about a new idea. Keep discussion of existing tools within the main thread for that tool.

The official index of these tools is the Community Plugins, Extensions and Tools wiki page.

Re: [Script] WME Validator 1.0.0 / 26.05.2014

Postby ispyisail » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:07 pm

My suggestion is to add set City and Street default fields to 'None'.

Are you suggesting finding all "streets" and "cities" without names by default?

If so I don't like that idea
New Zealand and Papua New Guinea Country Manager
ImageImageImage
ispyisail
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Re: [Script] WME Validator 1.0.0 / 26.05.2014[Script] WME V

Postby pvaladares » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:05 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
pvaladares wrote:My suggestion is to add set City and Street default fields to 'None'.

This should not be a global option. We catch lots of new/bad editors by being able to see the red roads at very wide zoom levels.

There are a lot more of bad editing practices than leaving red roads.
If you find a bad editor you can already use WME Colour Highlight to show all its editions.

I find very tedious to manually set no city and no street. There are small towns / Islands completely not mapped and this keeps edition back.
Last edited by pvaladares on Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Country Manager for Portugal | Champ | Expert Android and others
Area Manager for Luanda (Angola) and Macau (China)
Forum PT | Wiki PT | Facebook PT | Twitter PT
pvaladares
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Re: default city name

Postby dbraughlr » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:32 am

If someone has bothered to install add-ons, he probably knows about red roads. But no problem, just make the feature r3 and up.

As for what the default city is, it would be nice to have it set to the city of its attachment point(s) rather than None. If the cities are different or incomplete, then the City field cannot be automatically completed.

I've net seen an explanation for why political boundaries aren't stored in a single database somewhere.
We really shouldn't have to set the city name at all. There would be no smudges. It truly would save a lot of work.
dbraughlr

New thoughts

Postby krikketdoug » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:19 am

I know I'm just a jr editor, and have found this to be a porwerful tool. Im very glad for my informal mentor for pointing me this way. :)

And please forgive me in advance if I go into too much detail. I tend to overexplain, but am trying to keep things to a minimum. I've already edited out a few bits.

I was only planning on reading part of the thread and commenting, but was learning too much to stop reading every message, even though due to work constraints it took me a couple of days. (Okay, I took some time off to read a book and watch some TV, but you get the idea...)

A few of checks that I'd like to propose be added:

1> Walking trails and other non-drivable road types that have a elevation of something other than -5 be flagged. By running the script near my home, I found a few examples of this, so I have a feeling it's not that uncommon of an error.

2> Now that the US is moving to a Functional Classification system, I've found an odd segment here and there that don't match the new FC system. Each side of the segment has a different road type but the same street name. Usually it's a short segment between a parking lot and a cross street, but I'm wondering how many more are out there. From what I understand, the changing of the road type can cause routing problems. So I propose we check against that as well.

3> Another check that would probably have to be handled on the country level now that Landmarks has transisitioned to Places is a check on the new Places markers versus what the rules say they should be. For example, for a while a religious site was permitted while a simple church was not. On the other hand many editors concluded that any site that had hundreds of worshippers visiting it every day or was over a hundred years old (Hey! I'm in America! Here that is a long time!) or... You get the idea. In each country there should be (eventually) a list of approved typed of markers in the Wiki that could be used to compare what is used. [edited to remove additional unnecessary examples]

Much simpler under the new rules, if I understand everything correctly. Just mark them all places(points) instead of places(areas). [edited to remove a reference to the unnecessary examples]

Krikket
Last edited by krikketdoug on Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Krikket
a.k.a. Doug Krick

ImageImage
Chicago Speed and Traffic Cameras
http://webapps1.cityofchicago.org/traffic/
krikketdoug

Re: [Script] WME Validator 1.0.0 / 26.05.2014

Postby kentsmith9 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:18 am

Validator and Toolbox both believe this segment should be straightened, but in my opinion is pulls the road a little too far off the actual road since it curves. It seems like it might be a little too aggressive in what they are both considering is a straight enough line.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re: New thoughts

Postby sketch » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:38 pm

krikketdoug wrote:1> Walking trails and other non-drivable road types that have a elevation of something other than -5 be flagged. By running the script near my home, I found a few examples of this, so I have a feeling it's not that uncommon of an error.

I'm not sure how much of the rules support this, exactly. Railroads are to be set at -5, certainly, as are Walking Trails (if mapped at all), I believe, but a Pedestrian Boardwalk shouldn't always, necessarily. I think a lot of these rules are in flux.

2> Now that the US is moving to a Functional Classification system, I've found an odd segment here and there that don't match the new FC system. Each side of the segment has a different road type but the same street name. Usually it's a short segment between a parking lot and a cross street, but I'm wondering how many more are out there. From what I understand, the changing of the road type can cause routing problems. So I propose we check against that as well.

This could be good -- given 3 segments with the same name, if the segment in the middle has a different type than the segments on the ends, flag it. I imagine this would be a 'slow' check, but that's fine.

3> Another check that would probably have to be handled on the country level now that Landmarks has transisitioned to Places is a check on the new Places markers versus what the rules say they should be. For example, for a while a religious site was permitted while a simple church was not. On the other hand many editors concluded that any site that had hundreds of worshippers visiting it every day or was over a hundred years old (Hey! I'm in America! Here that is a long time!) or... You get the idea. In each country there should be (eventually) a list of approved typed of markers in the Wiki that could be used to compare what is used. [edited to remove additional unnecessary examples]

Much simpler under the new rules, if I understand everything correctly. Just mark them all places(points) instead of places(areas). [edited to remove a reference to the unnecessary examples]

Krikket

I don't mind the idea, but I think Places is still too young to start incorporating things into Validator about it -- especially in the rest of the world.

kentsmith9 wrote:Validator and Toolbox both believe this segment should be straightened, but in my opinion is pulls the road a little too far off the actual road since it curves. It seems like it might be a little too aggressive in what they are both considering is a straight enough line.

The Validator-Toolbox highlights are pulled straight from Toolbox -- in other words, Validator is just reporting what Toolbox reports in its reports -- so only Toolbox's selection criteria will affect this (but I agree that Toolbox is too aggressive in this function).
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
new orleans based • detroit enthusiast • usa country manager
2013 ford focus titanium hatchback 5mt • performance blue
Image Image
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:58 pm

sketch wrote:
kentsmith9 wrote:Validator and Toolbox both believe this segment should be straightened, but in my opinion is pulls the road a little too far off the actual road since it curves. It seems like it might be a little too aggressive in what they are both considering is a straight enough line.

The Validator-Toolbox highlights are pulled straight from Toolbox -- in other words, Validator is just reporting what Toolbox reports in its reports -- so only Toolbox's selection criteria will affect this (but I agree that Toolbox is too aggressive in this function).

Thanks. I will move my comment to that thread.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby krikketdoug » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:30 pm

sketch wrote:I'm not sure how much of the rules support this, exactly. Railroads are to be set at -5, certainly, as are Walking Trails (if mapped at all), I believe, but a Pedestrian Boardwalk shouldn't always, necessarily. I think a lot of these rules are in flux.

I could have sworn I saw somewhere on the Wiki that all non-drivable roads should be -5 (except airline runways, which should be a 9) but that might just be a local agreement. There is a reason I'm a timid editor when I'm outside my normal area. :D

Krikket wrote:3> Another check that would probably have to be handled on the country level now that Landmarks has transisitioned to Places is a check on the new Places markers versus what the rules say they should be. For example, for a while a religious site was permitted while a simple church was not. On the other hand many editors concluded that any site that had hundreds of worshippers visiting it every day or was over a hundred years old (Hey! I'm in America! Here that is a long time!) or... You get the idea. In each country there should be (eventually) a list of approved typed of markers in the Wiki that could be used to compare what is used. [edited to remove additional unnecessary examples]

I don't mind the idea, but I think Places is still too young to start incorporating things into Validator about it -- especially in the rest of the world.

Agreed. But it is a thought for the future as Places matures.
Krikket
a.k.a. Doug Krick

ImageImage
Chicago Speed and Traffic Cameras
http://webapps1.cityofchicago.org/traffic/
krikketdoug

Postby berestovskyy » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:17 pm

krikketdoug wrote:1> Walking trails and other non-drivable road types that have a elevation of something other than -5 be flagged.

You can use a custom check in Validator for that:
template: ${typeRank}:${elevation}
regexp: /^5:(?!-5)/

But in fact at the moment Validator does the opposite. In some countries it highlights walking trails with elevation -5 (check #105).

krikketdoug wrote:2> Now that the US is moving to a Functional Classification system,

I did not hear about US Functional Classification, so I can't comment this, sorry.

krikketdoug wrote:3> Another check [...] Just mark them all places(points) instead of places(areas).

At the moment Validator does not support landmarks/places layer. There are some plans, but no promises, sorry :(
berestovskyy

Postby kentsmith9 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:53 pm

krikketdoug wrote:
sketch wrote:I'm not sure how much of the rules support this, exactly. Railroads are to be set at -5, certainly, as are Walking Trails (if mapped at all), I believe, but a Pedestrian Boardwalk shouldn't always, necessarily. I think a lot of these rules are in flux.

I could have sworn I saw somewhere on the Wiki that all non-drivable roads should be -5 (except airline runways, which should be a 9) but that might just be a local agreement.

I could not find that detail in the primary Wiki page on Runways:
Main Wiki Page on Runways wrote:For aircraft at airports. Where a street also serves as a taxiway (such as in a community with through-the-fence access) map the street as a street. No drivable road should connect to or cross over any runway. A road may cross under a runway.
Each runway may be mapped as a single segment for identification purposes and locked to prevent lower ranking editors from attaching a road to the runway. Do not form junctions where runways cross. Name each runway using the FAA airport identifier, the word runway, and the runway designations with the lower number first (e.g., "KSMF Runway 16R-34L".)
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Addons, Extensions, and Scripts